Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on your experiences guys, how effective is this round?

The Luckygunner results seem decent.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant

And the performance on Ammo Quest wasn't terrible.

Nevertheless, I'm hearing a lot of people say that they don't expand very well in clothing barrier tests. Does anyone have any extensive experience with them? Looking forward to your thoughts.

p.s. OldVet is my role model.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Never having had to use it in real life, who can say.

It's what I carry in my Shield.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I usually move toward heavy for caliber. I've been told that the 147g HST "neuters" the 9mm :rolleyes: ehh, yeah.
Regardless, I don't know that another 3 grains makes it more or less neutered.

-jb, feels like 124+P is a sweet spot, never shot anybody 🤞

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I like the way 147 gr shooting in a lot of my carry guns. I have quite a bit of 147 gr defense in stock as well as range ammo.

Reactions: Mike in Texas

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Why Neuter the 9mm? If you want heave and slow in that weight range why not just carry a 38 Snubby?

Based on my experience and research I see those as about the worse possible 9mm load unless you are running suppressed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why Neuter the 9mm? If you want heave and slow in that weight range why not just carry a 38 Snubby?

Based on my experience and research I see those as about the worse possible 9mm load unless you are running suppressed.
But supposedly the 150 grain was designed specifically by Federal for subcompact/smaller pistols. I'm thinking there has to be some science behind their decision and based on the Ammo Quest video, it performed decently.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
A daughter has G19 gen 5 , early gen 5 and tried bow of the 150gr hst and it did not pass a plunk test . IT sat proud in the chamber . Also would not loads from a mag . Contact was made with gluck , pistol sent in on there dime with photo of 150gr cartridge in a dial caliper . Glock sent latter back with the pistol saying it was in spec !! Yea right . Any how a local custom smithy I talked to said he had all ready worked on a several g19 as LE back up that had the same issues . I swamped 20rounds of 147gr hst to he that ran well and found that the 150gr at least 10 rounds cycled in my AR9 OK so the other are in a 10 round mag for the AR9 . I have about 3.5 - 50 round boxes of 147gr HST LE bought several years ago when it was also cheaper than 20 rounds boxes at the same time !

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
But supposedly the 150 grain was designed specifically by Federal for subcompact/smaller pistols. I'm thinking there has to be some science behind their decision and based on the Ammo Quest video, it performed decently.
Jello performance does not equal street performance, per se.

Compare to this.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Everything I've seen indicates the standard flavors of hst in 9mm out performs the "micro" version even in short barrels. I like the hst in my short barrel 9mms, but have 0 interest in the "micro" offering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts