Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Kel Tec PF9 Saturday but didn't get to test fire it till today. I must say, after all the warnings and opinions about how bad the recoil was, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was quite manageable. I'm 6'1", 225 lbs and had little to no difficulty hitting a silhouette target at 25 yards with one hand. I just loved the concealability and ease of carry of this super little gun. However, my Son who is 6' 3" and 240 lbs of muscle just hated it. He didn't like the recoil and found the gun too small to hold steady. Now he and I are built alike - except for the muscles. So I guess it just comes down to what your personal preferences are. After 50 rounds I did develop a little scrape on the first knuckle of my trigger finger but I certainly have no quams about carrying this gun for defense. No FTF's or FTE's, I think the gun is a winner.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome...

to the club !! Been carrying my PF-9 all summer long. It's lightweight concealabilty and potent cartridge make it an excellent CCW. Added a laser too!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's my EDC and contrary to what a lot of folks say, the recoil isn't unbearable. It's designed to be a concealed gun and is not a range gun and so it should be viewed that way. Amazingly concealable.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Just like the P-3AT, they are not fun range guns, but they are so easy to conceal and make a great BUG or EDC if you choose it for that.:danceban::danceban::danceban:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I agree, I love my PF-9. The "bad recoil" issue is way overhyped, as its really not that harsh. Concealability is great, especially in the summer when concealing a bigger gun under light clothing can be an issue. I do find myself carrying my 1911 more often the past few weeks, though, due to the cooler weather.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, I like mine for the conceal ability and reliability. Do a little fluff on the grip and trigger guard, get the sharp mold marks off and you'll like it better.
oldogy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Went to the range today and shot my PF9 and P3AT. Have carried PF9 pocket carry and ankle holster found it to large for me in summer heat. With fall coming on will start to carry PF9 once more. For now I carry P3AT, and really like both guns. Try this ar range if they will allow you, set three targets up at different spaces apart, and firing as fast as you can hit each target two times each. While nether Kel Tec pistol is a 1911 speed shooter they both can be shot very fast and accurately. Also try walking up on target while firing, again both KTs do this very well for me. I do not feel under gunned with ether KTs. Best part is they both shoot point of aim and go bang every time.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
My PF9 is one of my carry guns in summer (OWB or IWB) and winter (coat pocket carry). Perfect solution.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I agree, I love my PF-9. The "bad recoil" issue is way overhyped, as its really not that harsh.
I agree. The only other gun I hear these recoil horror stories about is the 642, and I think it's very manageable, too.

BTW, congrats on the new pistola... :congrats:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I love the concealability the PF9 has and also find this small frame 9mm to be an accurate little gun. I think many have exxagerated the recoil factor or are sensitive to recoil. I do not feel the recoil is bad at all. My 638 Smith & Wesson has more recoil than my PF9!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the best way to reduce percieved recoil, or muzzle flip, with the PF9 (and P3AT) is to install the "pinky rest" finger extension magazine base. I always kept the rest on my PF9, and normally on the P3AT unless I was carrying it in mt boot top. With the rest installed, even a two fingered grip makes both pistols much more controllable.

surv

·
Registered
345 Posts
"the best way to reduce percieved recoil, or muzzle flip, with the PF9 (and P3AT) is to install the "pinky rest" finger extension magazine base

That flip always caused the trigger guard to wack my trigger finger. The pinky rest probably would have helped lessen the bruise I got after twenty or more rounds.

Otherwise, I had no problems with my PF9...and it was a dream to carry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
to the club !! Been carrying my PF-9 all summer long. It's lightweight concealabilty and potent cartridge make it an excellent CCW. Added a laser too!

Shooter, what type of laser is that and how does it "activate". I really don't know much about lasers, but am interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I also just bought a PF-9 and put 75 rounds through it at my range. No issues, agree recoil not bad at all, and amazingly accurate for such a small lightweight gun.

Once I have enough rounds through it to be assured that it is reliable, it will become my pocket carry gun.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I like mine for the conceal ability and reliability. Do a little fluff on the grip and trigger guard, get the sharp mold marks off and you'll like it better.
oldogy
Yesterday I took a light sandpaper to the inside of the trigger guard and smothed down all those sharp mold marks. The gun feels better and it actually improved the looks to some degree. I can't wait to shoot it again, the only discomfort I experienced was a slight sore spot on the first knuckle of the trigger finger. This should relieve the problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one of these for summer carry as well but I'm not sure 9mm ball will do the job

What types of defensive rounds do you carry in your pf9's...

Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The PF9 takes 9mm Luger. It CAN handle +P, so you might want +P for your defensive rounds.

From the manual:
The PF-9 pistol is manufactured in 9mm Luger caliber. The caliber is stated on the right side of the grip, just under the slide. Use only this ammunition
and only if in compliance with SAAMI specifications. The PF-9 will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use.
I'm still learning about defensive rounds, so for now I'm just sticking with plain old hollowpoints.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking about getting one of these for summer carry as well but I'm not sure 9mm ball will do the job

Thanks for the review!
I carry 124 grain, Gold Dot, Hollow Points . . . same as I carry in my Sig P228. On a side note, I was browsing holster manufactures yesterday afternoon and came upon HBE Leather. Just by chance I viewed the holsters he had on hand for sale. I found a black leather and shark skin IWB for my PF9. I called Eric and he put it in the mail yesterday. Good stroke of luck.:danceban:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I carry 115 grain JHP +P Magtech Guardian Gold.

It CAN handle +P, so you might want +P for your defensive rounds.
Yep, "+P" loads are perfectly fine for carry purposes. They just dont want you shooting mag after mag after mag of "+P" ammo at the range.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like mine as well, recoil is not too bad, as stated it is not a range gun and after 50 rds its annoying, and after 100 it hurts my trigger finger. I carry 115 XTP's, the 124's jammed on me \, maybe it was the wide mouth gold dots, not sure, but the 115's go great. I carry it IWB.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts