Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Texas, we can carry in city parks, county parks, LCRA parks (Lower Collorao River Authority parks) and *State parks*, and after Feb 22, 2010, *National Parks.*

(**Except State or National parks where the property is owned by the Corps of Engineers, who state " U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Frequently Asked Questions
May I have a firearm in the park? A concealed handgun permit is not valid on Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.

Here's corps property list, so we know not to go there
Corps Lakes Gateway: Texas "

Anyway, here's the scenario ... you are camping and walking on the hiking path, there's a pack of wild feral hogs threatening you ahead, and a rattlesnake behind you.
To your left and right you hear banjo music and some people saying "let's make him squeel like a pig" (like in the movie Deliverance).
You know it's a State Park, so it's legal to carry your gun there since you have a license by your State, but you also know that it's owned by the Corps of Engineers and your license is not valid there ...... what do you do?

(This is Common, Whitney State Park, Ray Roberts Lake State Park etc etc etc are Corps of Engineers parks)

(Corps of Engineers actually advises to call them to remove the snake, but I don't own a cell phone, and even if I did, can they hear me now?, out in the woods?

"If you do encounter a snake in or near your campsite, notify a park ranger, park police officer, or park headquarters so that we can properly relocate it. )

1) Pray
2) see if you can hop backwards over the snake without getting bit because a hospital is too far away
3) bare your teeth at the feral hogs and make yourself look bigger so they all get scared away.
4) Cuss out your wife for choosing that C.O.E. park and vow to never go to one again
5) Ask a banjo player if he can dial a Park Ranger for you
6) other ?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I would walk around the snake.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would walk around the snake.
I probably would too. I worry less about the snake and more about the banjo music. :embarassed:

my point is not just about rattlesnakes and bobcats or mongoose, but about the man found shot in his truck at the county boat ramp, about the woman found floating in Inks Lake, about the man found in a 55 gallon drum at the bottom of lake Buchanan when the lake level was low, and about the gangster wannabes shooting at vehicles in the parking lot on another lake n..... snakes and mongoose and animals as well as banjo music ...

I only go to lakes NOT affiliated with the Corps of Engineers.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Please send me some of the stuff yer' smokin' that made you think up this scenario...:rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
6.) Other

I'd shoot myself for being so stupid as to be in that situation in the first place and answering this question! :rofl:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, I do a lot of kayak fishing, and several people have Tee-Shirts " Paddle faster ... I hear banjo music" and I see rattlesnakes all the time; sometimes trying to climb in your kayak with you. The Wild hog thing, from a guy who decided he would always be armed after he was threatened by a pack of them..... it just sorta all came together :image035:

One guy told me he'd call Burt Reynolds ... I think I'd call Sally Fields, but that's a different matter ...

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Please send me some of the stuff yer' smokin' that made you think up this scenario...:rofl::rofl:
+1 You're the only one that gets away with that kind of comment. I try it and I get yelled at.

Must be in the presentation.:king::king::king:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention .... COE property penalties $500.00 fine, 6 months in jail if the Park Ranger catches you, and if he asks for ID, you must present your Concealed Handgun License at the time with Drivers/Fishing Licenses.

And, if when he sees your Handgun License, he asks if you are armed, it's a crime (Moral Turpitude offense) to lie to the Peace Officer. A moral turpitude conviction may be admissible in ANY civil or criminal litigation in the future even if it is unrelated to this instance, like a car wreck litigation, or Social Security case etc etc etc ... (you lied before, why should we believe you now)

Those factors may weigh in on a decision todraw a weapon (or even carry one there) or not too.

(Personally, I'll not go to those parks/lakes/recreation areas until the government "fixes" it right)

I'm not one of them lawyer peoples.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I have wondered about that as George Bush park in Houston is in the Addicks Reservoir. If you walk along the bayou there are A.C.E. signs stating weapons are prohibited. In the middle of the park is the American Shooting Center! Now the park is managed by either the city or Harris County, but the signs on the trails say it is Corps property! Is it illegal for me to take weapons to the range?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have wondered about that as George Bush park in Houston is in the Addicks Reservoir. If you walk along the bayou there are A.C.E. signs stating weapons are prohibited. In the middle of the park is the American Shooting Center! Now the park is managed by either the city or Harris County, but the signs on the trails say it is Corps property! Is it illegal for me to take weapons to the range?
ummmm, that's exactly what I mean, but I hadn't even thought about county parks being COE property too.

Lots of COE properties have shooting ranges and you are allowed to carry a disassembled or unloaded weapon to them

HOWEVER

See http://www.co.harris.tx.us/comm_lee/PDFs/RulesRegulations.pdf
Looks like Harris County says yes you may? in those Rules/Regs, but also says "Please be aware that this park is part of a federally owned reservoir and it is the priority of the Army Corps of Engineers to impound water when necessary." http://www.hctx.net/Pct3/parks/GeorgeBush.aspx and the COE says no?

http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Addicks/ What does this mean for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers? ... For more information on Bear Creek Park or the George Bush Park, call (281-496-2177)
.... you may not?...
I dunno ... I'm not sure the Government knows, I bet LEOs don't know.

I ain't a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Ok, you're new here so we'll give you that one... A word of caution about scenarios which leans towards the ridiculous. Expect to get chided a bit.

Since you've seen the rattlesnake or can hear it, it's the easiest to avoid! They don't want confrontation any more than you do. Just walk around it!

Feral hogs or even feral dogs can be lethal, they are a serious threat. Just in the last 6 months cases have been posted here on this forum of two people mauled to death by a pack of feral dogs and a physician out hunting feral hogs was mauled and gored several times severing an artery and almost dying even after he shot the hog once with a .270 Rem. If attacked by either of those, you defend yourself anyway you can with whatever means you have regardless of Corp. of Engineer laws!

In regards to two legged predators of the "Deliverance" sort, the answer is more like a downed flight crew behind enemy lines. SERE: Survive, Evade, Resistance, Escape The best thing to do is to avoid them by evading and circumventing them. Do not alert them to your presence and remove yourself from the area. But if confronted, you need to survive if you are threatened, and that includes lethal force if lethal force is warranted.

In all those survival situations, the risk of violating the rules of the Corps of Engineers is the least of my concern.

Case Closed, Drive On! YMMV

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like those answers Bark'n

Yeah, when I was younger, living in a huge city, stores I worked in were held up by 2 men, one on my side of the store with a gun at my head, the other up by the registers with a gun on the manager (Army Viet Nam Vet) and the cashier (high school girl), there was a 3' tall aisle of stereo speaker display betwen us and 2 "back rooms" they could lock us in (this was downtown on Main street in a city the size of Houston, Texas) ..... and held up another time by 5 fellows brandishing 2 pistols and the other 3 had sawed off shotguns, so I already know those scenarios from personal experience .... but now I retired and moved to the country, go kayak fishing in the woods, and I'm actually more likely to encounter a few of those situations (though not all at once lol ) Seems like every year they find a body or two out in or near the lakes.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The majority of the posters to this forum provide excellent and, in many cases, expert opinions on a host of subjects pertaining to defensive carry. I prefer to reply or post, in many cases, as a devil's advocate to, what appear to be majority opinions, and for that I tend to be on the receiving end of mostly educated denunciations, which is a good learning experience; I would hope that my posts that provide these responses are also learning experiences for all those who read the responses and even my comments. Sometimes, some posters seem to show a very active imagination and sound like they are living in a foreign country ripe with violence on an unprecedented level and some posters are just living in a land of Oz. I have difficulty understanding the rationale for many decisions that some posters seem to be making and their reasons and "what ifs" for making them. Feral pigs? Human pigs? Snakes?--All at the same time? The thread writer got responses so I guess he got what he wanted.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Karma smack with a vengeance. You find yourself in that kind of situation, just sign the guest log on your way out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Within about 6 months, the SCOUS will decide that the city of Chicago, the state of Illinois and other states cannot ban handguns.

At that point, some bright person will point out that 90% of the federal properties that are open to the public, not fenced, not restricted or guarded are also covered by Heller and McDonald.

Post Office lobbies, parks, lakes, rivers, will all become rights protected.:congrats:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts