Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I had the chance to try an XDs at the range. I had been looking for a new carry gun since I "gave" my XD9 subcompact to my wife. I ended up buying an XDs that day and even though it was my first .45, I fell in love with 45 ACP.

My only issue with the XDs is that it's tiny--great for a carry gun but not really what I wanted for the nightstand. So fast forward to the last couple of weeks when I decided to pick up a new full-size pistol.

After borrowing, renting, handling and drooling over several guns, I decided it was either going to have to be a Sig P220 SAO or an FNX 45. Since they apparently made like ten of the 220s in SAO *ever* and I couldn't come across any of them and the FNX is readily available (plus 50% greater capacity, I like the more aggressive tread on the grips, they come standard with a rail if I decide to add a light), I scored a great price on one on Gunbroker.

So I'm on the way to pick it up this afternoon! Now since this is a "Defensive Carry Guns" forum, has anyone tried carrying one of these bad boys? I'm going to have to try a few holsters, maybe hit the gun show in a few weeks and see if Michael Kole is there and can make a nice OWB for me. Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congrats - you'll love the FNH pistol.

I carried my FNP-45 during cold weather using a Remora or a hybrid IWB. Still prefer to carry a lighter and more compact 1911 though. Can't beat the big FNH pistol for home defence or as a service arm. Very friendly to shoot and a goodly amount of rounds at hand.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You're going to really like that gun. I have an FNX45T and it's the best home defense handgun I can imagine. 15+1 of .45ACP, night sights, rail for a light, and the most versatile safety system on any gun I know of. I have mine in the bed side safe decocked to put the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Nothing to remember, pick it up and it's ready to go.

That said, the thing is huge on my 5'-8" 158 lb body. I think I could hide a mail box easier - okay, I'm exaggerating but not much. It's thick, tall, and heavy. Too much of all of those for me to consider packing it. But for home defense, it's dead solid perfect.

Fitch

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
427 Posts
Give us a range report. That what i wanted instead of a Glock21, but then Sandy Hook happened and i got the Glock 21 the day after.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
A friend let me shoot his FNX45T. It's one bad-assed fight gun. Congrats on your pick!

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I bought my FNP45 Tactical very shortly before they released the FNX version.:confused: But it's an awesome gun. I bet the FNX will be great, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a FNX40 and love the gun. Have you ventured over to the FNH forum, its swarming with guys and their FNX45? Enjoy the pistol as it's a beast...Eric

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Please report back with your impressions after you shoot it. I have always wanted to try an FNX. Looks like they would be awesome.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Very nice. I was looking at FNH website. (I am a new shooter, bear with me). I have shot my friends 1911 so i have a very basic understanding of SA Vs DA. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in choosing between a weapon that is Striker vs Hammer. I see they produce both?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Congrats! They are excellent and well made pistols. Please post some pics so the rest of us can exercise "gun-lust"!!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
You're going to really like that gun. I have an FNX45T and it's the best home defense handgun I can imagine. 15+1 of .45ACP, night sights, rail for a light, and the most versatile safety system on any gun I know of. I have mine in the bed side safe decocked to put the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Nothing to remember, pick it up and it's ready to go.

That said, the thing is huge on my 5'-8" 158 lb body. I think I could hide a mail box easier - okay, I'm exaggerating but not much. It's thick, tall, and heavy. Too much of all of those for me to consider packing it. But for home defense, it's dead solid perfect.

Fitch
If you think that gun is big to you, imagine how much bigger it would seem with you standing behind it aiming at a BG. It would probably look MONSTEROUS to them!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Need to get my real camera out and take some pics, but here's a couple from my phone. Overall the gun seems surprisingly lightweight for its size (though a mag with 15 rounds of 230gr fmj weighs more than my XDs loaded) and conceals better than I expected just using an Uncle Mike's IWB holster I had in a drawer. Takes some planning in the wardrobe department but it can be done--and with a decent holster this may become a carry gun instead of just a nightstand piece!

Taking it to the range on Thursday, I have several ammo types to feed it from Remmington target to cheap imported dirty Russian ammo to some JHP. Will post a report and some more pics later.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TapTalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice. I was looking at FNH website. (I am a new shooter, bear with me). I have shot my friends 1911 so i have a very basic understanding of SA Vs DA. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in choosing between a weapon that is Striker vs Hammer. I see they produce both?
It's really a matter of preference for the shooter. My XDs is striker-fired, my FNX is DA/SA. In SA (which means the hammer is already cocked), the trigger pull is short and very light, meaning better accuracy. In DA (hammer down, so pulling the trigger both cocks and releases the hammer) the trigger pull is much heavier, making it harder to keep target but also much better for a gun with no manual safety--much harder to fire without meaning to. A striker-fired gun is about halfway in between--lighter pull than DA trigger, heavier than a SA, but a consistent pull that is the same every time (unlike shooting a DA/SA gun that requires you to learn two trigger pulls.)

Classic examples--Glock popularized the striker-fired pistol (also think Springfield, S&W's M&P line), the 1911 is a classic SA and Sig Sauer, Beretta, HK etc make great DA/SA.

Every shooter finds what they like and for a multitude of reasons, and many will tell you that whatever they like is the best or the only right way. I like to think of them as different tools that are good for different purposes.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Forgot to mention another nice thing about the FN- the trigger is really superb.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally made it to the range a half hour before closing time. Got to put about a hundred and fifty rounds down range. More detailed report later, but first impressions: WOW! First magazine, about a two inch grouping at 25 feet. Second magazine, fifteen head shots (about a three inch grouping, firing a bit faster.) Third magazine, switched from FMJ to some Federal +P HST. Recoil still negligible and the gun still making me look good.

All in all, a fantastic gun that is an absolute joy to shoot. Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Finally made it to the range a half hour before closing time. Got to put about a hundred and fifty rounds down range. More detailed report later, but first impressions: WOW! First magazine, about a two inch grouping at 25 feet. Second magazine, fifteen head shots (about a three inch grouping, firing a bit faster.) Third magazine, switched from FMJ to some Federal +P HST. Recoil still negligible and the gun still making me look good.

All in all, a fantastic gun that is an absolute joy to shoot. Couldn't be happier!

Your experience mirrors mine. It really is a good gun. The trigger isn't close to as crisp as a 1911, but it holds twice as much ammo, is very pleasant to shoot and definitely accurate enough to be minute of bad guy, lots of bad guys at expected home invader distances.

Fitch

·
Registered
427 Posts

What was your post panic cost??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts