Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace all my red dot batteries annually, at my birthday, and nearly all are CR-2032 button batteries. This year I was one battery short and decided to see how long my EDC would last.

In my Shield RMSc the basic Energizer CR-2032 lasted just over 13 months before it quit.

Replaced it this morning, with a longer lasting lithium, now I need to hit the range to verify zero as battery replacement requires removing the sight. No biggie, it's two screws, and last time I replaced the battery it required no sight adjustment; it was exactly where it was before, or at least I couldn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If it runs out at 13 months I'd change it sooner than 12 months. Something like every 6 months. Your life could depend on that battery, no way I'd stretch its life that close to failure.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it runs out at 13 months I'd change it sooner than 12 months. Something like every 6 months. Your life could depend on that battery, no way I'd stretch its life that close to failure.
Great minds think alike... I added reminders in my calendar every 6 months when this one died so soon after the one year point for that very reason. A lot of folks only use these as range toys, so it may be ok to go a year for those uses, but I'd bring batteries along to swap if near the 1 year point.

Any 2032 I've ever seen has been lithium.
Yeah, saying lithium is a bit redundant... but I went with the longer shelf life version of the batteries (10 year) vs. cheaper ones that may not have quite the same lithium/manganese content or lesser quality control in manufacturing. Maybe that's just slick marketing on the packages, but the price difference wasn't dramatic. There are some brand-X and Amazon Basics ones that are less expensive, but I have to wonder how long they'd actually last.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
The RMSc gives plenty of advanced notice when the battery needs changed. So does the Leupold DeltaPoint. At least that has been my experience.

Reactions: graydude
1 - 5 of 5 Posts