Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple times at the range, I've been having problems with my PF9 not feeding. The first time around, I thought that it just may need a good cleaning, so I did that before returning. The second time, I was still having the problem.

Specifically, it just simply doesn't feed when firing. I insert the magazine, rack it, pull the trigger - bang. Pull the trigger again - click. Rack, pull, bang, pull, click.

It does seem slightly ammo sensitive - Speer Gold Dot has about a 100% FTF rate. Remington and Winchester round-nose fed much more reliably, failing maybe 1 out of 10. But even 1 in 10 is way too much.

I may pick up an extra magazine to test if that may be the problem, but the gun is only a few months old, so I don't think it's likely.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Interesting...my PF9 ate over 2,000 rounds of anything I fed it, including some stuff my other 9 mils wouldn't.
1. Dirty - clean it
2. Limp wristing - hold it tighter
3. Some mechanical flaw - get a smith to look at it

I'm afraid that's all I can tell ya. Go over to KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group (Kel-Tec Owner's Group) and see what they say.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Call Kel Tec and they will make it good.

I hear they are very very good in the service department.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Interesting...my PF9 ate over 2,000 rounds of anything I fed it, including some stuff my other 9 mils wouldn't.
1. Dirty - clean it
2. Limp wristing - hold it tighter
3. Some mechanical flaw - get a smith to look at it

I'm afraid that's all I can tell ya. Go over to KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group (Kel-Tec Owner's Group) and see what they say.

Same here, I have a couple thousand rounds in my PF9 and it eats everything I put into it, even cheap Hungarian loads. If you hold it loosely it WILL jam. Other than that it has been extremely reliable for me.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I'm a bit confused too - is it failing to feed (slide is not completely in battery, round is jammed up in there some where) or is it failing to fire (round is in the chamber, slide is closed into battery, but gun won't fire)?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just picked mine up the other day. The mag seems like it can be a bit tricky from time to time, like it doesn't want to seat all the way unless you give it a good mash. I'd keep an eye on that as well.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I may pick up an extra magazine to test if that may be the problem, but the gun is only a few months old, so I don't think it's likely. Your thoughts?
Your comment suggests that you only have one magazine and have not tried another. My experience is that a high percentage of FTF and jamming problems are magazine related. Hopefully, replacement magazine(s) will solve your problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You may also perform a "Fluff & Buff" on the gun the next time you disassemble it:
GoldenLoki.com

There's also a decent lubrication guide here for the KT pistols:
GoldenLoki.com

Aside from Winchester white box ammo, I've never had a problem with mine feeding/ejecting. If you do F&B your pistol, you may pay particular attention to the feed ramp on the barrel. Mine had some parkerizing on it in a couple places. I took some rubbing compound and a dremel to it and polished it up to a high shine :)

You may also like to check out the Keltec Owners Group website, lots of useful info there:
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=newpistol

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i would do the f&b on the gun. and make sure you are not limp wristing the gun. all kel tecs guns likes to be clean and grease works the best on the rails.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My PF9 had no problems, but I did the fluff and buff and polished up the trigger linkage. It was my first pistol to really disassemble and work over. It was fun and the pistol still works. If you are in to that sort of thing, the instructions pointed out earlier on this thread are excellent.

·
Registered
223 Posts
PF9 issues

I have a PF9 and I've been banned from the Kel Tec site for bashing it. My first PF9 was replaced by Kel Tec in 4 weeks. So I guess you could say that is good customer service. I had the same problem you have. On my new PF9 I believe but haven't yet been able to varify; I have the extended finger rest on the magazine. It doesn't exactly give me enough room to have all three fingers on the grip so my fingers are squeezed together. This appears to move the magazine slightly downward. I don't know if this small movement is sufficient to cause the slide to not grab the bullet suffiiciently. If this is a continous problem call Kel Tec and send it back. I know I hate that advice also, but, there isn't much alternative. Personally I advise people to avoid Kel Tec. I have three of their guns and all three have issues. You ask why did I buy them if I'm so critical. Because the price is right. As a CCW weapon, it's unacceptable to my standards. That is, a CCW weapon must go bang when you pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
First step with any new pistol is to run a couple-three hundred round of cheap ball ammo through it.

Then if there are feeding issues, the first step is to try a different magazine. The lips of magazines can get bent enough to cause feeding problems and not be easily detectable to the eye.

Next try different ammo. Many 9mm pistols choke on the heaviest bullets, but happily eat 124gr. or lighter. Try different brands, too.

Still having a problem, call KelTec! They will make it right.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Send it in to KelTec and let them make it right for you. Also, I could never get them on the phone, but they replied to emails fairly well. (HINT).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So just to clarify, your "clicks" are falling on an empty chamber?
That is correct.

I'm a bit confused too - is it failing to feed (slide is not completely in battery, round is jammed up in there some where) or is it failing to fire (round is in the chamber, slide is closed into battery, but gun won't fire)?
Actually, neither of the above. This is one example:

1. Insert loaded magazine
2. Rack slide
3. Aim, pull trigger, gun fires, spent case ejects, slide cycles fully.
4. Aim, pull trigger, gun does not fire.
5. Rack slide. Nothing comes out.
6. Go back to #3

With the Gold Dot, this would happen almost every time.

Stopping after step 4, if I remove the magazine and open the slide, the gun is clear.

I just picked mine up the other day. The mag seems like it can be a bit tricky from time to time, like it doesn't want to seat all the way unless you give it a good mash. I'd keep an eye on that as well.
Thought about that, but I'm quite certain that the magazine is fully seated.

Your comment suggests that you only have one magazine and have not tried another. My experience is that a high percentage of FTF and jamming problems are magazine related. Hopefully, replacement magazine(s) will solve your problem.
Two magazines, actually - but I will admit that this last range visit I only had one with me. I'll double check that - it's still high on my list. Besides, a new magazine is only about $20, and it's not like I wouldn't use it...

And thanks to everyone for the additional input. I'll give the F&B a try, too, especially if the new magazine doesn't work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've shot one of these for a few years now and there are certain loads that I simply cannot hang on to without 100% effort and concentration, and one handed training is out of the question. To make the firearm function properly, there cannot be a hint of a limp wrist behind the shot. The PF9 is simply too light.

To eliminate the possibility that you don't have the necessary gorilla grip (which no man wants to consider but we have to be realistic), let a buddy shoot it with the same ammo and see if he has an issue as well.

If he does, I'd get a new mag (w/o the pinky extension, which in my opinion puts too much leverage on the mag), and give it a few hundred more rounds and let it meld together a bit more. Then I would call KT. Based on my experience and your description, I'm not sure that call is warranted just yet.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happens with my PF9 and any hollow point that I have tried through it. What happens with both of my magazines is the bullet actualy gets stuck under the feed ramp so the slide will close all the way. I have not yet gotten around to sending it to KelTec though plan on it. All FMJ rounds will feed and eject just fine, only have the problem with hollow points.

No pinky extensions on either of my mags.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts