Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a neighbor's teenage son to a gun shop this morning to have an armorer check out an M1 .30 caliber carbine he received from his grandfather who's own father carried it in WWII. I had suggested that he have the gun checked out to make sure it would be safe to shoot. Also the magazine was in poor condition. The gun store verified that his "new" rifle was safe to fire and on the way out, I mentioned that there was a gun show in Winchester this weekend. He was ready to go as he had never been to a gun show (I have been mentoring him for a few year on firearms and have taken him to a local range three or four times).

So off to the gun show we went. I was going to go there to see if any vendors had an M&P 45 Shield at a good enough price... one that would beat what I could get if for online + the transfer fee. And I found one!! It has some nice improvements over my two 9mm Shields, a few of which you don't think about until you've handled the gun. And two days ago, I put one of my 9mm Shields on consignment sale so the money I get from that will go back towards my new 45 Shield.

My teenage friend found a new 15-round magazine for his carbine and also bought 150 rounds of ammunition for it, plus a new pocket knife. Good day for the both of us.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You are going to like the Shield .45. I recently purchased one as well and have about 150 rounds now down range. I will tell you that the recoil is significantly more pronounced than my Shield 9mm. It will most likely be in my summer CCW rotation.
Congrats!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats and waiting on a range report on the Shield .45
Thank you. I will probably hit the range with it this coming Friday.

You are going to like the Shield .45. I recently purchased one as well and have about 150 rounds now down range. I will tell you that the recoil is significantly more pronounced than my Shield 9mm. It will most likely be in my summer CCW rotation.
Congrats!
I expect the recoil to be greater than that of the 9mm version but I have been told by some, and seen reports on video reviews, that it is not all that much greater. Of course we both know that recoil really means felt recoil and there are a lot of factors that determine how that pans out. I used to have an M&P 40 Shield and didn't like shooting it at all. The felt recoil for me on that gun could be best described as punishing. And I am not all that recoil sensitive, having owned and still own some fine .44 Magnums for which I brewed my own handloads. Guess I'll find out in five days, eh?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Nice pick up. I have come close on more than one occasion to buying the 45 Shield. Looking forward to hearing a report.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Great to see you taking time out of your day to spend with a young shooter.

Good job!

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Good job taking care of the kid.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My Shield 45 is new with only 400 rounds through it, but so far I'm quite happy with the choice. I've had no function issues, it is quite accurate, recoil is easily managed, and it is a good size/weight for a carry 45 IMO. If you sell your 9 and go with the 45, I think you should be happy with the decision.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
We appreciate you being a mentor....more of us should be doing this, given the chance.

Reactions: GentlemanJim

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to see you taking time out of your day to spend with a young shooter.

Good job!
Thank you, sir. He's a good kid but I do wish his father would get more involved with things that are of interest to him. I even taught him the finer points of how to drive in 2016 so that he could sail through his driving test for his permit. He happens to love firearms, is very patriotic and conservative, loves American history, and does not do drugs, smoke, or drink. He just turned 17 last month.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Shield 45 is new with only 400 rounds through it, but so far I'm quite happy with the choice. I've had no function issues, it is quite accurate, recoil is easily managed, and it is a good size/weight for a carry 45 IMO. If you sell your 9 and go with the 45, I think you should be happy with the decision.
I'm only selling one of my 9mm Shields. I'm keeping the one with the external safety. My new 45 Shield also has the external safety. These are the only carry guns I have with a settable safety and that is for good reason. However, when I am carrying them on my person, the safety is always off.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Congratulations!!!! I got one myself recently and love it. Recoil isn't bad at all, it is a lot more comfortable to than the XDS .45 I had.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey! Congratulation on your new sidearm. I got one for Christmas and I like it a lot. I don't have any problem with recoil since it's not enough to affect aim when I fire rapidly. After carrying a 1911 I enjoy the weight and tuckability. Just a comment about the teenager you are helping. I'm nearing 70. When I was growing up guns were around and used normally. Now there's just so much fear and misunderstanding about this tool/machine. I blame Hollywood, TV, video games and disengaged parents for the increase in gun violence. If we trained kids early about how to handle and respect them we would all be better off. Good for you for helping that young guy out.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey! Congratulation on your new sidearm. I got one for Christmas and I like it a lot. I don't have any problem with recoil since it's not enough to affect aim when I fire rapidly. After carrying a 1911 I enjoy the weight and tuckability. Just a comment about the teenager you are helping. I'm nearing 70. When I was growing up guns were around and used normally. Now there's just so much fear and misunderstanding about this tool/machine. I blame Hollywood, TV, video games and disengaged parents for the increase in gun violence. If we trained kids early about how to handle and respect them we would all be better off. Good for you for helping that young guy out.
I'll be 71 this month but am told I look more like early to mid-50's. When I was a kid, firearms could be bought in hardware stores, gas stations, department stores, and even some drug stores. They were no big deal. The culprits you mentioned as the cause for the problems are right.. but there is more to this, much more. I won't go into it here on this thread but suffice it to say, we are allowing our national soul to die a slow death.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'll be 71 this month but am told I look more like early to mid-50's. When I was a kid, firearms could be bought in hardware stores, gas stations, department stores, and even some drug stores. They were no big deal. The culprits you mentioned as the cause for the problems are right.. but there is more to this, much more. I won't go into it here on this thread but suffice it to say, we are allowing our national soul to die a slow death.
Yeah, man. I'm sure if I went down the rabbit hole further I could more problems. That's for sure. I definitely should have included politicians and the press. I can't stand actors who preach against guns and make movies full of violence and unrealistic gun usage. Anyhow, I appreciate your message. Remember the surplus Mausers in the barrels in department stores? No background checks then, and no airport and cop killings either. Take care.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, man. I'm sure if I went down the rabbit hole further I could more problems. That's for sure. I definitely should have included politicians and the press. I can't stand actors who preach against guns and make movies full of violence and unrealistic gun usage. Anyhow, I appreciate your message. Remember the surplus Mausers in the barrels in department stores? No background checks then, and no airport and cop killings either. Take care.
When I was a kid, there was an army surplus store in my town and we kids would buy all manner of things there. Bayonets, ammo belts, entrenching tools, you name it. And it was cheap. Most of my friends had BB guns before we were ten years old. And we carried pocket knives to school as part of our normal dress. Times were definitely different back then.

Oh, and the young fellow I've been mentoring... He's a good kid. He just turned 17 last month and I've already had him to the range three or four times, with both of his parents' approval. What surprised me is that they both wanted me to show him how to properly operate a motor vehicle with the finer points. His dad is not exactly the best driver so that was a no-brainer for them. Maybe here before too long, I'll take him out in my "toy" and let him drive that once. It's a 2016 Audi S4 manual transmission*. It came down to that car and a Mustang GT. The S4 has more throttle response and feels quicker but I do love the Ford Coyote engine.

Oops, getting off topic. Back to firearms. After he gets a chance to shoot his M1 .30 Carbine, I'll probably have to show him how to clean it. He's already field stripped it several times.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took my new M&P 45 Shield to the range this morning for its maiden voyage. I took along target hardball 230 grain (very high quality reloads from an online supplier), Federal 230 grain HST +P, and Winchester Ranger T JHP 230 grain +P. The gun operated flawlessly with absolutely no hiccups, errors, etc. I only took along the magazine with the extended floorplate in +1 configuration. My first impression with a good firm hold was that the recoil was noticeably less than that of the M&P 40 Shield. And there was very little muzzle rise. Sights returned quickly to target and followup shots are better than expected. For such a light pistol with such a thin grip, the felt recoil was not at all bad and the gun handled remarkably well. I have slightly smaller than average size hands for my body size and the gun did just fine with me. Definitely a keeper and would make an excellent close (as in deeper) concealment gun, just like it brothers.

Even the hotter +P loads didn’t present a problem. And even though I didn’t fire a lot of ammunition, the more aggressive texture used on the grip did not bother my shooting hand. This little barnstorming pistol is a gem. With its brother in 9mm, I have an excellent choice between these two for deeper concealment. It certainly does recoil stronger than the 9mm version but trust me on this. It’s really not irritating or problematic. A truly fine little gun. For you fence sitters, take the plunge. You won’t be sorry.

Reactions: AzQkr and rmak

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good report and exactly my experience with my new Shield 45. I wrote just about the same thing on another thread after shooting it for the first time. For me it was more accurate and easier to shoot than my wife's Shield 9. One of our adult sons who had a chance to shoot both felt the same way. Since the sizes are the same I think the aggressive grip texture makes a big difference, as does the weight. With such a thin grip the texture helps to keep the pistol steady. I believe the 45 is actually lighter unloaded, but with a full magazine it sure feels heavier than the 9mm. For me, that's a good thing when shooting. Carrying isn't affected since the weight difference is negligible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts