Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant carry yet but im already looking for a ccw. I have a big heavy 4506 S&W .45 right now. I don't even think i could conceal it. :frown:
I figured i would get another .45 so I don't have to stock up on 2 different kinds of ammo.
I'm a big guy with big hands and figured a glock 30 would be good but i have no experience with anything other than my .45 a 1911 and a glock 23.
What kind of gun do yall recommend?
Thanks for the help. :wave:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
larabel,

Prepare to get the phone book of handguns. Every one has their opinion of the perfect carry piece. The best thing you can do is find a range that rents guns and try a few different ones. What works for one of us may not for you.

Depending on your budget, you have an enormous amount of very good guns to choose from. Try as many as you can. Find what shoots best for you and is the easiest to operate. That may not be the smallest and easiest to conceal.

Anything can be carried. It just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. There are folks who regularly carry full-size service pistols effectively concealed. If you like your 4506 or 1911, think of ways to dress around it to conceal. That G23 is no slouch either.

Maybe a new gun is not the answer, but, rather a new way of carrying. Just a thought there. I would never tell anybody to NOT buy a new gun! -lol!

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you checked out a Colt Defender? I spotted one at a gun show a while back and fell in love with it. But didn't have the cash to buy it. I'll get one eventually. But if you're looking for a small semi-auto in .45ACP, at least check it out. Your big hands might make the Defender too small.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a Glock. You might also consider the Smith M&P in
.45acp or a Springfield XD in .45acp.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The Glock 30 or 36 would be an excellent option. I however like the added capacity of the 30, and the fact that it has a rail for a light if necessary for HD.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you're remotely interested in a Glock 30, go for it. I love mine. And compared to you, I'm a little guy - 5'11" and 170lbs. It conceals nicely with the right holster.

al

·
Registered
332 Posts
Where is Watson, LA compared to the Shreveport area? If you are close to me, then I may be able to line up a few weapons for you to try.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
larabel,

Prepare to get the phone book of handguns. Every one has their opinion of the perfect carry piece. The best thing you can do is find a range that rents guns and try a few different ones. What works for one of us may not for you.

Depending on your budget, you have an enormous amount of very good guns to choose from. Try as many as you can. Find what shoots best for you and is the easiest to operate. That may not be the smallest and easiest to conceal.

Anything can be carried. It just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. There are folks who regularly carry full-size service pistols effectively concealed. If you like your 4506 or 1911, think of ways to dress around it to conceal. That G23 is no slouch either.

Maybe a new gun is not the answer, but, rather a new way of carrying. Just a thought there. I would never tell anybody to NOT buy a new gun! -lol!
+1. This is the advice you SHOULD hear over and over.:congrats:

My only aside is to seriously consider whether .45 is the only place to be. If you're going to change carry guns, and it will be your usual piece, then maybe a different caliber is at least worth considering. I'm not disparaging .45, not saying you should abandon it or that it is not an excellent round, just saying if you're looking at a new EDC that you might consider opening the door wide.

As a mea culpa I carry an XD9sc, so I have that puny and worthless 9mm round keeping me safe. :embarassed:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
There is some good advice here. Find a manual of arms that YOU like, a gun that fits YOUR hand, and a gun that is reliable, accurate, and good quality.

For ME, the best/perfect fit is the Sig P220R. Try to find and shoot as many guns as you can, it will help you decide what you like and what you don't.

Read reviews on guns, granted, they are generally biased, and varying. You will find out which guns have more problems than others, and what to avoid.

Again, shoot as many as you can. It's good help finding which is best for you, and it's a lot of fun!

Good luck, Sigmanluke

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is Watson, LA compared to the Shreveport area? If you are close to me, then I may be able to line up a few weapons for you to try.
WOw thanks for all the replies. This place is great. :bier:
Its all the way by baton rouge. :frown: That would be cool though. I'm 20 right now so i can't even buy it yet. I could buy the 23 though from my dad...
I like the glock 23 alot but I dont know. I need to go handle some guns. Might go shoot the 23 today and see if its the right size for me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you can deal with the weight, the 1911 is very easy to conceal in the proper holster, and it's not clear whether or not you actually own a Glock 23 (you said you had experience with it) If you do own the 23, you need go NO further.

I have a 1911, Glock 30 and Glock 36 .....I am currently carrying a Ruger P345 (also 45 ACP) and loving it! You may want to check one out....very thin, 4.25" barrel, light weight polymer frame, and will shoot the eyes out of a rat at 50 yds.......well, I might be getting a little carried away! But, I do love the gun! It is also single action/double action with a de-cocking safety.

·
Registered
38,120 Posts
Take most reviews with a grain of salt. The worst are the gun mags, in my experience. They seldom criticize a gun maker who buys ad space. Many personal reviews are biased also.

Having said that, I have a Glock 30. Perfect gun? not really. A good reliable gun? Sure. I can see room for improvement with any model. But the G30 came closer to what I wanted than other makes.

Shop around, see what fits your hand best, what make or model has the extra features you need, etc.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
No question...the Glock-36, just wrap your hand around one.:yup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The glock is my stepdads. I think im going to try to buy it from him. I like it alot. I probably could conceal my 4506 but it is still really heavy.
What do yall think about the compensated barrels on the glock? This one has one.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have 4 45's,RIA 1911compact 3.5",Springfield Armory 1911 5",Colt combat commander xse 4.25",and S&W M&P 45 compact.I'm 5'8" 185 and can conceal every one of those guns,A good belt and holster,I like my holsters with around a 20 to 30 degree forward cant.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The Compensated barrels are not as popular for a reason. They are really intended mainly for target and competition shooting and will mess up your night visoin, if fired in low light. Any gun will but now youjust do it with more ports for the hot flamed gas to eject from. I would go with the regular. I EDC a 23 everyday and love it. Perfect size balance between capacity and power.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
The Compensated barrels are not as popular for a reason. They are really intended mainly for target and competition shooting and will mess up your night vision, if fired in low light. Any gun will but now you just do it with more ports for the hot flamed gas to eject from. I would go with the regular. I EDC a 23 everyday and love it. Perfect size balance between capacity and power.

Not only the gasses, but shavings of jackets, and other shrapnel. In the academy, there was a guy with a ported Glock 22. He took shrapnel to the face more than once.

Also, if you have to shoot from the hip, those ports are generally pointed straight up at your face. There is a huge amount of energy coming out of those holes.

The idea behind ported barrels is to use the energy coming out of the ports to keep the muzzle down for faster follow up shots. In the academy, we all shot the ported Glock 22, and a regular Glock 22. NONE of us noticed ANY difference in muzzle flip.

IMO ported barrels are more of a danger/liability than anything.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The large smith 45's are heavy to carry but the payoff is in the lower recoil. I carry a slim 9mm because I thought I couldn't conceal a larger gun. Wrong! I can and you can. I have begun to carry more and more a light weight full size 1911 45, 32oz unloaded and 39 or so loaded, plus extra mag plus BUG. I don't know what your smith weighs but i would guess 40 oz unloaded (maybe more), but that is what a full size 1911 weighs (not lightweight frame) and many folks here carry that every day. Good holster and better belt and right attire will go a long way. My light guns are for the most discreet times.

I like glocks, they are reliable, and shoot well but they don't fit me as well as others, I have considered but not held a G36 which is a single stack. And the G26 is quite popular!

Carry around your house, sitting standing, normal activities and see how it goes with both, practice draw and shoot with both... you can get an inexpensive IWB holster at cheaperthandirt.com and see how it goes, then you can get the gun and accesories you want and like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its supposedly 40+oz. I have been shooting the 23 and i like it, it fits my hand, its not really heavy, but it does kick more than my .45 (since its soo light) I think im going to get it if he will sell it for around 350 or so. Its a 3rd gen glock i think and i don't have the money to blow for a new one. I'll carry my brick until i can afford a new one. :rolleyes:
Thanks alot on all yalls help.. :comeandgetsome::santaclaus:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts