Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally carry a 2 oz pepper spray which is legal in Florida, actually just about anywhere except in South Carolina. I'll be spending some time in SC, and I see that the limit there is 50cc's which is about 1.5 oz. Does anyone know how strictly this is enforced? Of course it's in my pocket and no one will see it unless I have to use it, just wanted to check. Actually in FL because I have my CCW I can actually carry pretty much anything I want, that doesn't hold true in most states.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I am not sure how strictly it is enforced there, but I would likely stay within the law. On the outside chance you had to use it, you wouldn't want the chemical device to come into question.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
821 Posts
At the risk of legal problems, wouldn't getting another, smaller OC spray to conform to NC laws? They're what, $12? Seems a good trade-off.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I dont advocate willingly breaking a law, however, I would rather carry an extra half oz of OC than carry nothing. I personally would prob not fret it too much and carry on with life as normal.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'll be picking up a smaller one after I finish my Pizza.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Very nice and informative post! In my opinion,I am not sure how strictly it is enforced there, but I would likely stay within the law. On the outside chance you had to use it, you wouldn't want the chemical device to come into question.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, picked up a smaller one on my way back from my favorite pizza joint.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
At the risk of legal problems, wouldn't getting another, smaller OC spray to conform to NC laws? They're what, $12? Seems a good trade-off.
Just to clarify one thing, NC law allows 150 CC or about 5 ounces where as SC is the one with the 50 CC limit or about 1.69 ounces.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify one thing, NC law allows 150 CC or about 5 ounces where as SC is the one with the 50 CC limit or about 1.69 ounces.
Yes, I realize that, that's why I think I specified SC in my post as being the problem child.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yes, I realize that, that's why I think I specified SC in my post as being the problem child.
If you read the post I quoted you'll notice they stated NC, not SC. I realize you were asking about SC but apparently they didn't.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Maybe if you have to use it, you can just stop spraying while there's still 0.5 oz left? :smile:

Any chance that 2oz is a nominal number? Maybe they're actually filled light.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What did you get? I forgot to write earlier that I had read (here?) about Freeze +P pepper spray that had not only pepper but a slight 'Mace' component and a dye that stayed on the skin for around 24 hrs. That sounds like a really good product!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up Sabre Red Pepper Spray at the LGS I normally use.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I normally carry a 2 oz pepper spray which is legal in Florida, actually just about anywhere except in South Carolina. I'll be spending some time in SC, and I see that the limit there is 50cc's which is about 1.5 oz. Does anyone know how strictly this is enforced? Of course it's in my pocket and no one will see it unless I have to use it, just wanted to check. Actually in FL because I have my CCW I can actually carry pretty much anything I want, that doesn't hold true in most states.
That's very interesting. I live in SC, and have both a SCP, and SLED armed card (guard card) and have never heard anything about OC limitations. Heck, we carry "jugs" of OC at work because we use so much of it, and I have a 3oz can of Saber Red (Military/LEO grade) OC sitting right here on my desk.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see anything about OC on "AOW" listings for SC on weapons rules sites.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's very interesting. I live in SC, and have both a SCP, and SLED armed card (guard card) and have never heard anything about OC limitations. Heck, we carry "jugs" of OC at work because we use so much of it, and I have a 3oz can of Saber Red (Military/LEO grade) OC sitting right here on my desk.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see anything about OC on "AOW" listings for SC on weapons rules sites.
From handgunlaw.us
It is lawful to possess a container not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) containing tear gas “for self-defense purposes only”.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...been digging in SC law...and other places...this ad for pepper spray says "no restrictions" (too late to call them):

Pepper Spray South Carolina

...looking up SC code 16-23-470 current through 2012:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

...which is used as the cite for handgun law's posted restriction, I find that it deals exclusively with tear gas...no mention of mace or pepper spray...as specific as SC law is, I can't find any mention of pepper spray...so I tend to go with those making their living selling it there, unless someone can provide a law regulating it...if you find one, please post it for us...
From handgunlaw.us
It is lawful to possess a container not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) containing tear gas “for self-defense purposes only”.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
From handgunlaw.us
For the record, "''tear gas" is CS, not OC, or at least it always has been in my experience. CS is "tear gas" and OC is "pepper spray."

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...correct...no connection between the two...so SC law appears to deal only with "tear gas"

pepper spray - a nonlethal aerosol spray made with the pepper derivative oleoresin capiscum; used to cause temporary blindness and incapacitate an attacker; also used as a bear deterrent

1 - 20 of 24 Posts