Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how long the wait is for the permit to perchase. they told me 7-10 biz days for sherburn co. mn. anyone have an idea on this. thanks.
sorry about the miss spell.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe the law is 7 business days (IMO) but wouldn't gripe about the extra three. Mine only took 7 in Rock County.

Option 1
Fill out a the Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt Permit to Purchase/Transfer. Submit the application to your local police chief, or if your municipality does not have a police department, to your county's sheriff. The law enforcement agency will conduct a series of background-related checks to assure you meet eligibility requirements established in state law.
Once those checks are complete, a one-year permit to purchase a handgun in Minnesota will be issued. If you are applying for a permit to transfer the law enforcement agency must notify you of its status within seven days of receipt.
If you are selling a handgun and the buyer has not obtained a permit to purchase, you must notify the local police department or sheriff's office of the potential transaction. Once the law enforcement agency receives the transfer/purchase agreement, the agency has five days to determine the potential buyer's eligibility to possess a handgun.
Option 2
If you want to make a one-time purchase of a handgun from a dealer and you do not have a permit to purchase, you may apply directly at the gun shop where you will purchase the handgun. The gun shop will require you to complete a consent form that allows them to conduct a name and date-of-birth background check to determine your eligibility to purchase a gun. The gun shops are entitled to charge a fee for this service.

From the Minnesota BCA website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i remember reading that, thats why i was asking because today was day 8. maybe i will call them tomorrow after work. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
41,559 Posts
You need a permit to purchase what 2A gives you the right to own?

·
Registered
384 Posts
You need a permit to purchase what 2A gives you the right to own?
Says the guy who will be taking anger management classes to buy ammo soon. :wink: Just kidding, a lot of other States laws seem absurd to me as well. But they've got it better than Illinois!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we can buy rifles and shotguns over the counter with a fast back ground check, but hand guns are a different story. just Mn laws. if i had the permit to carry that would take care of the permit to buy also.
but it one step at a time for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The PTC as a purchase permit my become void. Senator Latz and Representative Paymar are trying to push through legislation that will strip that function of the Carry Permit. Latz got it through the Senate Judiciary Committee last night and Paymar will try to get it through the House committee on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think you all need to put the heat on your state legislature and tell the bums to fix the law or expect to be voted out of office. Just my hillbilly opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only reason they placed a hold is because they need more time. I just had a federal backround check done to get the permit to carry and now they place a hold on me. This whole system doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I remember when I lived in the peoples republic of california, you had a 15 day, cooling off period, after the background check. to pick up your gun.
glad I don't live there anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts