Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all may have read, we have had two armed assaults on LEOs in the past month. The last one occured in a cafe, where people come to have coffee and relax. These attacks were unpredictable, unprovoked and random. It was a nightmare to be honest. Prayers and condolences to the families.

Most of us frequent cafes and restaurants. I am sure this isn't the end of such attacks. How would you react if someone walked into a place where you and maybe your friends/co-workers/family were just hanging out?

Have any of you trained or thought of being in a mindset of such a tense event? Has this recent incident made any of you rethink how and what you carry? Has it convinced you to think of wearing some kind of armor? Has it made you rethink the time you spend in cafes?

I would like to know your honest opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pay attention to your surroundings and try to have a plan of action. And be quick enough to think on the move when that plan begins to crumble around you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What ammodex said. I try to be situationaly aware and have an exit plan. I personally am not going to wear armor just to get a cup of coffee. But that's just me.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I live near Virginia Tech, and my wife was on the campus that morning. She also worked at the hospital near there when the inmate overpowered an officer in a bathroom and took his weapon, shot and killed a hospital security guard, escaped, and later shot and killed a police officer (I work with his partner's wife). The WalMart that we shop at an estranged boyfriend walked in and shot his former girlfriend (a walmart employee) in the head at point blank range and executed her right in front of the customer service desk at the front of the store. These are real events in places that I and my family frequent. Too close to home to ignore. They have absolutely changed my mindset and approach. I take nothing for granted and am situationally aware. Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility and it has made me more cautious and aware. I'm not paranoid or anything, but I am prudent.

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
:haha:You're being generous by saying "a little" over the top :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I watch where I/we sit, I watch everyone who comes into a restaurant, I cannot prevent someone from engaging in an attack, but I will be aware of its beginning. While some may be running and screaming, or just sitting and stunned, I will have planned an exit or a response.
I certainly hope I never have the opportunity to survive in such a scenario.:22a::ticking:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
In a case like the coffee shop in Lakewood, there would be very little one could do. Its over before it even registers in your head what just happened. The best thing you can do is what the above posters already stated. Pay attention and have an exit strategy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post that being aware is a part of cc'ing. If you're not then most of the time you might as well not carry. Get into the forced habit of sitting where you can see who comes in, exit strategy/path, and pay attention to those already there when you walk in. It's easy to do, and a prudent exercise, that no one else will take notice of.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wearing body armor is not "over the top"--it is a prudent precaution in our very violent world. You don't have to be in a high risk job or be a LEO to benefit from body armor. Stray rounds can come from anywhere, and having some kind of protection is a good thing. Body armor can also help reduce injury from an automobile accident. Since many of the active shooter mass murders have occurred in Gun Free Zones, you cannot depend on stopping an active shooter with your gun while in one--therefore, some form of passive protection is very important to have in a GFZ. Consider the plight of those who work in GFZs, such as military personnel (Ft. Hood, etc.) students of every age, (Columbine CO, Jonesboro AR, Stockton CA, the Amish schoolhouse, Virginia Tech, etc.) teachers and other employees of schools, civil service workers, hospital workers, etc. These people are at great risk when they are at work and school, since they are forbidden to exercise their right to self-defense. For these people especially, wearing body armor makes a lot of sense. But since we do not know the time, place or circumstances that we may be attacked, and since we will be reacting to an attack and will be behind the curve, attempting to "catch up" to what is happening, the potential for us to be shot is great--therefore, having taken some steps ahead of time to reduce the effect of such an attack would certainly be prudent. IMO if it makes sense for LEOs to wear them, then it makes sense for me to wear them. Buying body armor is definitely on my "to do" list!

I have altered my behavior as I have studied concealed carry and the art of self defense with a gun.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Short and sweet answer to this.

EVERYPLACE I decide to sit down and eat/drink at I see the layout of the place and remember exits and the "best"(thickest/strongest) cover locations closest to my position. May sound a bit weird, but Ive been in the middle of exchanged gunfire before, COVER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Rethink what I carry? NO .40 S&W and a total of 28 rounds of JHPs at all times.
Body armor? Only if I go to philly.... Seriously though no armor here, never thought about it either. (Although they DO make level II or IIA that can literally be ROLLED up its that thin and flexible)
Time I spend in those places? I go in get my things and leave, rarely is it that I ever really STAY in a cafe. Restaurants included, Of course I eat there, but I dont spend an hour after my meal sitting and talking
~Steve

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post that being aware is a part of cc'ing. If you're not then most of the time you might as well not carry. Get into the forced habit of sitting where you can see who comes in, exit strategy/path, and pay attention to those already there when you walk in. It's easy to do, and a prudent exercise, that no one else will take notice of.
YEP

I watch where I/we sit, I watch everyone who comes into a restaurant, I cannot prevent someone from engaging in an attack, but I will be aware of its beginning. While some may be running and screaming, or just sitting and stunned, I will have planned an exit or a response.
I certainly hope I never have the opportunity to survive in such a scenario.:22a::ticking:

What ret said,,, AS usual!

ya gotta be watching the doors and such;
?? Whos wearing a full length duster in the middle of july should be catching your attention, promptly

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think in ca you cant wear body armor. They really don't want you to protect yourself

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
its ok to wear body armor but it cant clash with your surgical mask and must not interfere with putting on your chemical suit or the function of your gas mask...and if your hummer isnt already armor plated you are well behind the safety curve...

get with the program people...its armegedon and you need to be prepared for survival at all costs...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Were the unfortunate LEOs who were gunned down in the cafe, were they wearing body armour? I would imagine they were. So since professionals were caught by surprise, I am not sure running out and buying body armour will solve the problem. No doubt it would help if the shooter doenst know you have it on but is it worth the daily hassle.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Learn immediate action. For personal protection, quickly move out of the kill box to cover at the first shot. It is that simple. However, if you don't have it fixed in your mind, you will remain motionless until you decide what to do. To practice, you can visualize yourself diving for cover at the first sound of gunfire. If you condition your mind, it will be more likely to react properly.

Be the person or group that blends in. Do not be an obvious armed person. Make sure very few if any people know you carry concealed. That should be enough. Remember, you don't have to be perfect. You just have to be a little more aware than those around you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I carry 275 Lbs on a 6'3" frame, have boxed, wrestled and taught Unarmed Self Defense for 15 years. I always have a pocket knife, usually have a pistol, carry a longgun when able and practice situational awareness. I'm not superman but I rarely have trouble.
There is absolutely nothing I can do to stop a determined assasin who randomly picks me as a target unless I have luck or G-d on my side.
Cops gotta learn to watch each others backs ALL THE TIME, there is no safe place anymore. Mainstreet USA is becoming more like a Prison Yard everyday.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
These attacks were unpredictable, unprovoked and random. It was a nightmare to be honest....

Most of us frequent cafes and restaurants. I am sure this isn't the end of such attacks.
It isn't the beginning either.

Ambush of police has been going on since the first cop had a badge pinned to his chest.
These two events were, for November, just the latest in a long and historically normal line of events.
Nothing new here but the date on the calendar.

Honestly these two events should not cause any of us, here at DC.com, to rethink anything as crimes of this sort have been ongoing all year as against LEO and citizens. As well we have been discussing them all year and for years prior in numerous threads as real world events. Sad and unfortunate as they _all_ are and have been.

Everything happens anywhere to anyone on any given day, including cops too.
Do not lose focus nor forget the above.

To criminals and the Devil, no one is special or exempt.

Latest cop ambush/opportunistic attack
December 2, 2009
Update: Baltimore animal control officer shot on job

Latest cop killed on the job
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009
Updated: December 4th, 2009 12:30 PM GMT-05:00
Alabama Officer Fatally Shot During Traffic Stop

Woman
POSTED: Saturday, December 5, 2009
UPDATED: 10:27 pm EST December 5, 2009
Pizza Delivery Woman Shot, Killed - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Child
POSTED: 7:47 am EST December 2, 2009
UPDATED: 7:58 am EST December 2, 2009
Baltimore Police: Boy, 9, Shot - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore

Open to the public average business
Posted on December 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Updated Thursday, Dec 3 at 11:08 PM
Police: Armed suspects get away with $20,000 cash in grocery store robbery | khou.com | Local News

Latest criminal conviction of a human animal
December 03, 2009, 1:33PM
15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape'
Today is December 7th and we have no way at all of knowing exactly what will come.
But I can guarantee this; As based on past results it is very much reasonable to expect more of same or similar today if not tomorrow.

- Janq

·
Registered
552 Posts
Living in NYC for part of the year I find that situational awareness is the best tool for survival. As far as cafes, restaurants and the transportation system the best thing to do is to have situational awareness. In restaurants and cafes I believe that the best place to sit is near a window [ not directly next to because that presents danger from the street] where you can see the entrance and most of the activity. The reason for being near the window is that it offers an escape. Many scoff at it as a Hollywood image but the human body can move at a speed with plenty of kinetic energy to go through a window. Though you will be a little cut up it is beater then being shot. Also in the case of suicide bombers it can offer an escape from the fires that occasionally develop form similer incidents.

Alex Hassin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts