Defensive Carry banner

What sort of parallax adjustment do you prefer for rifle scopes?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to scopes for a rifle, what is your preference? No parallax adjustment, adjustable objective, or side parallax adjustment?

This is something that I didn't really start to pay attention to until a couple years ago, and most of the scopes I had bought previously did not have a way to adjust the parallax on the scope. Since then I have started to upgrade the scopes on most of my rifles to have a side parallax adjustment feature. I like this for a number of reasons, primarily because I can adjust the parallax without moving from my shooting position (vs. and AO).

I guess the downside to the adjustment is that you need to have a rough idea of the distance to your target so you know what to adjust the parallax to, or else the image will not be as clear as it could be. The good news is that you can use the parallax adjustment as a rough range finding tool, as you can adjust it until the target is clear, and it will give you a rough idea of range because of the setting (at least up until you hit the infinity setting). It also is slightly more bulk and complexity for the scope.

Any other reasons that you have chosen to go with one of the options for your scopes?

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
My big game hunting scopes are fixed 6X with fixed objective. Nothing to adjust, nothing to find out of adjustment at the wrong time! My target and varmint scopes all have AO. with targets as small as ground squirrels I need all the help I can get. I have two scopes that are 6x24, and two that are 8x32. without the AO they would be pretty much useless! I have not tried a side focus yet but it will be on my next rifle! DR

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I like side myself.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Side.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Scopes mounted on "social" or "dangerous game" rifles (IMHO) are kept as simple as possible. Long range, rimfire or varmint rifles need AO, with my preference toward side-focus. :yup:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've got one of these sitting here just waiting for the gun to come in.
Steering part Transmission part Wheel
How's that for adjustable? :yup:

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
What is it going on?

Would anyone like to expand on why they have their opinion?
For me it's easier to manipulate without loosing my cheekweld on the stock.

Reactions: airslot and SatCong

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Side. Of my 6 scopes, three are Nightforce NSX Compacts and two came with a side adjustment which I like a lot. Three are Vortex Viper PSTs and also came with it.

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
When it comes to scopes for a rifle, what is your preference? No parallax adjustment, adjustable objective, or side parallax adjustment?

This is something that I didn't really start to pay attention to until a couple years ago, and most of the scopes I had bought previously did not have a way to adjust the parallax on the scope. Since then I have started to upgrade the scopes on most of my rifles to have a side parallax adjustment feature. I like this for a number of reasons, primarily because I can adjust the parallax without moving from my shooting position (vs. and AO).

I guess the downside to the adjustment is that you need to have a rough idea of the distance to your target so you know what to adjust the parallax to, or else the image will not be as clear as it could be. The good news is that you can use the parallax adjustment as a rough range finding tool, as you can adjust it until the target is clear, and it will give you a rough idea of range because of the setting (at least up until you hit the infinity setting). It also is slightly more bulk and complexity for the scope.

Any other reasons that you have chosen to go with one of the options for your scopes?
Oh yes for long range shooting.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sat, I somehow knew you'd have nice "level-headed" Burris. Is that on a Sendaro? :image035:

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
Sat, I somehow knew you'd have nice "level-headed" Burris. Is that on a Sendaro? :image035:
Very close, 700 P 300 Win Mag. Does a nice job at 1,000 yards and out to 1,805 yards. And that Burris helps a old man do it.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
I have the same scope on my AR10 and the Rem 700. Both are 308. Millett LRS
I find it much easier to adjust without breaking my cheek weld and sight picture.
This scope is a beast. 2.2 lbs and 18-22" long. 6-25x 56mm objective and 35mm tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I admit it. When it comes to rifles and scopes I am out of my league !

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I admit it. When it comes to rifles and scopes I am out of my league !
WOW! An honest man on the Internet?!? KD, IMHO, your stock just went...wayyyy up! :yup:

Reactions: Arejay
1 - 20 of 26 Posts