Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be a little hard to carry this thing in the hot Florida summers but I am pretty determined to give it a try... Anyone else carrying a full size glock in the age of compacts and subcompacts ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I'd prefer not to, but yes I do.

With that being said, it's really not all that bad. I carry my Glock 17 Gen 4 (exact same dimensions as a Glock 22 Gen 4) in a Comp-Tac MTAC with Crossbreed metal clips. I'm fairly large (6 foot, 240 lbs.) and I can easily conceal this setup with a cutoff and XL t-shirt (normally I wear a L t-shirt, but the extra material of the XL is needed to break up the outline of the grip).

Although I can easily conceal this setup...I'd prefer something smaller. The long grip really gets annoying when sitting down.

Most will agree that the grip length is the most troublesome part of carrying, and the full size Glock is no exception. I used to carry a G19 Gen 4 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and it was WAY easier.

To summarize: yes it is easy to conceal a full size Glock, but it isn't the most comfortable (for me).

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Full sized guns are certainly viable carry options. Some of us actually prefer them.

However, when it comes to Glocks, I like the compacts. They are small enough to be more comfortable, yet large enough to fight with. A compact Glock with the corresponding full sized magazine looses very little.

It comes down to whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,834 Posts
I have been carrying a Glock G20 10mm since 1992. I usually wear an oversized Charlie Sheen (Charlie Harper on 2 1/2 Men) style shirt or a Hawaiian shirt. I find the synthetic blends or silk shirts flow over the gun while a stiff cotton shirt will bunch up on the gun.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have a g22 and a g36. I find the g22 just as easy to carry as the g36. I find a full size 1911 easier to carry than either.

·
Registered
18,809 Posts
It may be a little hard to carry this thing in the hot Florida summers but I am pretty determined to give it a try... Anyone else carrying a full size glock in the age of compacts and subcompacts ?
Im a firm believer in carrying a full size gun. And more often than not, it can be done with a little experimenting and the right holster. I carry a full size 1911 everyday, and feel like it can be easier to conceal because of the thinner frame, but a g17 or 22 is not appreciably more difficult.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Congratulations - I'm sure that you will love your new G22 (I love mine). I'll carry mine in the winter under a coat, but generally the G27 that follows me everywhere.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I carry either a Glock 17, S&W 1006 or S&W M&P all day, every day. My Glock 19 has been consigned to bug duty. It is all in the holster, the belt, and the positioning of the belt loops.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Try a Crossbreed or a copy cat. I carried my old XDM with a Crossbreed successfully. However it's a pain because of the longer grip. I thought about a grip chop until I heard about the C model Glocks. So I bought a 23C.

My stance now is, if it's a pistol its going to be something for concealed carry. Otherwise it won't get used. So I'll be buying a couple more Glock 23c's. It's just the right size for home defense with a G22 mag but can hide it under a hoodie or a loose button up shirt.

In God and Glock we Trust

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
When I first started carrying I carried a G22 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, Texas winters and summers. After a long while I changed mostly to a G23. Not because of concealment issues, but that I just, for some reason, shot it better. I have absolutely no reservations or problems carrying or concealing a G22.... did it for a long time....
I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Reactions: zonker1986

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Im a firm believer in carrying a full size gun. And more often than not, it can be done with a little experimenting and the right holster. I carry a full size 1911 everyday, and feel like it can be easier to conceal because of the thinner frame, but a g17 or 22 is not appreciably more difficult.
I agree....

I carry a full size Glock 21 daily, but being a corn fed country boy, I am on the "full-grown" side. The G22 or similar frame auto is not really as difficult to conceal as some think. I know of MANY police officers who carry their service sized Glock off duty. I believe it was Clint Smith who said "carrying a handgun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable". However, I feel with a little consideration to holster type and wardrobe you can actually have both.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On occasion I carry my G22. Usually when I know I'll be out away from all source of equipment and that will be the only piece I can carry. Just a little capacity insurance. But you pay a price in weight.
saa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry and conceal a Glock22 with a Comp-Tac MTAC holster with no problems at all. I even carry in the summer with a t-shirt with no issues. Get a good holster and a good belt and you should be good to go. I also carry a Metro Arms Commander Classic (19911) and I have no problems concealing it. The Commander is heavier than the Glock but the Glock is thicker.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
image.jpg bought a desantis intruder,seems high quality but I think I need to drill some holes so I can
Adjust the cant

·
Registered
534 Posts
Gen 4 G17 myself. I'm very new to carrying, but have no problem carrying my G17 (6'2", 225-230lbs.) I'm fast learning that a good holster is needed for 'proper' carrying. I'm getting by for now, but am looking forward to ordering a 'proper' holster in the next week or so. I will eventually get a compact sized gun, but my main carry will be the G17. Having the full grip just feels right in my long fingered hands.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
View attachment 70994 bought a desantis intruder,seems high quality but I think I need to drill some holes so I can
Adjust the cant
I have found that a 20-degree forward cant works the best for concealing and still accessing a full sized semi. This is the biggest gun I carry. Its grip is the same length as the full-sized Glocks and M&Ps, it has a 5" barrel, and it doesn't miss three pounds by much.
1006 10mm 020.JPG

Here is the holster I use for my full-sized M&P:
M&P full size 003.JPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts