Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to wear my pants around my hips (top of the pelvis maybe?). Right at the top of those big bones on the side. I don't know that this would be considered low-rise, but definitely not high-rise.

I've had issues when I tuck IWB into my pants that the bottom of the gun will dig into my leg or rear end. Or sometimes into the edge of my hip bone where the femur joins the pelvis (sorry I'm not a doctor).

I'm therefore thinking of trying a high ride holster to hopefully put more of the gun up and less down below my waistline to prevent it from digging into these areas below my waist.

I'm curious about the folks here and how you wear your pants vs the ride of your holster. I'm wondering if people who prefer a regular or low riding holster might tend to wear their pant waists more up by their belly buttons? Or if people who like high-ride holsters tend to wear their pant waists lower?

Or is this just one of those.....it just depends what gun and holster works for you and pant locations and holster ride really don't matter that much?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I’d have to have on suspenders if my britches were falling down no way around that. If your britches are falling down then the belt needs to be tighter, pull your pants up and that should help.

For folks that don’t like a regular belt holster then a belly band is good, but you still need to pull your britches up so they don’t fall around your ankles, hard to run like that if you need too. 👍🏻

Here you go, there is a song about that.....

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I think you nailed it in your last paragraph. Depends on gun, holster and torso length as well as exactly where on the belt line you call AIWB. I wear a small 2" revolver over my leg at about 2:00 but, I wear a 4" revolver with the barrel right off at center line at 12:15 so the barrel misses my leg when seated.

For me and the pants I wear my buckle sits about an inch below my belly button.
What gun(s) do you carry?

·
Super Moderator
16,410 Posts
I wear my pants about the same way you do with the belt buckle about 1 ½-2 inches below my navel with no pinching or gouging. My normal EDC is a Micro Compact 1911 worn IWB at 3 o’clock but that works equally well with a Commander or even a Government model.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
One work around I have found is a holster with adjustable ride height. An example of this is the Single clip Protos M from Black Arch Holsters. Not trying to push the holster, only giving you an example so that you can visualize how the ride height changes.

I prefer a low ride holster. The top of my belt is about 1 - 1.5 inches below my navel. The bottom of my belt rides just above my anterior superior iliac spine (I think, it's the "front pointy part of the hip bone." If there's a doctor on the board reading this and shaking his or her head, feel free to chime in, I won't be offended).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like holsters themselves holster position and height tend to be fairly personal choices. I’m older and prefer my pants at my waist and my holsters to ride high and close. I only use owb holsters and find it easy to conceal under most shirts. Since most of us guys don’t have much for hips lower waste pants tend to drag down more with the weight of the weapon and reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
One's physiology along with the intangible "what is comfortable for you" will be different for everyone. Even someone with a close copy of your body type may find uncomfortable what you find comfortable. It really is one of those things that just has to be worked out individually.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My pants ride about 1.5" below the navel. I prefer lower ride holsters when carrying IWB. I am running a RM Lowrider for the Glock 26 and just received another RM Lowrider for my Sig P365.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
greetings...

i agree to look up tier 1... mine only needs to drop one adjustment hole to achieve master grip with barely feeling my belt with my knuckles...

tier 1

j o

·
Registered
933 Posts
High-ride holsters work best with shortie pistols.
Getting a full-size, full-length pistol up and out of a high-ride holster requires some amount of time-and-motion-wasting contortion.

A well-designed high-ride holster requires a very strong belt to both support it, and to reduce the twisting-outward effect.
Bob Mernickle makes high-ride holsters which really stay in place, due to his own particular design trick.
I have one, made for a Officers'-Model-size 1911, and it works very well indeed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts