Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Just a matter using the right bullet and load.

I have shot enough critters with 255gr cast bullets to know that a 10mm will not out perform them. A 255gr flat point cast bullet at 900fps from a .45acp will kill anything with at least equal efficiency of a 10mm.

I did misspeak...the trajectory of the .45acp is not the equal of the 10mm, but I was not really speaking to long range accuracy with my comment...but the killing power is...and you can believe that or not...entirely up to you.

If you think that the 10mm is superior...go forth in that belief.
It may work equally well for the "critters" that you are shooting with it, but they are still not equal. It may be comparable to some weaker 10mm loads, but not even close to a full power 10mm.

Reactions: Rockymonster

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
On a side note, that was awful. That individual has an IQ and ego problem.
Though it doesn't really matter, but I will never kill an animal unless it it absolutely unavoidable. I will go to great lengths to avoid a confrontation with critters. About the only thing I am aggressive about is venomous snakes in the back yard around the little kids. If I can't relocate the snake, or get someone to relocate it for me, it gets dispatched. Not usually with a gun though. Just me.

EDIT Forgot. @graydude Excellent looking rig.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
.45acp will do anything that 10mm will do...just never found a reason to own a 10. If Glock had not resurrected it...it would have been gone years and years ago. The ONLY reason it is still around is because of Glock.
I recently got my first 10 mm. Honestly, 45 and 10 are so close in performance it wasn't a caliber choice but rather a platform choice. Springfield offered the 10 mm in a full sized XDm OSP package, and it seemed ideal for my woods needs.

Around here we have black bears; neighbor just had one peeking in their sliding glass door a week ago. When I hunt here in the neighborhood (urban archery) I may cross paths with bears, coyotes, and angry raccoons. I may also run into methheads or gangs cooking poison in our suburban woods.

So a 15 round gun, plus 2 mags to balance it, in a new Nelson shoulder holster covers all those bases well.

Plus it's a fun gun to shoot.
100 yards:
I think this post is worth looking at AGAIN....WOW.....nice rig and great shooting! I’ve been looking at the Springfield 10mm as I already own a 9mm and 45ACP. Your setup is one I would strongly consider for myself. Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
OldChap...... Can you clarify something for me about the Glock 20? I had read elsewhere (everything thing on the Internet is true, right?) that the G20 does not have a fully supported chamber, and that shooting the hi-end power loads requires a different barrel for safety concerns. I’ve read that in several places. I am not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the different info that’s out there.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A totally unnecessary Moose kill because that moron wanted to flex is fear with his stupid Glock. Typical of idiots from the city who pretend they are woods people by blasting around on their asinine sleds.
I will tell you this, I have spent my entire working life in the woods and Moose use sled and cross country ski trails to get around easier than trudging through deep snow. I have sat there sometimes for 20 minutes on a sled and waited for them to move on but, this fool was in a hurry an killed this animal for nothing more than bravado. He should have been arrested for poaching and wasting meat as well. If you have no idea about the natural world you don't belong in it at all.
I didn't see that at all. I saw a guy with nowhere to go but forward with a belligerent animal in his path. An animal that attacked him. At that point killing became the right answer. The guy simply appeared to be video taping the encounter as to avoid any charges. He did quite a bit to get the moose to leave. After the mock charge I would have pulled my gun and shot it as it charged again. I would not have waited for there to be a third charge. The guy got lucky the moose backed off for whatever reason.

We have no clue as to why the guy was in a hurry. Nor do we know whether he returned to claim the carcass. I've only seen that video, so I don't have anything else to base anything on.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I didn't see that at all. I saw a guy with nowhere to go but forward with a belligerent animal in his path. An animal that attacked him. At that point killing became the right answer. The guy simply appeared to be video taping the encounter as to avoid any charges. He did quite a bit to get the moose to leave. After the mock charge I would have pulled my gun and shot it as it charged again. I would not have waited for there to be a third charge. The guy got lucky the moose backed off for whatever reason.

We have no clue as to why the guy was in a hurry. Nor do we know whether he returned to claim the carcass. I've only seen that video, so I don't have anything else to base anything on.
I believe he was fined for this screw up and someone cut the beginning tape so you don't see him harassing the animal with his sled way before it ever charged him. As far as I am concerned I would have been cheering if the Moose stomped him to death.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I recently got my first 10 mm. Honestly, 45 and 10 are so close in performance it wasn't a caliber choice but rather a platform choice. Springfield offered the 10 mm in a full sized XDm OSP package, and it seemed ideal for my woods needs.

Around here we have black bears; neighbor just had one peeking in their sliding glass door a week ago. When I hunt here in the neighborhood (urban archery) I may cross paths with bears, coyotes, and angry raccoons. I may also run into methheads or gangs cooking poison in our suburban woods.

So a 15 round gun, plus 2 mags to balance it, in a new Nelson shoulder holster covers all those bases well.

Plus it's a fun gun to shoot.
100 yards:
That Nelson rig is awesome. Good shooting too.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,810 Posts
OldChap...... Can you clarify something for me about the Glock 20? I had read elsewhere (everything thing on the Internet is true, right?) that the G20 does not have a fully supported chamber, and that shooting the hi-end power loads requires a different barrel for safety concerns. I’ve read that in several places. I am not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the different info that’s out there.

The major problem shooting a Glock or Colt Delta Elite without a fully supported barrel is reloading the brass. It has been referred to as a "Glock Smile". The brass has a smile shaped bulge where the unsupported area is at the bottom of the spent brass. I have no problem shooting the hottest factory 10mm ammo in a Glock since I don't reload. Some people go with a heavier recoil spring if they shoot a lot of very hot 10mm.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It may work equally well for the "critters" that you are shooting with it, but they are still not equal. It may be comparable to some weaker 10mm loads, but not even close to a full power 10mm.
Exactly what will the 10mm do with all of that extra power that you see on a ballistic chart?

Will it kill something deader than the .45...it certainly will not do it quicker.

There are only 2 advantages of a 10mm in field use...flatter trajectory and more round capacity.

A 255gr flat nose cast bullet at 900fps will shoot completely through a deer front to rear at ranges practical for carry friendly guns... it will do very well on bear, too.

The OP mentioned field use...in the field...other than trajectory...the .45acp will do anything the 10mm will with premium cast ammo. and do it just as well Sorry, if this flies in the face of what you think of the 2 rds...but in practical use, from practical carry guns...there is no discernible difference in the 2rds when using the right ammo.

But, as I said earlier...go forth in your belief.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey LC.....just saw your post on Sig Forum (10mm thread).....I am “Sourkraut” over there....appreciate all your insight!

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Exactly what will the 10mm do with all of that extra power that you see on a ballistic chart?

Will it kill something deader than the .45...it certainly will not do it quicker.

The only thing that it will do better is shoot flatter...that is the only thing.

The OP mentioned field use...in the field...other than trajectory...the .45acp will do anything the 10mm with premium cast ammo. and do it just as well Sorry, if this flies in the face of what you think of the 2 rds...but in practical use, from practical carry guns...there is no discernible difference in the 2rds when using the right ammo.

For me....I’d rather have more than less if I might be up against a bear....that’s my belief anyway.....

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
The problem with this info is that a lot of pertinent info is left out.

Such as bullet seating depth when using heavier than normal bullets with full power charges on weakened brass.....

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
That's your opinion.

If a moose charges me and has already struck me with its hooves, I think firing a warning shot, then using deadly force is perfectly reasonable.
Agree, Moose and Bison are jerks I didn't see the video but I have a rule humans before any animal.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,810 Posts
I enjoy reading threads where people vigorously defend their chosen caliber, gun manufacturer, gun style, gun size, etc. I have centerfire handguns that go from .25 ACP to .454 Casull and centerfire rifles that go from .223 to .50 Beowulf. They all have their place.

Where I live, I am just as likely to encounter a black bear, cougar, or coyote pack as I am bad people meaning harm to me while out walking my dogs. I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine because that is what I shoot best and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That Nelson rig is awesome. Good shooting too.
James does excellent work. I couldn't find a holster out there made for an XDm-10 with both a red dot and light, and he figured out how.

Since I walk to/from my tree stands in the dark, a light on a woods gun may be very helpful. Open carrying in a shoulder holster that doesn't interfere with shooting a bow is ideal for me.

I could have done this with another platform in either 10 or 45, but my family is familiar and comfortable with the XD series, so there's no confusion or much learning curve if someone else needs to borrow it. The XDm-10 is the only gun I've been an early adopter of, and it's been flawless in over 500 rounds so far. I'm confident it will go bang if I need it to.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts

There are only 2 advantages of a 10mm in field use...flatter trajectory and more round capacity.

A 255gr flat nose cast bullet at 900fps will shoot completely through a deer front to rear at ranges practical for carry friendly guns... it will do very well on bear, too.

The OP mentioned field use...in the field...other than trajectory...the .45acp will do anything the 10mm will with premium cast ammo. and do it just as well Sorry, if this flies in the face of what you think of the 2 rds...but in practical use, from practical carry guns...there is no discernible difference in the 2rds when using the right ammo.

Part of me thinks you are just messing with me here.

It will do the same thing that a 9mm will do with the extra energy over the .380, or that the .357 would do with the extra energy over the .38....penetrate deeper. Yes, a .45acp CAN kill a bear. Grizzlies have been killed with .22 before. Doesnt mean I would take one for bear protection. .45acp may work just as well as 10mm for your use, but that doesnt make it as powerful as a 10mm.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
45 Super, 10mm Auto and 357 RM are all in the same ballpark power wise, pick your favorite platform. 45 ACP, no, not by quite a margin. Of those, my preference for a defensive gun is the 10mm in a G20, 15+1 rounds, I can shoot it faster/better in a close range defensive scenario than I can the 357 DA revolver. For a hunting gun, I'd likely pick the 357 revolver with a fairly long barrel and quality sights.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts