Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Headed to Texas to pick up a friend at the airport in Houston.

I've read about Texas' laws on www.handgunlaw.us along with states I'll pass through.

So, things to look out for? Extra dangers?
Well I hear they have In and Out Burgers up in north Texas so you'll want to avoid that.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Time of day and which airport will have significant impact on the answers you get. Hobby and Bush might as well be on different planets depending on time of day and day of week etc.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Well, north of Downtown Houston, the Interstate 45 corridor tends to be quite high-crime, as far north as the FM 1960 area. (In Texas, FM = Farm To Market Road.) The Interstate 59 corridor, north of Downtown, is similarly bad, but gets better by the time one reaches the city of Humble. I would avoid fuel and snack stops, especially after dark, along these stretches of Interstates 45 and 69.

If the airport is HOU, Hobby Airport, well, the Interstate 45 corridor is similarly high-crime, south of Downtown, too, out to about the Hobby Airport area.

The TXDOT website can be useful, for checking for road closures.

Let us know more about your route, and plans, for more specifics. Houston’s sprawl is enormous.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Watch out for people in the road and people going really fast looking down at their phone. Driving here scares me to death so I stopped and don’t drive. Just be really careful.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rexster....that's the sort of info I was looking for.

George Bush International. Friend coming in from Japan.

I'll dive down from West Virginia, looking like by way of Arkansas right now.

I like to avoid large cities altogether, taking side roads if I can.

Also like to avoid toll booths, especially the no-teller kind that takes a pic that I don't get a bill for until after the late charge kicks in.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts

Also like to avoid toll booths, especially the no-teller kind that takes a pic that I don't get a bill for until after the late charge kicks in.
Come down hwy 59 from Texarkana, takes you right to the airport and no tolls.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

The last time I drove along US-59/I-69, from I-20, in NE Texas, construction sent me on some time-consuming, spooky night-time detours, away from the freeway. IIRC, there was not a direct ramp connection from I-20 to US-59/I-69, Hopefully, that has improved, since then. IIRC, it was 2018.

Memphis, TN is, of course, one of the USA’s most-dangerous cities.

Most map apps and map sites will enable route-planning to avoid tolls. I cannot think of any toll roads, in the Houston rea, that would be relevant, to someone using US-59/I-69 to reach IAH. Beltway 8 is a large loop, that surrounds the central Houston area, but there is no reason to use it, for an in-and-out trip. The Hardy Toll Road passes near IAH, but its very name should make it easy to avoid.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I always liked the signs along Texas highways, "Drive Friendly". Excellent advice, which is routinely ignored by Texas drivers more inclined to drive competitively.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Ehhhh I have literally driven all over the lower 48 and big city drivers are the same all over. Out in the less populated areas they tend to be more laid back no matter what state.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about Interstate 10 and coming into Houston from the east?

(I knew I should have kept my pilot's license up-to-date and bought my friend's airplane when I had the chance).

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
What about Interstate 10 and coming into Houston from the east?

(I knew I should have kept my pilot's license up-to-date and bought my friend's airplane when I had the chance).
It’s doable but a pain to get to the airport without a toll road.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts