Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a young child in the house securing of firearms is a priority. To allow quick access if/when needed I have been looking at the small pistol safes that have a fingerpad that looks like a hand for the combination. The local gun shops have gun vault, winchester and a few other brands I can't remember.

I am looking to get one that plugs in as well as has a battery. It will be in the same location that the pistol is normally stored at. If it will fit, I'd prefer to get one of the larger 2 level ones so I can store my CCW in one section and the home defense weapon in separate one. That way when I get home and disarm, its safe as well.

Any brand recommendations or ones to stay away from?
Experiences with this type of safe?

Yes I understand a criminal can walk in and potentially walk away with it. I am looking for a way to store the firearms safely with a child in the house while still keeping quick access possible not keep everyone away from them

Mods if this thread is not in the proper location please move it, thank you.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have two daughters, 4 and 2. I have a GunVault Multi-Vault and it's great for what you are looking for. It has battery backup and an AC adapter. I put my Glock and Kahr on the lower shelf side by side since they are compact. I put my pocket pistols on the top shelf.

In addition, you can buy a cable lock to secure the GunVault to something. I tie it around my bed frame. It's not going to keep a determined thief from either taking my my entire bed apart or cutting the cable with something, but I'm not as worried as that as my daughters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with the V-Line Top Draw Pistol Safe. You can find it all over, but the best price I found was $150 at Cabela's.

I wouldn't call it a safe as much as I would call it a pretty-strong, steel, pistol lock-box. Like most of these items, they aren't going to stop a determined criminal with tools. They will stop a curious child.

I have the large version and keep 2 handguns with a couple of extra mags/speed-loaders in it. It has a 5-button mechanical lock (no batteries or electricity required). You can bolt it to the floor or a piece of furniture, or buy a cable and lock it to something that way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went with the V-Line Top Draw Pistol Safe. You can find it all over, but the best price I found was $150 at Cabela's.

I wouldn't call it a safe as much as I would call it a pretty-strong, steel, pistol lock-box. Like most of these items, they aren't going to stop a determined criminal with tools. They will stop a curious child.

I have the large version and keep 2 handguns with a couple of extra mags/speed-loaders in it. It has a 5-button mechanical lock (no batteries or electricity required). You can bolt it to the floor or a piece of furniture, or buy a cable and lock it to something that way.
If they are "real thieves" they'll take the car. But they will stop tyhe guy who has a brick.

on a budget, secured to the seat mount with a 3/8" J hook.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got a Stack On Drawer Safe for christmas, electronic key pad without AC backup. It does have a key backup. I mounted it to the the top of a metal gun cabinet in my bedroom.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The larger two level gun vault delux... mine has worked great and I use it just as you are wanting to do...EDC goes on the top shelf and the home/bedtime pistol is always on the lower shelf... and im glad I got the larger sized one!

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I would get a Center of Mass safe and screw it down inside a drawer. I would get the key lock and wear the key around my neck.

Center Of Mass Central

1 - 9 of 9 Posts