Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A variation from another thread, but has anyone here tried prescription shooting glasses? If so, what make/model and what result? I would like progressive bi-focal wrap around style glasses. The Oakley Tombstones look great but apparently are not prescription.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How do those differ from shatter resistant prescription glasses? I'm due for a new pair of glasses, so would like to know the difference in these "shooting" glasses.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use Winchester prescription glasses that have the readers up top and on the bottom. They work great for range shooting, but I want to switch to my everyday glasses because those are going to be on my face when I really need them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just had my opthamoligist make me a pair that gave me perfect front sight focus...just reversed the normal bi-focal so that the "reading" was up not down....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just had my opthamoligist make me a pair that gave me perfect front sight focus...just reversed the normal bi-focal so that the "reading" was up not down....
Can you elaborate a little more on this? I have 'standard' glasses for nearsightedness, and I can no longer focus on front sight. I can still shoot OK, but I used to have tack-sharp vision on that front sight. I was thinking of getting new glasses as my prescription has slightly changed, but based on your post it sounds like this won't help me. Will I need to get reversed bi-focals? How did you come up with this idea?

Many thanks for some help, Dave F.

-

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
A variation from another thread, but has anyone here tried prescription shooting glasses? If so, what make/model and what result? I would like progressive bi-focal wrap around style glasses. The Oakley Tombstones look great but apparently are not prescription.
I got Rx shooting glasses a year ago. I used a Lenscrafter store because a friend who's a nationally-ranked USPSA shooter is their house optometrist. Getting the prescription was the easy part, getting frames was a bear. Forget about Oakleys if you have anything but the mildest RX... I had to make 3 trips back to the store because each time an order went through for a frame I liked, Oakley took a day or more to reject the order because it either wasn't available in prescription at all, or my modest prescription had more correction than they could handle. I ended up with some Ray-Bans that have good eye coverage and wraparound.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
I don't recall who made the frames, but my optomotrist talked me into getting prescription to put the front sight in focus (I wear reading and computer glasses). I found it made absolutely no difference in my shooting and considered it to be a waste of money. I wore them a couple of times and never wore them again.

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
My prescription shooting glasses are polycarbonate lenses with my trifocal prescription ONLY in the whole lens. This makes them appropriate for both computer use and handgun shooting - but not for long gun shooting which I do not do anyway. They are in safety glasses frames that come with the side pieces to protect your eyes from the side. Those side pieces can be removed easily.

My regular glasses are trifocals with the lines - not progressive because I tried progressive lenses and could not focus on anything at all at any distance - and polycarbonate lenses. I have the trifocal made larger, both width and depth, than standard, and placed higher also. They work for me for everything. The only time I have to adjust them is when driving I have to nudge them down on my nose a tiny smidge so the line for the trifocal isn't in the middle of my sight picture. I don't do much driving so that is not a problem for me.

When wearing the shooting glasses the sights are crisp and clear - the target not so much when it is over 12 yards away. However, I aim for center of mass and that is where my bullets go and I do not need to see the little "points" rings on the target. If you shoot bullseye my system won't work for you, but I train for self defense.

When we had our interior decorating business hubby had a pair of glasses made with the bifocal in the top instead of the bottom so he could see when working over his head, installing drapery rods and channels for blinds.

Any optical department can provide what you want and need - all you have to do is take in your prescription. That means you can shop around for price.

Different people have found different solutions for shooting glasses. The above is mine and has worked for me for a lot of years now.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
You want computer distance progressive lenses. They're a standard thing these days. Mine are just in relatively inexpensive aviator frames which give a lot of coverage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We have an optometrist locally that customizes shooting glasses for people. You bring in your pistol and he does his thing. Seems to be pretty popular with the local indoor range folks. Here is his contact info in case anyone wants to ask him any questions.

Hayden Vision Source
Optometrist, Eye Doctor in Hayden ID | Hayden Vision Source

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
When I shot Hi power competition I used contacts. My glasses sucked in the prone position because your not looking through the center of the lens where its focused, but the top portion. I never got custom lens. Contacts work...if you stay hydrated. Hard when its hot and dry with wind in your face.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Decot shooting glasses- excellent info

Decot Sport Glasses - The Best Shooting & Sport Glasses Under The Sun! - Old Pistol Shooters Don't Give Up, They Just Lose Their Sights You will enjoy the article even if you elect another option.

I Took this article to my eye doctor who prescribed tri-focals based on the formula in this article. Reading is at the bottom, distance in the center, shooting at the top. Note the power will be different for rifle shooters than pistol shooter as the front sight is farther away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts