Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 Years living in the safe foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. Had guns from when I was 16.

I follow this Forum, Read the NRA Books, Read the USCCA Information, just about anything I can get my hands on for learning. But lately I am becoming more unsecure about being safe, and doing the wrong thing, yet I have never really encountered a scary situation.

Question is, do any of you feel like you are getting overloaded with scenarios and information from reading these Gun Forums to the point you may hesitate in a situation that is questionable? But if you don't hesitate and take in what is happening you could get hurt. It's getting to the point that I am not carrying my Gun with me. and If I do, is it the right gun, I carry a Glock 43 9MM
Toolman Butch

Not so Stealth anymore.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
For me it's a matter of having the best "tool" available to get the job done "if" it's needed. The hard part is the if, and I hope I never have to use that option. For me it would be worse if I needed that option and it wasn't available so I carry and it's a burden and literally a pain in the butt at times, but it is comforting to know you can protect yourself or fight back if needed. Living in California I know what you mean by the burden of being prosecuted if you use your firearm for self defense, but it beats the alternative of not having that option for me anyways.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There are reports that it has has happened to active LEO's so no reason to think anyone is immune. Things are rarely black or white and your decision making in a deadly force scenario can obviously have grave consequences beyond the immediate danger. There is extra scrutiny these days so you better have confidence in your ability to handle this responsibility.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Prepare for the worst hope for the best and do not get paranoid. Makes me think of OldVet's signature with that Buffalo Springfield lyric.

If it is your time, it is your time. Nothing you can do about that. You are proactive, and you can not prepare for every situation. Enjoy life!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It gets tiresome to hear (or read) sometimes, but "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six".

Actually, because of this forum, I have found myself strapping iron (polymer too) whenever I'm not at home, school, or out drinking. Prior to becoming what I would consider an avid member, I had the mentality that I'd only carry when I feel I could be in danger.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
IM(very)HO, ya' gotta' sift thru the gravel & rocks to get to the nuggets. Many these stories & scenarios (here & elsewhere) are authored by folks who are more like aspiring fiction writers than they are thinking, awake/aware, experienced pistoleros. It's the SOURCE that matters to me. :yup:

FWIW - I will NOT become so over-whelmed as to stop carrying a concealed pistol. But I might get paranoid enough to...carry two or three! :image035:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have been thru life threatening scenarios, and seen combat, so I'm at the point that nothing really phases me with regard to being overly concerned with any aspect of SD.

Actually, as far as the forum goes, my participation here is largely for entertainment purposes and occasional banter over various topics of interest.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Wrong choice of words for title. How about Increased situational awareness? There are more threats out there with crime increasing imho so being more aware is a good thing. I ignore peoples comments who are from the other side of the fence. Let them be good victims...

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
To me it is like panning for gold, you have to go through a lot of gravel to get to the nuggets. I read some of the gun comparisons and if it looks interesting I will check it further. The same goes for scenarios if I read something that may apply I will save that and let the rest go downstream. I live in a small town rural area so the possibility of a mass shooting is reduced but on occasion I do go to larger cities and I do so with a different mindset but I have not found a reason to be paranoid.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hate to sound like an old fogey, but things ain't like they used to be. Not saying you SHOULD be paranoid, but the likelihood of something happening now are far greater than they were say, 20 years ago. Things are simply more unstable. That doesn't mean that the chances are great or even good that something will, just more likely. A few years ago, I didn't carry anything. Now, I always, ALWAYS have at least my Spyderco on me. I don't carry my gun at work because it is illegal to have a firearm there. Qualifies as a government building, so I could go to jail. I don't carry it in the car to and from because I'm not leaving my gun in my unattended car for 8 hours. But any time work isn't an issue, my 9mm is on my person. Unless I'm at home, in which case it is always in arm's reach. You simply never know.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Should you be paranoid? No. Should you be aware that bad things do happen, yes. I live in a relatively small town in Southern Utah. We have a university campus here with about 250 Muslim students. Do you think the thought doesn't cross my head that we could have an event similar to that that took place at OSU this week? I believe it is certainly possible. Likely? Probably not. But that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what's going on whenever I walk into a grocery or other location where there are lots of people. It also doesn't mean I don't have a weapon near me at all times.

Remember: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you!:stups:

·
Registered
194 Posts
It gets tiresome to hear (or read) sometimes, but "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six".

Actually, because of this forum, I have found myself strapping iron (polymer too) whenever I'm not at home, school, or out drinking. Prior to becoming what I would consider an avid member, I had the mentality that I'd only carry when I feel I could be in danger.
Glad to see that you've become a full time carrier! My response when people profess to carry only when they might need it, is: Do you only wear your seat belt when you think that you might be in a wreck? Do you only carry a spare tire when you think that you might have a flat? Do you only carry life jackets on your boat when you think that you might sink?......

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I don't live a paranoid life nor do I live in fear. However, I do live prepared. Carrying (to me) isn't much different than carrying a spare and a jack in your car. You never know when or if you'll need them, but you have them just-in-case.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Paranoia: noun
Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.
baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

pre·par·ed·ness
prəˈper(ə)dnəs/
noun
a state of readiness, especially for war.

I am not paranoid, I am prepared for possible bad things to happen. Which is why I have:

1. Firearms with ammunition and training
2. Food & water stores
3. Fire extingushers
4. Home and car burglar alarms
5. Life, Auto,property & casualty insurance
6. Medical insurance
7. Savings account
8. Portable generator,flashlights, candles
9. Firewood
10. Tools
11. Spare tires
12. Roadside assistance
13. First aid kits

It's all part of the big picture. I just ask myself if my family could live for a month with no power, no gas, no water etc. Then prep accordingly.

BTW, when things go wrong...the government will NOT be there to help you......those who are unprepared can become your largest threat once the initial incident is over.

·
Registered
41,559 Posts
Prepare for the worst hope for the best and do not get paranoid. Makes me think of OldVet's signature with that Buffalo Springfield lyric.
Lordy! Someone actually read my Sig line!

Some folks see the boogieman in everyone they pass on the streets; others are aware that there are boogie men out there of whom they should be wary. Which do you want to be?

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
FUD is rampant in society today based more on the ease of spreading it than any link to actual facts. By most measures crime is the lowest it's been in decades. But certain segments of society and the media desire the attention they get continually screaming that Hannibal is at the gates. That said, the fact that you've never been targeted by crime also means little; we've never been car crashes either until we have. There have been a few home invasion murders of seniors that maybe had also never faced serious crime before.

Paranoia isn't the solution nor a good way to live your life. Prepare and be ready, know that the world can be dangerous, but live your life.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Paranoia: noun
Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.
baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

pre·par·ed·ness
prəˈper(ə)dnəs/
noun
a state of readiness, especially for war.

I am not paranoid, I am prepared for possible bad things to happen. Which is why I have:

1. Firearms with ammunition and training
2. Food & water stores
3. Fire extingushers
4. Home and car burglar alarms
5. Life, Auto,property & casualty insurance
6. Medical insurance
7. Savings account
8. Portable generator,flashlights, candles
9. Firewood
10. Tools
11. Spare tires
12. Roadside assistance
13. First aid kits

It's all part of the big picture. I just ask myself if my family could live for a month with no power, no gas, no water etc. Then prep accordingly.

BTW, when things go wrong...the government will NOT be there to help you......those who are unprepared can become your largest threat once the initial incident is over.
Yup. It's the same reason I always have a flashlight and a multitool on me. Might I need either of them on any given day? Maybe not, but I'd rather have them just in case. Same reason I have a roadside emergency kit with an air compressor, flares, emergency blanket, a first aid kit, and a window punch punch in my Jeep. Same with the several firearms and hundreds of rounds in the house. Haven't needed them yet, but I have them in there just in case. I know I keep using that phrase, but it's really what it boils down to. You carry because, well, just in case. It's not paranoia. Granted, a gun is a slightly different animal because a great many people simply don't have the spine to have a loaded weapon on their person. It's also for THAT reason that people like us, do.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts