Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for feedback on this gun. I have been searching for a single stack thin, slim, light, CCW and was going to go the 1911 route, but I am just not ready to carry Cocked and Locked. I totally understand that it is safe its just not my desire right now. so my search led me to the Para PDA with the LDA trigger and wanted to see how people have liked them. I would like something that I can carry with one in the chamber but a safety.

A couple of info I need clarification on...
1. Does the slide lock back on last round??? I can;t imagine it wouldnt but I read that online.
2. Does it have a safety?
3. Can I carry it cocked and lcoked with the hammer down, so to speak??
4. Is it Reliable?

·
Administrator
21,348 Posts
I am looking for feedback on this gun. I have been searching for a single stack thin, slim, light, CCW and was going to go the 1911 route, but I am just not ready to carry Cocked and Locked. I totally understand that it is safe its just not my desire right now. so my search led me to the Para PDA with the LDA trigger and wanted to see how people have liked them. I would like something that I can carry with one in the chamber but a safety.
Info in different font.

A couple of info I need clarification on...
1. Does the slide lock back on last round??? I can;t imagine it wouldnt but I read that online.

YES, it will lock back on it's own, the slide stop is unchanged
2. Does it have a safety?

Yes, it has the thumb safety and grip safety like any other 1911
3. Can I carry it cocked and lcoked with the hammer down, so to speak?
Yes, the gun is cocked (hammer at rest) with the thumb safety on the same as any other 1911 only the hammer is down, not back.
4. Is it Reliable?
I would say yes, but opinions vary.
The Para PDA and their other "carry" genre guns that have the abbreviated grip safety are not all that fun to shoot, I didn't like it buy opinions vary.

I don't understand why a SAO 1911 cocked with thumb safety is out, but a cocked DAO with thumb safety on is in, other than the position of the hammer it's about the same, you're still one trigger pull away from a shot being fired once the safeties are deactivated...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok, I know everyone always tells everyone to go look at the Glock, and I'm usually not one of those guys.

However, having just recently bounced the exact same thoughts around my head, I found myself looking at the Glock 36. My thinking: It's a $500 version( vs. $1000+) of a single stack .45, which weighs less (a good bit less), in a gun that will get banged up and not look pretty after a few years (any carry gun), and that if you use it gets taken away from you(by the police) and maybe never given back.

Unfortunately, I know nothing first hand about Paras, so I can't help you there.

Hope this is of some use to you! :smile:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have one that was my carry gun for a while. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the slide was difficult to lock back, not that it was hard in regards to how much force was needed to lock it back but it just didn't want to catch. It's now simply a range gun for others to shoot. I have moved on to a Kimber Custom Pro II.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok, I know everyone always tells everyone to go look at the Glock, and I'm usually not one of those guys.

However, having just recently bounced the exact same thoughts around my head, I found myself looking at the Glock 36. My thinking: It's a $500 version( vs. $1000+) of a single stack .45, which weighs less (a good bit less), in a gun that will get banged up and not look pretty after a few years (any carry gun), and that if you use it gets taken away from you(by the police) and maybe never given back.

Unfortunately, I know nothing first hand about Paras, so I can't help you there.

Hope this is of some use to you! :smile:
the exact reason i got a 36....i wanted a compact .45 single stack, but couldnt shell out the 800 to 1000 for a handgun just yet.
I love the feel of the Para carry models, and almost got one. But the 36 also felt great and was a 500 bucks :smoke23:

·
Administrator
21,348 Posts
How does the G36 compare to the 1911 in terms of width in both the Slide and the Grips??
The Glock is thicker on both measurements. Not sure of the exact measurements of the PDA, but 1911 slides are less than 1" with the widest point of the gun (usually frame to outer edge of slide stop or thumb safety) being 1.28. A G36 is 1.26.

1911 grip width will vary depending on which grip panels are being used. If the PDA has "Slim Grips" it will probably beat out the Glock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I carry the PDA in 9mm. The first 30 rds it was not reliable, many did not fire on first hit. After 100 rd break in, very reliable. I really love that gun! I also own and carry the Para cco and in 45 and LDA. Love that gun!

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts