Defensive Carry banner

Do you prefer phillips or hex (allen) hardware?

• Phillps

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Hex (allen)

Votes: 44 84.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hex

You probably don't need to adjust your holster every day and most people that tinker with guns already have a set of hex, so avaliblity is not a problem.
Long term I feel hex is less likely to strip out and loose its finish.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Chose hex, but would prefer Torx. Just cause it would look cooler and be even less likely to strip out. Phillips is good for drywall and that's about it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hex is just dandy. No reason NOT to have a hex driver around, even if you supply it with the holster and the idiot loses it.

Phillips screws tend to cam-out, mainly when they are tightened or loosened improperly; unfortunately, this happens all too frequently.

(You should see some of the (hundreds) of dorked Phillips screws I have removed from turbine powered aircraft, where mechanics are "supposed" to know what they are doing.)

Hex, Baby !!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I much prefer hex, I feel they last much longer and are easier to deal with overall. I rarely strip out hex screws, when I do, it is usually just the outside edge using an Allen wrench.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Would mostly prefer a HEX screw. I tend to strip out Phillips screws (Color me KLUTZ)

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Hex is way better. Phillips are always easy to damage.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
would offering both at point-of-order be too much of a hassle? Do you think another (possibly) confusing step in the ordering process would hurt business?

I know I would prefer hex, for all the reasons given. I also suspect more of the posters here, including myselg, are dedicated gun folks, at least with some modicum of mechanical ability and the tools to match.

However; there will invariably be the single women and non-mechanical men who will prefer the ease of Philips. ...and I don't actually stripping out a Philips on a holster. slightly boogering up maybe, but not actually stripping.

in all the holsters I've bought they've been Philipsl, so you're going against the grain with a hex, but maybe that's a good thing.

tough call for me honestly to give advice on this. Hence my suggestion to offer both. ...but I can totally see the spongebob generation being scared off by such a time consuming and difficult decision.... :rolleyes: - good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Definitely hex.

The only thing as bad as cammed out Phillips screws are the worn out Phillips screwdrivers I see in every toolbox (yes, even mine)

Torx or even square drive would work as well.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Neither

A good leather holster has no need for hardware.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts