Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the current thinking and what do people have at the ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Shotgun Lol

If you only have the choice of a rifle or handgun it would depend on the rifle caliber and the house. I live in the sticks no neighbors and no children in the house. I'd be comfortable with my AR and some expanding ammunition. If your house is in a suburb with lots of neighbors and your super worried about over penetration then go for the handgun. But there is plenty of rifle ammo for decreased penetration.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I do keep my 38 super on the night stand when I go to bed it goes there to. This is just in case I don't have time to get the shotgun in the corner.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
What's the current thinking and what do people have at the ready?

We are pistol people. A P226 Elite in 9mm loaded with 21rds of 124gr +P HST's, and a P230 for her loaded with Hornady American Gunner.

Reactions: philly01

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
lots of issues go against the use of a rifle inside the home. Fighting is generally very chaotic, the last thing I would want is for someone to get a hold of 16 inches of barrel and mop the floor with me. Its even worse if you are using a sling. As a general rule, its much easier to retain control over a pistol in such circumstances. If badguys were kicking in my back door, I would likely grab my shotgun. If I awake to a bump in the night, Ill grab a pistol. It all depends on what level of control I have to begin with, what is known, unknown and how much movement is required. I have a 20ga and a large bore revolver for HD.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I keep a handgun on the night stand...Usually my 686+ stoked with Gold Dots.

I live in a neighborhood so the idea of banging away with my AK seems...irresponsible? Not sure if thats the right word but I sure dont want to hurt a neighbor with a high powered rifle round thru walls etc.

I did pick up a few boxes of the V-Max varmint rounds for my AR the last time I saw them on sale...I keep several mags loaded with those in my AR bag. My thinking being that those rounds would obviously do a number on an intruder but would not travel through walls / doors / etc like a FMJ round. I keep the rifle nearby, but the revolver is my pick it up and pull the trigger home defense gun.

At the end of the day, if the 7 rounds from my .357 magnum don't convince an intruder that they picked the wrong house, I'm probably in trouble anyway.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shotgun Lol

If you only have the choice of a rifle or handgun it would depend on the rifle caliber and the house. I live in the sticks no neighbors and no children in the house. I'd be comfortable with my AR and some expanding ammunition. If your house is in a suburb with lots of neighbors and your super worried about over penetration then go for the handgun. But there is plenty of rifle ammo for decreased penetration.
Actually 223 rounds will penetrate less than pistol caliber rounds (45,40,9). Light bullets tend to fragment when hitting barriers.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Shotgun Lol

Actually 223 rounds will penetrate less than pistol caliber rounds (45,40,9). Light bullets tend to fragment when hitting barriers.

This is true depending on the cartridge 223 yes with proper ammunition there is very little risk of injuring someone outside. The reason I stated mine as I did someone with fmj 308 is going to have considerably more penetration. Which is why I stated I'd feel perfectly comfortable indoors with my AR. It's loaded with 55 gr GMX and it's the round and weapon I use for patrol in an urban environment. One of the reasons there has been a transition to 223 over 9mm in patrol rifles is the 9mm will go through more barriers then 223 not what you want in urban law enforcment. I wouldn't recommend 193 or 855 for indoors but vmax, tap, speed gold dot or federal tru would all be excellent home defense rounds.

Which is why I stated there is plenty of ammunition in various calibers that will be fine for indoor use. The now make TAP in 308 which I would feel comfortable with though it wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
You really dont want to know my answer ..It may or may not involve class 3 stuff .....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You really dont want to know my answer ..It may or may not involve class 3 stuff .....
Nothing wrong with that my Rifle if I use it is too. One of the reasons I don't consider it my main HD weapon is it's in my squad car if I'm in it. So if she's home alone it's a shotgun which is why a shotgun resides in the bedroom. Though the 16 is handy i don't consider it my main HD weapon.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Nothing wrong with that my Rifle if I use it is too. One of the reasons I don't consider it my main HD weapon is it's in my squad car if I'm in it. So if she's home alone it's a shotgun which is why a shotgun resides in the bedroom. Though the 16 is handy i don't consider it my main HD weapon.
Oh I dont mean a SBR or such ..Something a little more Miami vice 1980 ...... Though it would be a last ditch as I dont want to see it go into evidence ..... Normal I would go for a PGO 14inch shotgun ( Other class gun ) or a double stack or maybe a 44 or 41 mag

·
Registered
125 Posts
lots of issues go against the use of a rifle inside the home. Fighting is generally very chaotic, the last thing I would want is for someone to get a hold of 16 inches of barrel and mop the floor with me. Its even worse if you are using a sling. As a general rule, its much easier to retain control over a pistol in such circumstances. If badguys were kicking in my back door, I would likely grab my shotgun. If I awake to a bump in the night, Ill grab a pistol. It all depends on what level of control I have to begin with, what is known, unknown and how much movement is required. I have a 20ga and a large bore revolver for HD.
Pretty much on the same page/thought process...
20ga and revolver at the ready

Reactions: Fizban

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My carry Snub of the day is on the night stand and my riot gun is in the closet. If the alarm goes off, the guns come out.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My choice of carry which is normally my BT380 on the night stand and another BT380, with one in the tube & safety off under my pillow between the the wife and I. For safety, it's in an old leather swivel holster, that covers the trigger housing, that I modified to into a gun "sock". I have on rare occasions, elections and rumored social unrest, leaned the M1 carbine I against the wall between the headboard and the nightstand but a hand gun is easier to get to in the middle of the night.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts