Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post, glad to be here.
I live in Paris, France and I have been carrying pepper spray for a few years (we have no 2nd amendment, we can't carry guns, and even buying one is a pain in the neck, if not impossible based on where you live). So all we have is less than lethal weapons, the best being pepper spray IMHO. You can buy pepper spray, have it at your home, but carrying it is illegal (it's weird I know) but it can be tolerated depending on the person and the place. So here is my problem: I don't know what size to carry, a 40 ml (about 1.4 oz) canister or a 63 ml (2.13 oz) canister ? Is the first one enough ? Is the second one too much ?
The 2 oz one fits perfectly in my front pocket, the smaller one is a little bit more awkward to carry, but it is more discreet.
What would you carry ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I would carry the largest size you can.
Sorry for the draconian gun laws in your country.
You can always emigrate over here to Texas. We will welcome a freedom/ gun loving Parisian all day long.
Yeah gun laws and weapon laws in general are absurd in this country... ok so I'll carry the 2 oz pepper spray then.
Thanks for welcoming me to Texas ! Actually I'm also American, and I have been to the US a few times to visit family. I just love it over there, accross the pond... maybe someday I'll move there !

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Yeah gun laws and weapon laws in general are absurd in this country... ok so I'll carry the 2 oz pepper spray then.
Thanks for welcoming me to Texas ! Actually I'm also American, and I have been to the US a few times to visit family. I just love it over there, accross the pond... maybe someday I'll move there !
Come on over. I will take you out for some fine BBQ and beer.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum, WillGrnspn, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard sir. Yes, I would certainly carry the larger container of pepper spray.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, WillGrnspn, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard sir. Yes, I would certainly carry the larger container of pepper spray.
Thanks for the welcome !
Yeah I like the 2 oz better. But I'm just affraid that if the police sees it, it would look bad if I had the bigger one rather than the smaller one (1.4 oz/ 40 ml).

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Thanks for the welcome !
Yeah I like the 2 oz better. But I'm just affraid that if the police sees it, it would look bad if I had the bigger one rather than the smaller one (1.4 oz/ 40 ml).
Maybe I missed something. Is it illegal for you to carry pepper spray?
If so. we cannot advise you to do something that breaks your country's laws. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
So the next question is , What are the laws about carrying a cane? you know for your balance problem. If the laws for that are less bothersome look there. And Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Texas. I'll second what @dangerranger said! We've got several thread's on "alternative weapons for self defense" when traveling either "overseas", or "CERTAIN restrictive state's here"! (won't mention those!😂)

Reactions: WillGrnspn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your answers.
It is illegal to carry pepper spray in France, but it is perfectly legal to buy it as long as you are over 18 years old. I find it weird that if you can't carry it with you, why can you buy it and why are they selling it ??
Carrying is illegal, but it is tolerated for women walking alone at night or people who don't "look suspect". And you won't go to jail or anything for pepperspray, especially if the canister is small. Would you consider a 2 oz canister "small" ?

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Do not have any experience with pepper spray or the sizes they come in.
So no carry, is it just for home defense? Can you use it if someone is breaking into your home?
Or it sounds like illegal to carry, but everyone just looks the otjher way

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the next question is , What are the laws about carrying a cane? you know for your balance problem. If the laws for that are less bothersome look there. And Good Luck.
Thanks! I think that the cane would not work, it would be considered a blunt weapon, and I would need medical proof that I need a cane to walk. I'm 22 and don't have (yet) any balance problem... so pepper spray is my best bet I think, because it is the least "agressive" weapon and the least dangerous, since it has no lasting effects.
But thanks anyway !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do not have any experience with pepper spray or the sizes they come in.
So no carry, is it just for home defense? Can you use it if someone is breaking into your home?
Or it sounds like illegal to carry, but everyone just looks the otjher way
Yeah I guess it would be for home defense only. But in this case (for home defense) I'll just take the biggest size that is legal (100 ml).
As for carrying it, it is illegal, but LEOs usually look the other way, if the person carrying it doesn't look "dangerous" or "suspect" and if the canister is small enough. I just wonder how big I can go before it would be considered too big...

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Thanks! I think that the cane would not work, it would be considered a blunt weapon, and I would need medical proof that I need a cane to walk. I'm 22 and don't have (yet) any balance problem... so pepper spray is my best bet I think, because it is the least "agressive" weapon and the least dangerous, since it has no lasting effects.
But thanks anyway !
You can't have a cane as a fashion accessory? In France? An alternative is an "Unbreakable Umbrella." You are being redirected... Or would have to prove you thought it was going to rain? I would also recommend a tactical pen or small tactical flashlight.

Pepper spray isn't much use if you might get into trouble for carrying it. FWIW, the size of the pepper spray is not the big deal. It is the spray pattern. You are not likely to run out of spray of any size of pepper spray, but the smaller ones tend to not produce an optimal spray pattern, although that depends on the make. Also, I find the smaller ones harder to manipulate under stress.

Of course it should go without saying that at your age, getting some good martial arts training would be the best. Hopefully that is still legal in France.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't have a cane as a fashion accessory? In France? An alternative is an "Unbreakable Umbrella." You are being redirected... Or would have to prove you thought it was going to rain? I would also recommend a tactical pen or small tactical flashlight.

Pepper spray isn't much use if you might get into trouble for carrying it. FWIW, the size of the pepper spray is not the big deal. It is the spray pattern. You are not likely to run out of spray of any size of pepper spray, but the smaller ones tend to not produce an optimal spray pattern, although that depends on the make. Also, I find the smaller ones harder to manipulate under stress.

Of course it should go without saying that at your age, getting some good martial arts training would be the best. Hopefully that is still legal in France.
You can have a cane as fashion accessory, but it's not very discreet, and it's big. I'd rather have something I can have in my pocket.
As for pepper spray, LEOs here usually look the other way if the canister is small. I just wonder how small ? Is 2 oz small ? Should I go smaller ?
Yes martial arts are legal in France. I did a few years of BJJ, I loved it, but can't anymore because of when I work. And I'm not sure any martial arts would be much use if confronted by more than 2 attackers, even for a black belt (and I'm far from being a black belt).
Pepper spray is cheap, simple, effective, is not dangerous compared to other weapons, and police usually looks the other way, but the thing is I don't know what size. I guess I'll keep the 2 oz for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The spray pattern for the two canisters I talked about is exactly the same, and the small one (1.4 oz) shoots as far as the 2 oz. The only difference is size. The 2 oz is about one inch taller, that's it.
And I know what you mean about small canisters being difficult to manipulate under stress, but the 1.4 oz is not tiny, and fits my hand perfectly (I have small hands) but the 2 oz fits my hand very well too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The spray pattern for the two canisters I talked about is exactly the same, and the small one (1.4 oz) shoots as far as the 2 oz. The only difference is size. The 2 oz is about one inch taller, that's it.
And I know what you mean about small canisters being difficult to manipulate under stress, but the 1.4 oz is not tiny, and fits my hand perfectly (I have small hands) but the 2 oz fits my hand very well too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there a police officer that you can discretely ask or a lawyer what size they think is best and not get in trouble?
Hmmm I thought about that, maybe I'll try that. I think the answer will depend on the police officer/lawyer. Some police officers strictly enforce the law (I don't blame them) and some will look the other way, depending on the situation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts