Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Para Warthawg .45, used, from my local gun store. Brought it home and put about 200 rds through it without any problems. Used WWB and American Eagle as I was just messing around. I took it to the range the other day with some American Eagle rounds. Shot one mag without incident, then about half of the second mag before it malfunctioned. The hammer would not lock into cocked position for some reason. The slide moved easily, the trigger moved fine, and the hammer moved easily, it just would not lock into firing position. I had a friend who is a gunsmith-in-training look at it, and he found that the sear spring had slipped off of it's place on the disconnector, which usually holds the sear in position to grab and hold the hammer. He put it back in place, fixing the problem. I get the gun back and figure I better test it. On the last round of the second mag, the same thing happens. I took it apart myself now that I knew what to look for and sure enough, the sear spring was out of position. There is no visible damage to the spring, disconnector, or sear, so I don't know what would be causing it. It has performed flawlessly until now. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Or can anyone point me to a site that deals with this problem specifically? Because I can't find anything about it on google. Thanks in advance!:smile:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Send it back to Para they'll fix it. Call them up from the repair number on their web site. Chances are something there either the hammer, sear or maybe the spring need to be replaced. Once there they should go through the whole thing. That's what happens when you buy a used handgun. I traded for an SS Warthog and it was never carried or fired except from the factory. Great weapon for .45 1911 carry. I've carried a Glock 27 off duty for years and wanted something in a .45 the same size and this fits the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that the guarantee was only for the original purchaser. I have no idea what they would charge to look at the gun, find, and fix the problem. Anyone have an approximate price/guess?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doesn't matter if you are the original owner or not the manufacturer will look and repair the weapon. As to the warranty concerning a used weapon I wouldn't worry about. You bought a used weapon and have to deal with it. Instead of looking for an easy way out simply call Para USA tell them your problem and send it to them. For example I own a Colt LE carbine and a few Bushmasters M4A3 in SBR and a M4A1 full auto. I was having issues with a 11.5" upper. Sent them the entire upper and after a few days I received a call. They told me the bolt carrier group was the problem and it wasn't even theirs. They replaced the BGC for free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well, following maritz's advice, I called Para's service number and within 5 minutes was talking to someone about my problem. He said that from my description, I had a defective sear spring. He took my address and said a new spring would ship tomorrow. The whole process took less time than it took to write this post. I hope he's right about the spring being the problem, but either way, I am seriously impressed with their customer service. I suppose a mod can close this thread if necessary. Thanks again for the advice, maritz. I should have thought of that myself! :embarassed:

·
Registered
38 Posts
No problem glad it worked out for you. As the old adage goes K.I.S.S. "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID." Anytime you have a problem with a weapon and hopefully it's a quality weapon the manufacturer would rather keep the owner happy. They don't want one of their products / name trashed. Don't know how well you shoot but for advice do yourself a favor and practice with a locked wrist. Heard and seen many shooters with Warthogs and other 1911's with more jams than ever. Majority of these are the shooter's fault for limp-wristing the weapon, the other was due to faulty reloads. My 1911 was made in 1918 and I carried it during my time in the USMC and I still shoot it. A friend back in the armory back in 75 put on a arch spring, barrel, bushing and slide and as long as I shoot 230gr FMJ it has never jammed on me. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts