Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding the Light Rail train today I started to wonder what would happen if my Fox Labs pepper spray (stream) came into play during an assault/robbery/etc. inside a train car.

Would spraying someone in closed quarters also affect me and everyone in the car? Should pepper spray never be used in a closed area?

I'm hoping somebody on this board has some experience with spray in a defensive situation...I don't really want to try my spray indoors to see what the effects will be :knockedout:

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well I can tell you this, when I was Jr High I very clearly remember a stupid kid obtaining some pepper spray from somewhere. He then decided to spray a little bit on the busride home....needless to say everyone couldn't breathe and the bus had to be evacuated - all from a little spray.

This is probably not the best information but I thought I'd share with you my experience with pepper spray in close quaters.

·
Registered
275 Posts
And for the record, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR....that movie is great. For a while there my phone ringtone was the AMERICAN "F" YEAH theme song!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know that while I was in college the police used the fire extinguisher size pepper spray on a crowd of students while they were trying to rush the field at a football game. The wind them blew the cloud of spray to other section of the stadium. Incidents like this have turned me off to the use of pepper spray.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply...I was afraid that your Jr. High experience would be the general effect on the train. Sounds like indoor use might be a very bad idea!
d2thomas said:
that movie is great
:image035: :hand10:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dingle1911 said:
I know that while I was in college the police used the fire extinguisher size pepper spray on a crowd of students while they were trying to rush the field at a football game. The wind them blew the cloud of spray to other section of the stadium. Incidents like this have turned me off to the use of pepper spray.
Was this the CU vs CSU game at Mile High Stadium a couple of years ago?

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
The STREAM or squirting mode of OC would be the best delivery pattern for said applications (than any others) as it does blow around.:gah:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I once sprayed about 20 fighting squids and jarheads with CS while I was on Shore Patrol. I roughly calculated the wind and stood windward of the crowd before letting the huge cannister rip. I was even walking backwards into the wind and still ended up gagging with my intended victims.
I dont know much about pepper spray but CS tear gas dont play. I would be very hesitant to use anything of the sort in any confined space.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, I said I was on Shore Patrol. That makes me one of 'em. Sometimes I was the sprayer, sometimes I was the sprayee. Navy bases used to be a hoot on the weekends, back in the day. Drunken fighting was uniform of the day. Officer and enlisted clubs alike. Tear gas was part of the weekend ritual.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you are in the vicinity of the spray, be it fog or stream pattern, you WILL get some effect from it. It sucks to say it but the best way to know what will happen is to bone up and give yourself a shot! You don't have to whack yourself directly in the face with it (unless you want to REALLY be a man about it!), but at least fire a shot into a plastic cup and get it in close to your face. Then you'll at least have an idea of what you are dealing with. My wife and I both carry Fox Labs keychain sprays and we both took a small hit from them when I bought them. Know what you are using before you use it!

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
"It sucks to say it but the best way to know what will happen is to bone up and give yourself a shot!" ~ That is 100% true.
And yes, even with the STREAM there WILL be watery eyes and sensitive people will feel a choking sensation & sometimes sick. People with preexisting asthma and breathing related health issues will have extra problems.

I already have checked it out. The Fox Labs 5.3 was not very much fun at all.

I should also add that if you DO use OC in your home...then it IS residual on upholstered furniture & carpeting & so especially if you have pets & small children you'll (for sure) need to have that type of stuff cleaned.

Of course...if you are forced to defensively shoot a Bad Guy in your home (with a firearm) then you'll probably want to have the carpet cleaned (or taken up) after that situation also. :blink:

A NOTE: concerning the Fox Labs Key chain Unit...Replace After 1 year.
That would be...even if NOT used at all.
Due to the small amount of propellant contained in the FL Key Chain sized units. (which are GREAT! BTW)
They should be replaced every year.
The replacement inserts are cheaper than the complete key chain unit.

·
Registered
988 Posts
QKShooter said:
"It sucks to say it but the best way to know what will happen is to bone up and give yourself a shot!" ~ That is 100% true.
And yes, even with the STREAM there WILL be watery eyes and sensitive people will feel a choking sensation & sometimes sick. People with preexisting asthma and breathing related health issues will have extra problems.

I already have checked it out. The Fox Labs 5.3 was not very much fun at all.

I should also add that if you DO use OC in your home...then it IS residual on upholstered furniture & carpeting & so especially if you have pets & small children you'll (for sure) need to have that type of stuff cleaned.

Of course...if you are forced to defensively shoot a Bad Guy in your home (with a firearm) then you'll probably want to have the carpet cleaned (or taken up) after that situation also. :blink:

A NOTE: concerning the Fox Labs Key chain Unit...Replace After 1 year.
That would be...even if NOT used at all.
Due to the small amount of propellant contained in the FL Key Chain sized units. (which are GREAT! BTW)
They should be replaced every year.
The replacement inserts are cheaper than the complete key chain unit.
Good points QK. I bought one for myself, my wife, my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law. I promised them all that I would personally make sure they all had new cartridges every year. Safety is paramount!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
In high school, we had a similar experience when a student's keyfob can ruptured, evacuating the class. :dead:

It's amazing how many people don't check the expiration dates. In college for speech class, we had to give an "informative speech" on a topic of our choosing. Since the class was 99% female and I observed many of them with keychain sprays, I decided to do mine on pepper spray. :lol:

How many here carry one of those keychain sprays?
(lots of hands raise)

How long have you had it on your keychain, and do you know when it expired?
(Some looked, and many gasped that theirs were expired by several years. Some sounded like empty cans.)

There's a lot of people who buy self-defense tools as feel-good measures and then promptly let them collect dust in the bottom of their handbags or end tables, without consideration to maintenece, effective deployment and proper usage. But it's the thought that counts doesn't work here. :dead:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've found the foam doesn't have the area effect like spray and stream. A little bit, but not nearly as bad.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can you image the lawsuits against you if you sprayed a BG and then some innocent asthmatic started having problems!?!?!?!?!

In todays age when you can't have peanut butter in public schools or on some public transportation, I'd just much rather have my pistol with me.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
d2thomas said:
Can you image the lawsuits against you if you sprayed a BG and then some innocent asthmatic started having problems!?!?!?!?!
This was, unfortunately, my first thought also...:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
988 Posts
d2thomas said:

In todays age when you can't have peanut butter in public schools or on some public transportation, I'd just much rather have my pistol with me.
Can you imagine being assualted, robbed, raped, etc. while that innocent asthmatic along with anyone else in that car most likely just sat there and watched it happen? :aargh4:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Don't be fooled by the effects of OC on yourself or on an unsuspecting subject. Under those circumstances, the chemical may well cause incapacitation and agonizing pain...just as advertised. Some brands (like some of the foams) feature a brilliant dye to mark the BG for cops. All of that is well and good, but it doesn't address the BG who's high on drugs OR in an extreme emotional rage OR can just focus very effectively...the chemical may not have the desired effect....at all. I've been hit with a variety of chemical agents: CS & CN in the form of gas grenades and training pellets (burned for training chambers) as well as commercially sold "mace" and other stuff. When I was VERY young and working as an unarmed security guard my issued can of "mace" actually exploded on me and covered me in the stuff. Not very fun. But I wasn't paralyzed, either. I've got buddies in Special Operations who can durn near GARGLE with the stuff. For them it's a matter of mind over matter: They don't mind, because it doesn't matter. I think chemicals are for the wives of police administrators who want to look PC for future elected office.

TASERS and other stun devices work on established scientific principles. They work 99% of the time...however, there is that shred of the populace that is simply resistant to electricity. I personally adhere to the theory that if the attack doesn't rise to the level where deadly force can be used as a valid solution, you should be able to extricate yourself by other means which don't involve chemicals....If the attack is lethal in nature, then lethal force may be applied. That's what this forum is all about....

·
Registered
275 Posts
gddyup said:
Can you imagine being assualted, robbed, raped, etc. while that innocent asthmatic along with anyone else in that car most likely just sat there and watched it happen? :aargh4:
Oh don't worry about me, I've traded in my can of OC for a S&W LONG time ago!

The POINT is that in todays day and age, people are filing lawsuits LEFT and RIGHT and it's a darn shame....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts