Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
So my wife and i moved to NY last fall due to work, and I was wondering if its easier to get a regular Pistol Permit here vs getting a CCP.
Anyone here done that? Then upgraded to a CCP after they got there Pistol Permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Every county in New York is going to be different. In some it will be impossible, or nearly impossible, to get an unrestricted carry permit and difficult to get even a possession/premises permit. However, a possession/premises permit is almost always going to be easier to get than even the most restricted carry permit.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Quite a step back from VT, where carry is completely unrestricted. Those progressives don't know how constitutional they are. ;)

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
NY good luck (If it's NYC, you might as well turn your firearms in. Your already a felon just having them there !)

Reactions: Michael_Js

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was born on and grew up on Long Island. I got my pistol permit in the early eighties. I know it was a long time ago but I haven't been back since 89 and you can bet it's know easier now. It took me almost a year and a half to get. It was next to impossible to get a carry permit. You had to show cause. And I don't mean I'm afraid I'm going to get robed so I want to carry a handgun for protection. You had to really show cause like regular trips to the bank with the receipt from a cash business. Oh yah you almost always had to. E a business owner. What I did was get a pistol permit for target and hunting. You had to be a member of a certified pistol club. You had to have I believe 3 personal references. Non relatives, no law enforcement ( which I never understood) all your typical stuff finger prints, background checks, etc. They talked to all your surrounding neighbors. It was no good in the city or the 5 boroughs. And it expired every 2 years if I remember correctly. Don't forget it was over 25 years ago and I'm going off memory. Here's were I found a loophole in as far as carrying all the time. I was allowed to carry coming or going to my gun glob/range. The gun club I was a member of was owned and run by the Freeport police department and was a key club. It was basically open 24 hours a day so at anytime of the day or night I could have been coming or going to my range/gun club so I carried all the time. If I was going hunting upstate, while traveling, the handgun had to be in the car not on my person and it had to be a 2 part move. Oh I almost forgot New York dose not allow possession or ownership of a handgun without a permit. When I moved to upstate NY it became a lot easier once I presented the county judge three references he issued my carry permit. Every county is different as to weather it not they issued carry permits. This was a long time ago hopefully someone can give you some more recent information. I hope what I do remember will at least be a little useful. Good luck with your permit and welcome to forum. Oh yah boy I'm I glad I've spent the last 28 years in Florida and then Virginia. Virginia is great be a resident walk into your lgs buy a gun. After you are a resident for 30 days take the safety class, give the county clerks office $50 and as long as you can legally own a gun in about 45 days or less you'll have your carry permit.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Hi the permit issued will depend on the judge for the county your living in , for example the county I'm in has no restrictions with the curent judge , I have a friend in the next county his permit has a restriction, his states hunting-target practice only , with that being said he can not conceal carry ,

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
My SIL has a CCL in Dutchess Co. and she's a beginner..............go figure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As oreviously said, getting a ccw depends on your judge and what counry you live in. The further away you are from NYC, the better. I'm in Orange and it took me 24 months to get my ccw.
6 months for my restricted permit and 18 months to get my ccw.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi the permit issued will depend on the judge for the county your living in , for example the county I'm in has no restrictions with the curent judge , I have a friend in the next county his permit has a restriction, his states hunting-target practice only , with that being said he can not conceal carry ,
As oreviously said, getting a ccw depends on your judge and what counry you live in. The further away you are from NYC, the better. I'm in Orange and it took me 24 months to get my ccw.
6 months for my restricted permit and 18 months to get my ccw.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Realized things could have changed over the years, but when I lived there, there were some counties where the County Police (Nassau and Suffolk) or Sheriff's Office (Ulster) issued the permits.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I know not of this "Pistol Permit" thing that you speak ...

A permit just to own a pistol? Completely foreign to me. That must be one heck of a job after ALL NY taxes, cost of living, & loss of liberty to still be worth it.

[spookywhispervoice] "GET OUT!!!" [/spookywhispervoice]

·
Registered
49 Posts
In NY there is only 1 permit or license to carry . There is no open carry in NY with 2 exceptions . your pistol may be carried in open sight when actively hunting or target shooting.At all other times it must be out of sight. You can carry your firearm without breaking any laws with a restricted permit. The restrictions are administrative only. Your permit was issued by the STATE OF NY. Not the town you live in.That is why your permit is honored throughout the state,except NY City. If you are stopped while carrying with a restricted permit it will be up to the officers discretion to report you to the judge that restricted you.who then may revoke your permit. The whole thing is stupid and unfair but that's NYS. You will be scrutinized and checked to a point where speeding tickets could get you rejected. in my case it took 15 months to get a permit and I didn't have even a ticket on my record. Restricted of course . But that's what you get with lib democrats in charge. I do carry on occasion and I am willing to take the consequences, but I refuse to be a victim. You didn't mention in NY where you live . each county's judges are different , Urban county's restricted is the norm,even tho they are the most dangerous .Rural county's ,much easier to get unrestricted .And of course if you have any kind of influence ,political or other , it's no problem anywhere in the state .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Living on the border of NY in the free state of PA is a pain . Can't carry across state line . If you forget to remove your EDC , you are screwed .

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello all.
So my wife and i moved to NY last fall due to work, and I was wondering if its easier to get a regular Pistol Permit here vs getting a CCP.
Anyone here done that? Then upgraded to a CCP after they got there Pistol Permit?

I'm and LEO in NY. If you move towards the upper part of NYS you will have a better chance of getting an unrestricted permit. The further south you get the more restricted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Saratoga county and work at Glens Falls Hospital in Warren county. I heard getting a standard pistol permit (no conceal carry, when transporting it must be unloaded and locked in a case away from ammo) is easier then getting a CCP. Is that true? I don't need a CCP right off, I avoid sketchy areas and only really care to carry when I am hunting/hiking. I've had a close encounter with a bear while hiking unarmed so I like to take precautions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A premises permit will always be relatively easier to get than any carry permit, and a restricted (to and from range and hunting where legal) carry permit is going to be relatively easier to get than an unrestricted one. Getting an unrestricted carry may not even be possible in some counties. A restricted carry can be used for hunting, assuming you also have a valid hunting license, but you may be crossing a line by carrying while hiking as many places where you can hike don't allow hunting. From what I remember, Saratoga is one of the more "lib" upstate counties, so getting even a restricted carry may be time consuming.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I live in Saratoga county and work at Glens Falls Hospital in Warren county. I heard getting a standard pistol permit (no conceal carry, when transporting it must be unloaded and locked in a case away from ammo) is easier then getting a CCP. Is that true? I don't need a CCP right off, I avoid sketchy areas and only really care to carry when I am hunting/hiking. I've had a close encounter with a bear while hiking unarmed so I like to take precautions.

The county clerk in the county you live in will be able to answer all your questions about any restrictions you make have , the county clerk is where you pick up the pistol permit packet , the county clerk works directly with the county judge/sheriff office , very knowledgeable, hope fully.

·
Registered
982 Posts

Here's the problem.. Unless you are hunting IN SEASON with that pistol, you cannot protect yourself with it while hiking. You would be out of compliance, and although you would not go to jail, your pistol permit would be revoked.. Only with an unrestricted permit can you carry a loaded handgun on your person for protection.
The restricted hunting/target permit allows you to buy a handgun or ammo in NY.. However, the ONLY time you can have it in your hand, loaded, ready to fire, is at a range, or while actively hunting with it. In your car, it has to be locked away where you can't access from inside the car, with the ammo in a separate place, away from the firearm.
You CANNOT have a loaded OR unloaded handgun on your person with a restricted permit, even if you are in the bear country up in the Adirondacks.. You would lose your permit if caught.. You can apply for an unrestricted permit, but to be honest, good luck.. Sorry for the bad news.. Like the rest of us that live here, you moved to the WRONG state if you want to carry a pistol... bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Here's the problem.. Unless you are hunting IN SEASON with that pistol, you cannot protect yourself with it while hiking. You would be out of compliance, and although you would not go to jail, your pistol permit would be revoked.. Only with an unrestricted permit can you carry a loaded handgun on your person for protection.
The restricted hunting/target permit allows you to buy a handgun or ammo in NY.. However, the ONLY time you can have it in your hand, loaded, ready to fire, is at a range, or while actively hunting with it. In your car, it has to be locked away where you can't access from inside the car, with the ammo in a separate place, away from the firearm.
You CANNOT have a loaded OR unloaded handgun on your person with a restricted permit, even if you are in the bear country up in the Adirondacks.. You would lose your permit if caught.. You can apply for an unrestricted permit, but to be honest, good luck.. Sorry for the bad news.. Like the rest of us that live here, you moved to the WRONG state if you want to carry a pistol... bob
I moved from VT which has no restrictions or permits, is the easiest place to carry, literally anyone with a clean record (no felony charges) can go to the gun shop and buy a pistol and walk out with it 5 minutes later. And open or conceal carry without a permit without any issues. Ive heard Saratoga county isn't to bad though. I can see Washington county from my window and the sheriff and judge over there ive heard are very pro 2nd and its very easy to get a CCP there. Funny thing it was up in Keene Valley at the base of Giant Mountain where i had my close call. Mama with 2 cubs popped out about 15 feet in front of me. Mama wasn't happy i was that close...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I moved from VT which has no restrictions or permits, is the easiest place to carry, literally anyone with a clean record (no felony charges) can go to the gun shop and buy a pistol and walk out with it 5 minutes later. And open or conceal carry without a permit without any issues. Ive heard Saratoga county isn't to bad though. I can see Washington county from my window and the sheriff and judge over there ive heard are very pro 2nd and its very easy to get a CCP there. Funny thing it was up in Keene Valley at the base of Giant Mountain where i had my close call. Mama with 2 cubs popped out about 15 feet in front of me. Mama wasn't happy i was that close...

I wish you all the best luck.. You might do ok if you let the judge know you are alone in bear country, and need protection, and also if you work late nights, carry much cash etc.. Also, explaining that you were a pistol owner for many years in Vermont might help as well.. use any tool you can think of, and ask others what worked for them.. Also you will need several good personal referrals IN THE COUNTY where you are applying, along with letters to the judge from them, so hopefully that is in order as well.
You must write a letter to the judge explaining your need for an unrestricted permit.. IF you have a good 2A judge up there, he may grant it .. I hope so..
I got my unrestricted first try, but the judge in my county is notoriously pro 2a... I hope it goes the way you want, and please let us know how you make out.. Believe me, we DO care... bob

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not to dispute what has been posted here, just offering my experience that's all. I have been hiking, backpacking, and flying into the Adirondacks for 47 years multiple times every year. I have had my unrestricted pistol permit for 7 years now, prior to that I carried in the mountains with my restricted (target shoot & hunting) permit with no problems at all. I have met, on the trails and in my camps many Forest Rangers and ECO's who have never asked me for my permit, never. I do know one Forest Ranger personally and he has never asked me. Only once when I was at a trail Head putting on my backpack a State Trooper was driving by and he noticed my pistol in my shoulder holster on me. He made a U turn and asked for my permit, I showed it to him, it was restricted and my gun (Colt Diamondback 38 sp) was loaded. He checked the gun against my restricted permit, gave it all back to me and said have a nice day and be safe. My recommendations would be to get the restricted permit if you can't get the unrestricted one. Get a hunting liscense if you want, call the Forest Ranger and or the ECO of the areas you want to hike in and get the correct info from the correct people. Unless things have recently changed drastically I believe that you would be ok carrying while hiking. All the contact phone numbers are on the NYDEC web site or in the back of the hunting guide.:smile:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts