Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has her ccw for ohio and will be traveling down to Florida. From the maps I have seen Florida recognizes ohio permit holders. For starters she will be going through GA so what do I need to tell her to stay legal and is it even legal. Second does Florida have any kind of cap restriction she will be traveling with a Glock 23. Sorry if these are bad questions to some people. I travel all the time with my weapon but usually stay between ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State,210 Ga.App. 141, 143-441993) that if you do not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not yours you must have permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle

Glock 23 in Florida is OK. Here is a good place to look.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
This is a reason some get a Utah permit. While GA does not honor Ohio, it does honor Utah. It sounds like, with permission from the owner, you should be covered for the few hours you will be in GA.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
GA isn't that big. Gas up and get a bite to eat prior to entering and drive on through. Then welcome to FL.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
I can make it from S.FL to Dalton, GA (northern end) in 10.5 hours, so driving thru GA isn't a 2-day ordeal.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
GA has pretty friendly gun laws. However, I'm not sure what people are telling you is correct or not. I know that residents can carry in their (or permissible) vehicle without a permit. I don't know about non-residents, though. I'll try to read up on this.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ok, so here is the law. The only part I am unsure about is in bold. ...Who is eligible? Is this referring to simply "having a clean record"? That's what I would assume, but I'm no lawyer. I think you are good to go, but... Anyone want to chime in?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on
his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or
place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok, so here is the law. The only part I am unsure about is in bold. ...Who is eligible? Is this referring to simply "having a clean record"? That's what I would assume, but I'm no lawyer. I think you are good to go, but... Anyone want to chime in?
If there is no prohibition against your having a firearm in your possession: carry of firearm in a personal vehicle is legal as long as owner of vehicle does not say otherwise. You are the person who decides your legality; if you question your legality then you probably are not legal. I would advise to err on the conservative side. Law enfiorcement will simply go by the normal rules to decide your legality, no felony convictions, family violence, mental illness, ect.
If you feel ok: mind your own business and just go about it. I know that bad things happen all the time but think about how many people pass thru the state of GA on I 75 on a daily basis. Keep your speed reasonable and wave to us as you pass by.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Long enough to obey the gun laws.
My point is: If you think it's necessary, secure the firearm in the trunk per federal law and drive on thru, the same as I would were I driving thru IL. It can be done if transporting a firearm thru GA is that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
My point is: If you think it's necessary, secure the firearm in the trunk per federal law and drive on thru, the same as I would were I driving thru IL. It can be done if transporting a firearm thru GA is that big of a deal.
OK. That was not the way I read it.

I read it as "you won't be there long enough for it to matter."

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
A recent thread on this topic pointed out that you can't carry in the Interstate rest stops, including the rest rooms or parking lot. I don't remember when this was posted but it seems like it was within the past 4 - 6 months.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
A recent thread on this topic pointed out that you can't carry in the Interstate rest stops, including the rest rooms or parking lot. I don't remember when this was posted but it seems like it was within the past 4 - 6 months.
That's no longer the case in GA. Law changed about a year ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone.... I urged her to get her PA permit to add GA on to her list of states but she is a huge slacker and as of now its to late

·
Registered
244 Posts
According to handlaw us website Florida does not honor non-resident permits from any state --only resident permits. That means folks getting Utah non-resident permits may get a shock some day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts