Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone direct me to a county in eastern Pennsylvania that will take an application for a non-resident permit? I know that I have to appear in person now, and I've been checking county websites. I haven't found one that mentions non-residents, and the handgunlaw.us site doesn't list any counties. Just says to phone. If anyone has information, it could save me a lot of phone time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I got mine from Centre County. They are extremely quick, friendly and motivated in the issuance of non-resident permits.

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Andy , I forgot to mention you must have your own state permit before you can apply to PA.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
I have always heard Centre County as well.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I've got a PA. non-resident permit that expires in a few months. Will I be able to renew through the mail?
I would email the sheriff and ask. I misplaced my PA permit, and they sent me a replacement free of charge after I emailed them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The PA law is unfortunate for citizens of bordering states, like NJ and MD. While these states have a ccw permit process, it is all for show. The vast majority of citizens in MD and NJ would never be issued a permit due to intentional constraints in the laws. So, those that could most benefit from a non resident permit in PA will never get one.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've got a PA. non-resident permit that expires in a few months. Will I be able to renew through the mail?
Not anymore. You have to go in person now. Also, not all counties issue non-resident permits. They are all supposed to, but some sheriffs just don't.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
in PA you can go to any sheriffs office to get non resident permits. and no i dont think you can mail in, it has to be in person, you dont have to do things like other states like courses or anything, so having to get your picture taken i person is about it.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I emailed the Centre County Sheriff with these several questions, and here is his response:

"Hi Mike – By Law, both new and renewals must now appear in person for processing. The process at our Office takes from 15 to 30 minutes depending on volume of calls the Instant Criminal History Check is handling. Once the criminal history check is completed and shows no prohibited crimes, the license is issued. Only one visit is required.

Hours for license to carry are Monday thru Friday 8 – 5. Closed on weekends and major holidays.

Unfortunately both Maryland and New Jersey residents must first obtain a license from their home state prior to issuance in Pa. Knowing the issuance in these states is very restricted, I contacted both the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Attorney General’s Office a number of years ago to argue it was nearly impossible for the average citizen to obtain from New Jersey thus they are not truly issue states. Both rejected my argument.

Happy Trails ……. Denny"

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Thanks for posting the info Mike. I have to renew my PA permit early next year. Looks like my wife and I are going to have to take a little trip to PA to renew our permits. When we first got them, it was all done through the mail. Road Trip in the future!!!!:yup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just renewed mine in Centre County. They are very friendly and quick. Bring old permit, home state permit and drivers lisc in and out in 15 mins $20. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I just renewed mine in Centre County. They are very friendly and quick. Bring old permit, home state permit and drivers lisc in and out in 15 mins $20. Good Luck
Nebraska? That is true dedication to commitment to carry concealed. Hats off.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Another option is to get a Florida permit. You can do it by mail and it is honored in PA.
PA is (or soon will) no longer honor non-resident FL permits. They are doing that with many non-res permits.

Reactions: dcdalton

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
Another option is to get a Florida permit. You can do it by mail and it is honored in PA.
Nope: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
"*Pennsylvania Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor Except for
Arizona, Florida, Maine, Mississippi and Virginia. They have agreements that specifically states
“Legal Resident of AZ, FL, ME, MS and AZ. You can see the agreements Here. AZ, FL, ME, MS and
VA Permit/Licenses issued to non-residents are no longer valid in PA. PA Residents carrying on one
of those permits was given a grace period to obtain a PA Permit/License."

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
There was no way I wanted to drive from SC to PA to renew. My NH non resident is still being honored by PA but I need to keep close watch because as another poster wrote PA seems to be eliminating honoring any non res except their own.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would suggest Pike county, the sheriff up there is pretty decent BUT I did hear rumors he might have temporarily stopped dealing with them until they catch up on resident ones. I would call them and ask. Secondly it's the closest county to you.

Stay away from Monroe (where I live). We have more problems with that asshat than we can even count, and that's with resident licenses so I can just imagine the hell you would go through with a non-resident one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts