Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard nothing but good things about this ammo for over two years and with the price being around $10 at Wal-Mart for this brass cased ammo it's hard to pass up.

My experience has not been good. My friend brought out his new M&P 9 compact and he was shooting everything from federal to some cheap polymer coated ammo without issue. I had brought four boxes of the Perfecta and let him shoot some and he had multiple FTF. Upon further investigation it seemed the tips of the rounds were dragging at the front of the magazine. Maybe the rounds overall length is out of spec combined with the M&Ps magazine being a bit tight in regards to length?

On a separate occasion I had a few FTF with my wife's XD9 subcompact. Keep in mind these are different batches of ammo over time. To top it all off I then had more FTF with my FNS 9 compact.

My XD and FNS haven't had ANY failures to feed before or after using this ammo. Both pistols are reaching around the 1K mark at least and my friends M&P compact has had no issues since, but he doesn't shoot much.

Have any of you experienced issues with this ammo, because I find it hard to think it's a coincidence.

I've shoot mostly federal aluminum and brass with the occasional winchester white box with no issues.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If my memory serves me right just about every round that failed to feed was nose up jammed at the top of the chamber. No stove pipes or failure to eject.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Prob just some slightly out of spec OAL one those, I've bought lots of this ammo as well and have had no issues to date with it..

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prob just some slightly out of spec OAL one those, I've bought lots of this ammo as well and have had no issues to date with it..
That's about the consensus I keep hearing. I bought another box and will give it one more try and finalize an opinion.

People keep saying it runs 100% in there pistols.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Sounds like maybe a bad batch. Sigs, Berettas, and Glocks. No problems from any of them.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I have run about 700 rds of Perfecta 9mm so far mostly in Glocks, Shield, and some through my Stag Arms 9mm AR with zero problems. I have run about 100 rds of Perfecta .45 acp through my G-36 with no problems either. Perfecta and Federal aluminum cased Champion is my got-to range ammo.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have shot 500 or 600 rounds of the perfecta in 9 MM from Wal-Mart in western Washington without any issues. I know some of my 9MM like different ammo more than others: what works fine one 9MM may not work as well in a different 9MM

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The Perfecta is brass coated, the other brands lead, or copper coated.

I found this same issue using 22 ammo when going from many rounds of copper to the brass coated it jammed the feed ramp. Upon inspection it looked like the brass and copper were gumming up. I could run 100s of rounds of either but when I mixed the two metals it would jam. Clean the feed ramp and try the brass again. The brass seemed to splinter like tiny shards, the copper was more powder like and the two together made concrete.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The Perfecta is brass coated, the other brands lead, or copper coated.

I found this same issue using 22 ammo when going from many rounds of copper to the brass coated it jammed the feed ramp. Upon inspection it looked like the brass and copper were gumming up. I could run 100s of rounds of either but when I mixed the two metals it would jam. Clean the feed ramp and try the brass again. The brass seemed to splinter like tiny shards, the copper was more powder like and the two together made concrete.
Perfecta is not brass coated. It is a brass case with a copper alloy jacketed bullet...just like most other manufacturers.

An example of "brass coated" ammunition would be Golden Bear, which has a brass-coated steel case, and usually either a brass or copper washed, mild steel jacketed lead bullet.

Sometimes the exact alloy will take on different hues...for example, I've bought boxes of WWB FMJ that, when opened, some of the bullets had a more "gold" tone, others the reddish'"copper" tone. Same manufacturer, purchased at the same time from the same retailer...just different boxes. They intermixed and ran just fine in whatever firearm I put them in.

What the OP may have experienced is, simply, some guns don't like some brands/types of ammo. Shoot enough, and you'll see it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
almost 2000 rounds of mostly perfecta, some WWB's and 50 each of steel case and aluminum case
My Springfield Mod2 9mm hasn't had a single hiccup, even dumping all 16 rounds as fast as i can.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Perfecta is not brass coated. It is a brass case with a copper alloy jacketed bullet...just like most other manufacturers.

An example of "brass coated" ammunition would be Golden Bear, which has a brass-coated steel case, and usually either a brass or copper washed, mild steel jacketed lead bullet.

Sometimes the exact alloy will take on different hues...for example, I've bought boxes of WWB FMJ that, when opened, some of the bullets had a more "gold" tone, others the reddish'"copper" tone. Same manufacturer, purchased at the same time from the same retailer...just different boxes. They intermixed and ran just fine in whatever firearm I put them in.

What the OP may have experienced is, simply, some guns don't like some brands/types of ammo. Shoot enough, and you'll see it.
I have shot a lot of rounds, and this issue only happens when I mix plated bullets. I've shot Many boxes of perfecta 9mm over the last two years and I've never had an issue with it, but I do try to avoid mixing platings because of my experience with the 22 caliber. It's a lot easier to go through 300-500 rounds of 22 ammo in a short period than it is 9 mm especially the cost and fatigue factors. I've seen the sludge that develops from mixing the rounds, versus staying with one brand.

Ammunition Brass Metal

Looks like brass to me!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have shot some in 9mm and 308, no problems.
The 308 has been good in my experience as well. The M1A eats it just fine, and the price is great. I'll just have to give it another shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I have shot a lot of rounds, and this issue only happens when I mix plated bullets. I've shot Many boxes of perfecta 9mm over the last two years and I've never had an issue with it, but I do try to avoid mixing platings because of my experience with the 22 caliber. It's a lot easier to go through 300-500 rounds of 22 ammo in a short period than it is 9 mm especially the cost and fatigue factors. I've seen the sludge that develops from mixing the rounds, versus staying with one brand.

View attachment 168969

Looks like brass to me!
You know there's a difference between plated bullets and jacketed bullets, right?

And .22's aren't either--they're usually washed--basically painted with a light coat of gilding medal. Also, since .22's have a heavy lube in the bullet...they're really not germaine when discussing 9mm jacketed rounds.

About the only brass jacketed bullets in common use are the Remington Golden Saber.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
my shield 40 would not eat a mag of their 170 gr. without puking several times, it just did not like the perfecta , like you the bullets would jam in the top of the chamber instead of feeding, G22/23 SR40 ate them like Oreos but the Shield just wouldn't run them, it would eat anything else I fed it though.
I'm thinking it was either the bullet profile( it is shaped a little different than most 40) or OAL

·
Registered
982 Posts
We have shot Perfecta .380 and 9mm through a Ruger LCP Custom, Sig P238, Ruger LCP II and a Shield 9mm.. It has performed flawlessly.. So well in fact we are going to be going to Wallys semi regularly, and buy as much as we can to the exclusion of other brands for awhile.. It seems to work as well as anything else we have tried, Including WWB, UMC, Sig, Federal etc.. Speaking of Federal, I also like their cheap aluminum case stuff in the Shield.. Never an issue with it... The only cheap stuff I can't stomach is Tula... I hate being so cheap, but for punching paper at the range why spend another $5-8 a box if the cheaper stuff works every bit as well in the guns you are using?. bob

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I've had zero issues from it through my Glocks and Ruger however some gun are adverse to some ammunition. That's just the way it is. That's why it's a good idea to try matching guns with ammo that runs through them. You just learned that Perfecta doesn't do well in a couple of your guns. Stick to the others. :king: There, all fixed.

Make sure your self defense rounds work through your guns.

I'm not intimately familiar with you guns so I don't know the barrel lengths or other details but I did notice that they were all "compact". Once again there is an opportunity for mismatched ammo. Some ammo just doesn't like shorter barrels. It's really just a matter of finding out what works which means you have to shoot a lot to figure it out.

What's the:gah: bad news?

Still if were me I's start taking extra time when I cleaned my weapons to really get after the feed ramp. Just make it part of the routine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts