Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it's been discussed, but a quick search didn't bring it up. I see many of you using paypal without issue.
So I am sure you are aware that both paypal and square prohibit the use of their services to buy firearms and related in their TOS. Is it a non-issue, something in their legal mumbo-jumbo that they don't actually enforce? If they don't care, why should we?
Are there any T2A-friendly ways of transferring money?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I purchased a stealthgear holster just last night and paid via paypal... must not be watching that 'and related' too closely.

Reactions: SOS24

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I always use Amex or Paypal. I have used PP several times for gear.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
I have used PayPal on many occasions to purchase holsters, magazines, gun parts and assorted other gun related items with no problems.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
362 Posts
I use PayPal for guns and gear all the time, but be cautious. If it is not discreet and PP finds out they WILL lock your account until they feel like unlocking it. You are also not protected when using it for gun related purchases (presuming it comes to light). PP is not a bank and they are not regulated like a bank, so we use their services at our own peril.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have used paypal for various gun related accessories like holsters and magazine carriers without issue. Either they are not carefully monitoring or have a narrow interpretation.

·
Administrator
144,774 Posts
PayPal has their central location in....you guessed it...in California.

Some court ruled that since all Paypal transactions are conducted through California that all transactions must abide by CA. law and regulations.

Actually the original ruling was against eBay...eBay owned PayPal at one time though they are now supposedly separate entities.

So...I guess PayPal de ided that they needed to conduct business in the same manner since both are home based in CA.

It really is sort of nutty but, that is just the way it is.

For example...you cannot list a 100 year old bearskin rug for sale on eBay even if the seller resides in Ohio and the Buyer is in....pick any other state.....because the transaction would be in violation of the California prohibited selling of "bear parts" laws.

Both eBay and PayPal are all about the money really. I don't think either would give a damn otherwise.

You used to be able to buy firearms FFL to FFL dealer to dealer on eBay UNTIL some unwittingly sellers shipped firearms through U.S.P.S. directly to home addresses and got caught.

They screwed that up for legitimate firearms sellers that were conducting business legally.

So...PayPal being a former entity of eBay...is (I guess) following suit.

eBay is not anti gun. If they were they would not allow slides, barrels, stocks, parts etc to be sold.

Just not complete firearms. It's the same deal with the over 10 round magazine limit.

Firearm magazines can still be bought and sold on eBay...just not magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds.

Hey...you know...times change and these are changing times.

I still use PayPal because...with PayPal the seller only gets my money and not my credit card number and I don't want everybody and their Mother to have my credit card #.

That is the reason why I use their service in addition to the fact that they have never failed to fully reimburse me on those few past transactions when a deal went bad.

If you decide that you want to a accept payments VIA PayPal....suggest you go to your local bank...open up a separate account....send PayPal that account info....they will deposit a piddling amount into that account....like 4 Cents...you let them know that amount, which is their verification that it's a legitimate account and when somebody pays you....the money is there and yours within a couple of days.

When me and the better half were actively selling....never had a single problem.

To me it's all worth that small percentage that they take.

On eBay I just bought some really different hand made leather stamping tools from a seller in the Czech Republic.

He got his money right away....was able to ship the next day....and if for any reason I don't get my package....I am covered by PayPal and my $$$ will be credited to my card.

It really speeds things up. Sellers can now ship same day instead of waiting for a snail mail money order or a personal check to clear.

I won't buy FIGI Water anymore because they were strong Hilary supporters but, if somebody poured me a glass...I wouldn't spit it out. :rofl:

·
Registered
248 Posts
My bank, and yours too I bet, has a utility to send money to anyone with an email address. Mine is called "Popmoney".....yours might be called something else. I think there is a $.50 charge for this. Might be worth looking into. In the past the transaction has taken less than a day if done early in the day. No confidential numbers trade/change hands.

1,458 Posts
We use both Paypal and Amazon pay on our website. I don't know that I'd call either of them pro 2A per se, but we've never had any issues with them, as opposed to social media and advertising networks we work through. We periodically get our ads banned because they're firearm related. They're always reinstated, but it's a a big PITA. Neither Amazon or Paypal have ever given us any grief about that.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've purchased High Noon Holsters, Hogue pistol grips and other extraneous gun related items from various distributers via Paypal. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've paid for holsters, handgun grips, moon and half-moon clips, snap caps, and LaserAmmo and LaserLyte items using PayPal as recently as last week. So either they don't enforce that "related items" or have a very specific (but unpublished) type of items they consider "related". I consider it a safe and secure way to pay for things, and the simplest way to pay for things purchased from companies outside the USA. Am sure they're not pro-2nd Amendment, but I'm sure that's also true of a fair percentage of all US companies.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I signed up for PayPal, got my money, and it's well. But someone somewhere else suggested another pay site that doesn't have such language in it's user agreement. I may switch when I am able and I'll let yall know how it works out. Sorry I don't visit often anymore, this site is a hefty load for my wimpy 3G connection!

·
Banned
35 Posts
From their acceptable use policy for prohibbited transactions "(j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law." https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full

I seem to recall that the "certain firearms parts or accessories" involves firearms parts with serial numbers.

Be careful, someone can use PayPal "Friends and Family" feature to purchase a firearm but they would lose their buyers protection for goods and services.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I won't use PP again for a direct transfer from my checking account, but if a merchant uses their cc processing I'll go ahead with the transaction.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was actually selling other items when this came to my attention. I am cleaning out my "holster box" and have posted a couple to the BST forum but I am not selling any firearms so I am probably OK ;)
I figured you guys would know!

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I won't use PP again for a direct transfer from my checking account.
How come? I've done one and it went through without problem except that it took almost 4 days to clear through to the other end. I used to receive funds via paypal and never had one lick of trouble transferring my paypal money to my checking account. That was fast - not the 4 days like this last transfer from my checking account to another paypal member.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts