Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many people load their pistols to mag capacity plus 1. I have developed a habit of not adding the plus 1. That is to say if mag capacity is 10 rounds, I load 10, chamber a round, and don’t top off magazine. This may be silly but I don’t like the top round being too tight with the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I've never owned a gun rated for X number of rounds that wouldn't reliably function with a mag loaded with that number of rounds...so I load a 10-rounder with 10, put one in the chamber, then replace it with the 10th in the mag. Don't see any reason to load less than capacity. I have read that some have problems if they fully load...just haven't had that problem myself.

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Just like that old aircrew saying; The three most useless things in the world; The runway behind you, the altitude above you and the fuel left in the truck. That round left out of the magazine may be just the one you need.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I've never owned a gun rated for X number of rounds that wouldn't reliably function with a mag loaded with that number of rounds...so I load a 10-rounder with 10, put one in the chamber, then replace it with the 10th in the mag. Don't see any reason to load less than capacity. I have read that some have problems if they fully load...just haven't had that problem myself.
This here. if it holds ten, i am putting ten in it. Im not going to shortchange myself for no real reason

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I top off all my pistols except for my G30. Too much pressure on the mag catch for my liking on that one.
The g30 mags are unbelievably tight when loaded to capacity. I don’t know why they don’t fix that.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I always carry +1

Not doing so would be like only filling the fuel tank on your truck about 90% full. If it holds 10% more, you might as well fill it up. You never know when you might need to go a few extra miles to reach that next gas station.
To make that analogy work, you would need to fill up, turn on the engine and let it run for a minute, and then replace what was pumped from the tank to the fuel lines.
If that makes a difference in you getting to a gas station before you run out of gas, then that’s a brain housing group issue, and not a fuel issue, lol.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
+1 on my Glocks never had an issue...could that 1 make the difference---not willing to find out it would have !!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Curious how many people load their pistols to mag capacity plus 1. I have developed a habit of not adding the plus 1. That is to say if mag capacity is 10 rounds, I load 10, chamber a round, and don’t top off magazine. This may be silly but I don’t like the top round being too tight with the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lower capacity guns, yes. Higher, no. Where's the cutoff? I do it, usually, with my XDS with the 7 round short mag, usually not with my XD subcompact with the 9 round short mag.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts