Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new-to-me GP100 to the range today and had a great time with it. I forgot how much fun revolvers are. With a bit more practice, I could easily imagine shopping for a midsize .357 for use as a CCW.

However, out of 150 rounds of Perfecta .38 spl, I had 5-6 light strikes. Two of them I re-struck and neither fired. I also fired 50 rds of Perfecta .357 without a single issue.

I've shot a probly 200 rounds of 9mm Perfecta thru other guns and can't remember any light strikes, and didn't expect the problems with .38 spl.

The gun does not seem to have been fired much before I got it. I examined it a few minutes ago, and to my eye the firing pin looks to be projecting plenty into the primer. The cylinder isn't moving excessively, and the clearance between the barrel and cylinder seems minimal. It does look like the hammer is rubbing a tiny bit on the right side, but you can't feel it at all when you move the hammer and it's hard for me to think it's having a significant impact.

Anybody have any similar issues with either Perfecta or GP100s?

For those who like pics (I've got to get some better lighting):

revolver ruger GP100 sm.jpg

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
If they didn't fire the second time, I'd probably put it down to bad primers rather than light strikes. I had an auto that had light strikes at about twice that frequency (probably due to crud in the striker channel), and as I recall, every time I gave a round a second chance, it went off.

I don't know a lot about GP100's, but I'd guess it's giving the primer a good hard whack every time. Nice-looking piece!

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Perfecta is made by Fiocchi, isn't it?
I've read that if you want to test a lighter striker spring in your Glock to make sure it's still heavy enough to ignite the primer, shoot some Fiocchi. If you get light strikes it will be with Fiocchi primers.

So you bought that beautiful gun used? Did they change the mainspring to a lighter one? A common way to lighten the trigger.

What do your primer dimples look like? Do they look like light strikes, or are they deep and the primer just failed to ignite?

I suppose it could be a bad primer, but I've never had Fiocchi fail to go bang.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my GP100 only it was with factory ammo, handloads, .357 & 38 sp's. It was always a occasional intermittent light strike, enough to not trust the gun. I first sent it back to Ruger, can't remember what they did but it wasn't fixed. I took the gun apart per the manual instructions. I found a dimple on the firing pin side of the transfer bar enough, in my opinion, to cause a occasional light strike. My thinking is the dimple or dent (caused by years of firing) was not allowing the firing pin to travel the required distance to reliably ignite the primer. I replaced the transfer bar and the mainspring assembly. You can get these parts from Ruger, their customer service is excellent! They are easy to replace and if your gun is registered with Ruger (warranty card/registry card when you bought the gun) they will send you the parts for free. I just recently rebuilt my SP 101 for preventative maintenance. My GP 100 has not failed since I did this, I believe it's fixed, hopes this helps you! Also, I would highly recommend ordering the mainspring assembly as a whole with the pin already installed. It's a bear to buy the spring, hammer strut, and seat separately then try to assemble it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the help!

I just disassembled it to check out the transfer bar, and I can't believe how easy this thing is to pull apart. What a great design. I'm starting to really lean toward a 3" or 4" GP100 as my next CCW.

Anyway, there was a light dimple on the transfer bar, so I ordered a new one and a few other things tonight from Midwest.

I'll file a report after my next range session.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I sure hope that solves your problem. I have noticed while comparing my GP100 to my SP101, the firing pin of the SP101 looks to extend further out (more into the primer) then the GP100. That dimple on the transfer bar which may only be a couple .001's may just be putting it on the harry edge of igniting the primer or not. I did bring that to the attention of Ruger but my GP100 came back the same after I sent it in the first time. So far so good for me, good luck to you......

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try shooting an SP101 in .357. The 3" is one of the best carry .357's around.
I'm definitely considering it. The thing is that after swapping on a smaller handle I don't think I'll have any problem carrying or concealing a shorter barrel GP100, so I don't know if I need a smaller, lighter frame.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Try shooting an SP101 in .357. The 3" is one of the best carry .357's around.
Just got done carrying mine whilst doing some errands.

Consider this 3" SP101 recommendation numba two.

Edit: Just saw the above post. I'm still leaving this here though. I'd be willing to carry a 3" GP100 with compact grips, but the 101 is already here and does its job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts