Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I'm late to the party....

I'm interested in getting a braced pistol as a PDW for travel, something with a 7.5" to 12.5" barrel. I'm already set up with traditional 9mm pistols, but I don't own anything in 5.56 NATO. Watching and reading several sources, I know 5.56 loses a lot of velocity when barrel length goes below 14". I also know that 9mm gains a lot of velocity in barrels up to 12" before friction starts slowing it.

In a PDW at ranges under 100 yards, is the performance of 5.56 worth investing in a new caliber with increased noise? Or will 9mm in a 7.5-11.5" barrel work well enough?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
I selected a 9mm PCC specifically for the noise issue for use inside my house. At 10-15 yards, a 9mm is going to be satisfactory for most purposes.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
I went the 9mm route. Mostly because I’ve wanted an MP5 for 30 years. Passed on it and selected the MPX because it was a better choice for me. Been quite pleased. Mild shooter. Accurate enough. PIA to clean.

As far as 9mm vs 5.56? There are many more knowledgeable than I around here. The army went 9mm PDW. I did too.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I know that I'm late to the party....

I'm interested in getting a braced pistol as a PDW for travel, something with a 7.5" to 12.5" barrel. I'm already set up with traditional 9mm pistols, but I don't own anything in 5.56 NATO. Watching and reading several sources, I know 5.56 loses a lot of velocity when barrel length goes below 14". I also know that 9mm gains a lot of velocity in barrels up to 12" before friction starts slowing it.

In a PDW at ranges under 100 yards, is the performance of 5.56 worth investing in a new caliber with increased noise? Or will 9mm in a 7.5-11.5" barrel work well enough?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
travel to where?

·
Registered
918 Posts
A "braced pistol" in 5.56mm may provide some small advantage in accuracy within normal handgun ranges (under 50 yards) but the trade-off will be EAR-SPLITTING SKULL-RATTLING high-intensity muzzle blast that may just CAUSE YOU TO LOSE CONTROL OF ANY OF YOUR REMAINING VITAL FUNCTIONS. This is especially true if you ever have to use such a weapon indoors, on short notice, without multiple levels of hearing protection (and even then you can expect a headache that will trouble you for days).

You may not even notice the HUGE MUZZLE FLASH resulting from all the unburned powder following the bullet our of the barrel. If you do notice the flash it may interfere with your proper appreciation of the INTENSE PAIN IN YOUR EARS AND HEAD. Hopefully your experience will be in a fully darkened room so you can properly appreciate the 3-4 foot fireballs erupting before your unprepared eyes.

There are much easier ways to make yourself miserable while pretending to have fun. Ballroom dancing on the freeway during rush hour traffic, maybe unprotected sex with HIV-positive crack whores on your lunch hour.

Short-barreled firearms chambered for high-intensity rifle calibers are a solution in search of a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
@seeker_two I went .45 acp initially, as I own very few 9 mm firearms, SO, that ammo thing, ya know. I've switched to 5.56. But that's me. You need to look at a few things (as usual!) You say it'll be for travel? Mostly hotel room's, OR staying with family? (penetration into a stranger's room?) 100 yard accuracy? With a PDW, you'll need an optic to achieve that, with such a short sight radius (JMO). 5.56 is LOUD out of a short barrel, when in confined space. (I have that covered). Is this going to be "more like a truck gun"? A few more details, and some here, "can give your ship a better rudder", so to speak. (FYI I've got this on "kinda backorder", as I MAY jump into 9 mm a "little harder" WHEN they HURRY UP! https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-v-9mm-moe-alg-railed-triangle-side-folding-pistol-black.html )

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I shot a 10.5" 5.56 indoors and it is loud, but actually not much louder than a short barrel .357 Magnum.

My favorite short gun for anything, indoors or out, is an 8.5" barrel 300 Blackout AR pistol variety. It has better ballistics that a 16" 5.56 and is good for more range because the bullets have a much better ballistic coefficient. A guy I see at the range now and then has a silenced 8.5" 300 and it is every bit as quiet as an MP-5SD as long as you use subsonic loads. Amazingly quiet.

I like the 9mm AR under normal circumstances. Unfortunately with things the way they are right now, you might face people with body armor. The 9mm will be inadequate to defeat most soft armor. Otherwise the 9 is a great choice. My favorite solution is a standard AR lower using normal 5.56 P-mags with the Mean Arms inserts.

The Glock or Colt SMG mag versions are okay, but then you have a lower that is limited to the 9mm upper alone.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I had a 10.5" 5.56 Colt issued to me on SWAT. It shot well enough, but the excessive ear piercing noise caused me to quickly trade it in to the armory for a Colt SMG 9mm (also 10.5" barrel). I am much happier with the 9mm.

I much prefer my 5.56's to be 14.5" or better. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
the 10.5" AR will really shake your skull with any standard flash hider, I put a blast diverter on mine and it moved all that fury down range away from me but it is still a loud little beast, but it will hit harder than the 9 all the way out to 100 yards plus give you far more accuracy than a pistol, I will say mine would not be my first choice to grab in the house that will be the P229, G23 or a 12 ga. pump, if I'm going outside to investigate a distubance on the property though it's my main weapon with one of my pistols as backup 0n my hip

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
7.62x39 lot less velocity loss with shorter barrels from what I rememebr ..Either cheep ie Romy Draco or ZPAP pistol Yugo or high end like a Aresneal milled AK pistol ..

I would go x39 or 9mm for a shorter braced gun imop ..

Me I wanted a road gun and knew I was not going to any naughty states I would go a Draco with a brace and a chest rig of 30 or 40 round mag ..Massive firepower in a compact pack.

If a ban state a Ruger pc9 rifle with 10 round mags

Reactions: Nmuskier and Pete63

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
@seeker_two I got to thinking after I logged off last night, my first idea (before I settled on .45 acp) was going with 10mm. There are several options in that caliber. Not to mention, far superior to 9mm. Rifle length barrel (10+ inches) can really get a heavy bullet moving! Less muzzle blast than 5.56. Ammo not real bad on pricing/availability. Kriss mag extensions with glock mag's are reasonable. (33 rounds of goodness!)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Here is an even handier alternative.

Kel-Tec Gen 2 Sub-2000 I got mine in 40 S&W - Glock mags. The 40 out of a 16 inch barrel packs a pretty good wallop. This thing folds into a package that is about 16 inches overall. I carry mine in a laptop bag designed for a 17 inch screen. You can put an 11X15 ballistic plate in the bag and you have some portable cover.

They make a fold over mount for a red dot, but I just use a good quick release Picatinny mount and move it to the bottom of the forend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with a Glock compatible AR platform in 9mm. This allows me to interchange mags between my truck gun and my carry gun. I also use Liberty Civil Defense +P 9mm which is lighter in the mag and fast enough to overcome soft body armor. So overall any mag I grab works in either gun.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
I HATE short barrel ARs at the range. It’s not even noise and blast...you actually feel the concussion. I can’t bring my autistic son to the range anymore because of all the yo-yos trying to shoot these things, with most getting abysmal accuracy. I also think it’s only a matter of time until I witness one of these idiots blow his support hand right off.

You don’t say what make of pistols you have, but if a PDW is available that uses those 9mm mags, then it’s a no brainer.

I have a Ruger PC carbine that uses my Glock pistol mags. Not a PDW, but it’s a takedown that takes up little space and comes together in seconds. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another vote for the Kel Tec Sub2000. 3 33 round Glock mags, the folded carbine and a plate in a non-descript messenger bag is hard to beat.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I HATE short barrel ARs at the range. It’s not even noise and blast...you actually feel the concussion. I can’t bring my autistic son to the range anymore because of all the yo-yos trying to shoot these things, with most getting abysmal accuracy. I also think it’s only a matter of time until I witness one of these idiots blow his support hand right off.

You don’t say what make of pistols you have, but if a PDW is available that uses those 9mm mags, then it’s a no brainer.

I have a Ruger PC carbine that uses my Glock pistol mags. Not a PDW, but it’s a takedown that takes up little space and comes together in seconds. Best of both worlds, IMHO.
I took my 11.5 to an indoor range a couple months ago. I didnt even think about it until someone asked me about it after. I definitely felt bad after that. As much as I like shooting SBR's, I hate being on the range with other people who have them. The biggest think I hate about my 8.5" .300 upper is that I cant reach my arm out. Definitely need to get a handstop for it.

Reactions: OldChap and 10thmtn

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

I hear what you're saying, but just wait until someone brings out a .50 BMG. Because of the shape of most of the muzzle devices, they deflect the blast and concussion backward in a V which doesn't bother the shooter, but will clear everyone out for 100 feet on either side.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts