Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the mayor of Pittsburgh got his way ... for now:

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/03/28/pittsburgh-city-council-approves-gun-control-bill/?fbclid=IwAR2BW2fvRbJbzwiYu0RO531Y38Rtm3XpditkKfB0sE0ay2QdJBcwBx96K94

"Pittsburgh City Council on Wednesday tentatively approved three gun-control bills that would ban the use of assault-style weapons and accessories in public places in the wake of October’s Tree of Life massacre in Squirrel Hill.

The measures, approved 6-3, also would allow the courts to remove firearms from those who pose an “extreme risk” to themselves or others.

Voting in favor, council President Bruce Kraus called the vote a matter of “moral courage.”"

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That will not fly - Mayors are not given the power to do away with Constitutional law.
Apparently, he thinks he was. What I'd like to see is that, once the law is challenged and thrown out as a violation of PA state law, all those who proposed the law and voted in favor of it, as well as anyone who decided to enforce this unconstitutional law, should be charged with violation of PA criminal statutes and then removed from office. But slick politicians like this are pretty much above the law.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
Local tax dollars at work.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess this latest escapade from the 'burgh makes me glad that I'm FROM Pittsburgh. (and no longer there). Then again, there's a large city near me that I could see trying this, with Mayor McBikeLane (nickname given him by the local conservative/libertarian radio host) in charge.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
How is this actually possible?

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.", article 1 section 21 of the PA. state Constitution.

Can someone explain to me how this actually works? Can they just IGNORE the state Constitution?

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
PA is a pre-emption State when it comes to firearms. No local or county government may enact a firearms law that conflicts with state law. There are several pro 2A organizations in PA, and I am sure the city council will be challenged and lose. I support the PA FOAC. It will likely organize resistance to this abusive action. The PAFOA is also likely to do the same.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
You think Pittsburgh is asking for a lawsuit?

Columbus filed one against the State of Ohio. Taxpayer dollars vs. taxpayer dollars:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/03/columbus-sues-ohio-for-protecting-second-amendment-rights/#axzz5jgu7UG1S

"The city of Columbus today filed a lawsuit against the state of Ohio to halt legislation enacted last year because it limits the ability municipalities have to enact local gun ordinances."

Municipalities in Ohio haven't been able to enact local gun ordinances since preemption was passed, with preemption upheld in 2010:

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-supreme-court-sides-gun-owners-upholds-ohios-preemption-law

1 - 15 of 15 Posts