Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work 22 miles from home and have to cross 2 rivers. I've mapped 4 alternative routes in addition to my primary route in case I have to walk home all or part of the way. My GHB is stocked for 5 days with the usual gear for various contingencies. I currently carry either my Sig P220 or Bersa Thunder Pro, both .45. Opinions about changing the .45 and going with a .22 LR in 1911 platform?

Currently, the .22 is at home for my wife in case she needs it (rate of fire and recoil). Buying another is not an option and I don't think she can safely operate a large caliber pistol. She's disabled and can't go to the range very often. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Yeah why?

Frankly a single stack pistol would not be my choice for a GHB ..Something with a min 12 or 15 rounds ... But a though ..Get the 22lr conversion kit for the sig 220 so you will have both options ....

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
.....Opinions about changing the .45 and going with a .22 LR in 1911 platform? .....
Sniper58 ... Can't imagine personally making that change. What is your reasoning behind this consideration?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Not sure I understand you correctly.
Do you want to add the 22 to your bag? Leave the 22 for your wife at home.
Maybe add a couple of loaded spare mags to the bag, for both pistols instead.

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
If it's just 22 miles, the longest it's going to take you to get home is 24-48 hours, or 2 days max.

Your food reserves in you GHB should get you thru that, so foraging is not an issue, so for me that would rule out the 22 pistol.
However, I would want something with capacity, and rugged build to withstand hostile environments, such as you mentioned, river crossing.

The Glock pistols are all I would consider, based on my testing and use of them for such purposes, although there are plenty of others that might be as durable.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why she can't get range time? Bad leg...she can't walk on uneven terrain and can't have her leg in direct sunlight. Plus our closest public range has been permanently closed.

Why even consider this? Utility. I agree a double stack would be better than single stack. I reload and am exclusively. 45 and have a pretty good inventory. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a 9mm or .40. Not sure I am ready for a wholesale change at this time and can't afford to either.

I figure my maximum walk home, worst case is 4 days. Our terrain varies from mild grades to steep slopes and we're usually wet (rain, heavy dew, runoff or snow). There are 2 likely choke points regardless of which route I take - both populated with Libs and meth heads. We are in the part of northeast Ohio where terrain gets interesting.

The main reason for even considering this is over thinking things. I'd do a lot of things differently if I had to start over. Right now, that option is off the table.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Huh? So you take the .22 instead of the .45, leaving your wife with nothing ("can't operate a large caliber pistol") ("in case she needs it")?
And that leaves you with a single stack .22 for a potential 4 day trek through potentially hostile terrain?
I ask again: why? :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
Huh? So you take the .22 instead of the .45, leaving your wife with nothing ("can't operate a large caliber pistol") ("in case she needs it")?
And that leaves you with a single stack .22 for a potential 4 day trek through potentially hostile terrain?
I ask again: why? :icon_neutral:
He has done nothing yet, that's why he is asking opinions.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2nd attempt. I get it...she does need something and the .22 makes the most sense. I may have a buyer for my whole Sig P220 outfit (holsters, pistol, mags and some ammo). I could replace it with a Sig P320 in 9mm or .40 S&W and get new dies, mags, ammo and holsters and just about break even. The .22 stays home. Sometimes I need feedback to right the ship. Thanks to all!

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
2nd attempt. I get it...she does need something and the .22 makes the most sense. I may have a buyer for my whole Sig P220 outfit (holsters, pistol, mags and some ammo). I could replace it with a Sig P320 in 9mm or .40 S&W and get new dies, mags, ammo and holsters and just about break even. The .22 stays home. Sometimes I need feedback to right the ship. Thanks to all!
you bet!
but ouch, it hurts just to think of letting go of a P220, such a great shooter! :smile:

·
Registered
671 Posts
... I may have a buyer for my whole Sig P220 outfit (holsters, pistol, mags and some ammo). I could replace it with a Sig P320 in 9mm or .40 S&W and get new dies, mags, ammo and holsters and just about break even. ...
The "modular" SIG P320 seems to be a hot item at the moment, and certainly is innovative. But, personally, I wouldn't trade my P220 .45ACP for two of them. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Why not keep the Sig, and pick up a cheaper 22? Something like the single shot Chiappa Badger. Cheap, effective, light, and breaks down to fit in a pack.

The conversion kit for the Sig isn't a bad idea either. I have one for my 226, and it's plenty accurate and reliable for small game hunting if you're a good shot. All you would have to do is swap the slide and magazine. It's an aluminum slide, so you won't be adding much weight. Sig regularly runs sales on those kits and mags, plus hey can be found on Ebay for a deal too.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I wouldn't change a thing until finances let me do what I wanted to do. Sounds like you feel she needs something bigger then 22. Save up some money.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been thinking about changing primary platforms for a while. I love the P220 but miss the capacity of a 9mm. Ivery looked at a LOT or alternatives from Glock, Walther, S&W, FN et al and keep coming back to the P320c in 9mm. Dunno...all hinges on whether or not my buddy can buy my P220 package. It'll happen if it's meant to be.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I fail to grasp the supposed vast superiority of the P320 over the P226/P220/P229 platforms. Keep the P220, and let others play Barbie with P320. I guess selling the P220 and putting the funds towards a good P226 for a high cap 9mm would also work.

For the record, I think a Makarov makes a great GHB gun, but that's just me...

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
KEEP what you currently have. If you're that concerned about your Wife's safety, you can always ADD a Ruger 1022 Takedown rifle and have a couple 50 round mags available to her. Buying a P320 and then adding caliber change kits give you ONE pistol..... The price of the X Change kit is almost the price of another gun. Thus I'd rather have another gun available to me, instead of just the same one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
When I want to carry a 45, I've got an M&P. 10 rounds and put a couple 14 round mags in the ghb. Pretty close to the bersa value as well so shouldn't take a lite to change platforms. I've got the midsize and it's about the same size as my P320

1 - 20 of 23 Posts