Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/DEFENSE_INSTRUCTOR&SECTION=HOME

OAKLAND, CA— Tae kwon do instructor Darryl Connally, 42, said Monday that he never teaches his students everything he knows about self-defense. "I give them enough to get by in most street-level confrontations," said the author of The Nearly Complete Guide To Urban Security. "But you never give a potential opponent an edge." Connally added that "a true master must always be on his guard, lest one of his Basic Women's Self-Defense Seminar pupils rises against him."

·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
haha

The fact that he went public with the fact that he limits the depth of teaching speaks volumes. How can he know in advance what will "get his students by" on the street in any future scenario that has not happened yet? :blink:

Me thinks that if you are "holding back" knowledge then you should also "hold back" the public announcment of the fact....grasshopper.

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Perhpas he will see the error of his ways when class sizes begin to dimish. or perhaps he should consider another line of work.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
I would imagine it's a joke. Self defense pupil rise against him? Who would say that?:biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Makes me think of a firearms instructor who might never allow his students to have a full mag or full revo cylinder - just so as he could and thus have an edge :18:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
AirForceShooter said:
A good Teacher and Master is very happy if his/her student can surpass them.
Isn't that the goal?

AFS
+1. What he said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts