Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sad. Bad owners having dogs they can't control.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Trying to shoot a fast moving animal that is attacking you, whether it be a dog or something else (i.e. wild hog), is probably going to be pretty difficult.

If you are lucky the sudden, loud noise of the discharge may do the trick.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Resident says, "It's really scary. I don't know what to think. I really think I'm going to be getting a gun to protect myself."

California authorities use helicopter in search for 4 pit bulls suspected of killing jogger | Fox News
That's all fine and dandy, as long as they spend the time and money to learn the gun and practice with it. If they think that just buying a gun and carrying it, without practice is going to save them, they have a big (and unpleasant) surprise awaiting them.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Send this to Feinstein and ask where were the police that were supposed to be protecting the citizenry!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Administrator
144,341 Posts
That's all fine and dandy, as long as they spend the time and money to learn the gun and practice with it. If they think that just buying a gun and carrying it, without practice is going to save them, they have a big (and unpleasant) surprise awaiting them.
I agree that these folks who are just buying a firearm and thinking that they are going to draw a firearm (probably from a waist pack) and stop/kill attacking Pit Bulls in mid-charge and then continue jogging unscathed...are somewhat delusional BUT, they certainly may be able to shoot dogs off of them Point Blank that have already made bite contact...since even Pit Bulls do not inflict one bite instant kills on human adults.

I think that even if I was completely untrained and in the process of being mauled/attacked and possibly killed by multiple vicious animals I would rather have a gun than not have one. :yup:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here in Florida it is 'Cool' to have a Pit bull. It's an image thing. Tough guys that are manly men strut around with their shirts off, tattoos and their pit bull.

There are many pit bulls in my neighborhood and the only dog problems and fights and bites have been by these monsters. I've lived here for a little over a year and have had at least a half dozen serious situations occur ALL were Pit Bulls attacking either people or other peoples dogs. No other breed has caused any trouble.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I would be on the lookout for ALL pit bulls, not just the tan ones.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
They really are if you train them right. This is a sad story of neglect and irresponsible owners. Heres my big guy hanging out with my niece

Sorry but I have a different opinion! Your dog is in the front yard and off a leash! My neighbor's pit bull was the same until it attacked me on my way to the mail boxes, lucky for it I was unarmed! It also came into our yard and attacked our pool service person! But as the Owner said to animal control it was a great pet!

You allow them to run free, off a leash then they're fair game! I'm now carrying when doing yard work!

Just My Not So Humble Opinion!

·
Super Moderator
24,781 Posts
Bad Owners = Bad Dogs

The Bully breeds just have their share of bad owners sadly enough.

After the fires in SoCal down by Miramar, coyotes attacked joggers too. Prey animals have this bad habit.........they chase prey.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tough guys that are manly men strut around with their shirts off, tattoos and their pit bull.
In my opinion, that's the cause right there. These guys want their dogs to be big, bad and mean. They think it's cool. The dogs do get that stereotype for a reason, unfortunately it's not because of the breed. They may be good at fighting and being mean but they were never originally bred for such purposes.

It's just like kids. I work at a place that rents out space for birthday parties. 9/10 times if there's a kid causing trouble you find that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

·
Administrator
144,341 Posts
One important thing to always keep in mind is that all animals are animals...and all dogs (not just Pit Bulls) can have certain things happen that will auto-trip that "animal trigger" and cause then to momentarily forget and revert back to being instinctive animals.

I once had a rescue setter that was completely docile/friendly great around kids. Great and friendly with kids and people. Kids could jump on him, pull his tail etc.
You could reach down take his food bowl away from him while he was eating...you could pet him while he was eating and push his food bowl away - BUT, if you put your head near his food bowl while he was eating...he would instinctively and instantly forget himself and revert and bite.

That was his particular ingrained trip trigger which likely dated way back to his early puppy years.

He had a unique trigger that was completely unknown to me (for years) until I was goofing around with him one day.

Wilder animals that are less domesticated than dogs even when seemingly "tame" can occasionally act even more erratically with very bad results.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Four large dogs of any breed working in concert on a target present a formidable challenge. I've had two pair up to come after me, previously. It wasn't any fun. Can't imagine how much more difficult four would be, and if each of those four were twice as strong as the ones that worked me over.

FYI, for those unfamiliar with the region: this incident occurred SE of Palmdale, out in the desert area, NE of the mountains separating the northern part of Los Angeles from the desert. A fairly low-populated, wilder area, with lots of wilderness, a lot less control over animals. Sure, it's technically within LA County, so the same ordinances apply to leashing your dog, etc. If they find the dogs and can identify the owners, I'm sure there will be a lot of questions asked of those owners.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.