Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I 'done went and did it'.. I ordered the new Ket tec
PLR-16 Long Range Pistol as an 'I love me present'..
Let you all know it's pros, cons, etc. when I receive and test it

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Great!!! A guinea pig!! :icon16:

I am somewhat wanting one of those - why? - just because! :wink:

Be waiting impatiently for a full review after you get it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Now, that looks like just plain fun! Would be a blast to carry through a prairie dog town. Congrats, and have fun with the reviewing!

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
looks like fun. New truck gun perhaps?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
i am intrested in what they did ( with pics if possible ) to the ar style recoil system to achieve this lol i can see a " para folder " coming up lol

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ya had me all exited when I saw the thread starter "long range pistol". I duno if that will produce impressive grps past 100y. But it sure does look like loads of fun!!!

I agree w/h Rocky. It looks like a nice truck gun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Without the recoil buffer tube, etc., I imagine it will have a little bit of bite with a 62-69 gr. .223/5.56 !
I need to look for a 18 1/2 " holster now !!!!LOL.
Book retail shows around $699 or so but dealer let me have it for the street retail of $499. Have seen it since on the web for $475.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
The gas op. system should produce a bit more felt recoil. Especially with the light polymer construction. Don't know how accurate it will be. I have fired my AR carbine without use of the stock. It's hard for me to hit anything.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Will not be "long range". Unless you put a short eye relief scope on it and shoot from a bench.Expect vels.under 3K also. This weapon is clearly designed to be fired from the hip. How long range can that be ?? Can you have fun with it ? DEFINATELY !! --------

·
Registered
862 Posts
So ya might need to get a bi-pod, mabe a Hart barrel. Then it might do some long range.

As for the recoil. I dont think it woud be awfull. A .223 isnt bad out of a Contender.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RSSZ said:
Will not be "long range". Unless you put a short eye relief scope on it and shoot from a bench.Expect vels.under 3K also. This weapon is clearly designed to be fired from the hip. How long range can that be ?? Can you have fun with it ? DEFINATELY !! --------
With a barrel length of 9.2 inches and a velocity of 2600 (with M193 cartridge) or better, it has to have a fairly 'long range' aspect compared to almost all other handguns wouldn't you think ?. Granted it's not a M4 carbine but it isn't too far off from the 10 " model carbine and still considered a handgun.I plan to use my Eotech holo sight on it or may also mount a laser I have on it .Like you say . I think it should be a handful of fun as well as a 'contender' (no capitol C intended of course)

·
Super Moderator
18,125 Posts
Id be willing to bet that the pistol wont be anywhere near the 2600FPS with that short barrel.

Even in a Contender pistol, standard .223 ammo isnt very efficent and lots of the powder only serves to make some impressive looking fireballs.

It would rank high in the fun factor, especially when cranking them off as fast as you can from the hip. That basketball sized fireball would look great at the range !

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I feel that the 2600fps figure that you threw out is about right. The exiting bullet is fast enough. The only limiting factor is the ability to target that bullet. Also,i feel that you can't compare the accuracy potential to a T/C or Encore in .223. I owned one(T/C) up until about 2 years ago and it was unbelieveably accurate with the proper handloads. The above weapon will be a FUNGUN but the accuracy just wont be there(IMO). I would expect(with the right scope)3" at 100yds. with the right loading would be the absolute best this weapon could do. I would gess-ta-mate that long range for this weapon would be 150-200yds. The fun factor will be high and the ammo will be cheap. Now all you gotta do is go to a holster crafter and get them to make you a shoulder rig so you can CC the weapon.---------

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pr16

Yep, a shoulder holster or across the chest type would be very nice for it. ! A Contender type or maybe even a long thigh type ?! The 2600 figure I mentioned is Kel Tec's figure for a M193 . There are even higher velocity available of course. Don't know what the barrel twist ratio is yet but 2600/M193 has been given. There are some 10" carbine M4's out there and I think this gun could be a very nice close quarters combat weapon. I'm not wanting it for anything over say 200 yards anyway. There is a front vertical hand grip picatinny mount for the hand guard available for it like the M4 etc. This would help steadiness as such.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts