Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked into a local general store (it is called Fred Meyers, sort of like a Target, but a notch more up scale) looking for a carabiner. I found one and then started looking around. What I discovered was gun cleaning supplies. :banana: Then I asked the clerk when they started carrying them. She said last June. Funny thing was, I checked last April (about a year ago) and there were none. Not only that, but they started stocking weapons. They had a small inventory of .22lr's, some shotguns and a bunch of decent pistols. Then another clerk, a lady in her late 20s/early 30s came up and we started talking. She open carries when she is at the park supervising her kids, open carries in the store when NOT on duty and conceal carries in the appendix position when appropriate. We had discussions about scaring other people away at the park, how open the store is to open carry in the store (some customers like it, some don't) etc, etc, etc. She has two ARs on order (Colt 6920s which according to her LGS should be in in September), carries XDs (ok, so she doesn't carry Glocks, I cut her some slack :image035:), her husband is a Iraq war vet who unfortunately was injured by an IED and suffers a brain injury with personality issues now :)frown:) We traded info about favorite gun stores, where to get ammo and I told her about the AR armorer's class I am working to set up. All in all, a great shopping day.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'll have to check out our local FM... thanks...

·
Registered
42,916 Posts
The Fred Myers I knew were more on the level of a K-Mart--back in the old days when K-Mart was the go-to place.

·
Registered
941 Posts
IIRC, Fred's in Alaska carried long guns and ammo, and not too long ago - I think they still do. The drug store did also - can't remember if it was Walgreen's or Rite-AID... their hours were good and I often stopped by in the AM or late PM to pick up ammo.

Of course, some of the best deals were at the base BX/PX gun store.

Wally world used to carry handguns also.

And back in the day, just about every hardware store carried firearms and ammo. Appropriate - where else would you go to buy tools?

Maybe all that will come back.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, the Fred Meyer's in Monroe,WA also carries all this stuff now to. They had everything but handguns, but last week when I went in to look at some fishing gear they had 2 display cases of new pistols! A bunch of kahr's, an xds and some 22lr 1911's from what I remember.

·
Registered
907 Posts
And back in the day, just about every hardware store carried firearms and ammo. Appropriate - where else would you go to buy tools?
And no background check BS, either. So long ago. (sigh)

Reactions: NH_Esau
1 - 8 of 8 Posts