Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
To me the notion of not carrying you gun at less than full capacity is misguided. I have owned 9 semis since my first one in 1971. I laced +1. In every one of them. I did that because I do not ever want to look back or be unable to look back on a situation when one more round would have made difference

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Do you mean so that they will, being one round short, will seat/latch easier?
Yes sir. I am trained to do a tactical reload with retention, so the reload is done with the slide home instead of locked open.

Like another member here mentioned, I always download AR mags by two for the same reason.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I gotcha...thanks. I've heard of downloading the AR...not familiar with how hard it is to seat mag w/that. Do you catch/save your mags or let them fall?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I gotcha...thanks. I've heard of downloading the AR...not familiar with how hard it is to seat mag w/that. Do you catch/save your mags or let them fall?
It all depends on what’s happening at that time. It’s alwsys good to keep your gear if you can, but sometimes it’s more prudent to let the mag hit the ground and keep moving.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Some I do, some I don’t . None of my GLOCKS get +1. I just don’t like the snugness of them with +1. All of my single stacks get +1, since capacity is limited by design. I do test all my mags with +1 and make sure they will do it if needed. I have found a few that were problematic +1 when brand new, but that usually irons out after a coupla weeks of fully loaded. Most guns that I have that are 13 rounds are better I usually do not +1.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I always go +1 with my carry guns. I fire a few mags at the range with the pistol loaded +1 to make sure it functions properly loaded that way. Never had any malfunctions due to the full load.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
I load 9 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber of my open carry G26 because there are places I must disarm and I will not leave a loaded gun unattended in the car so I can clear the chamber and use that round to top up the magazine making it ready to reload the gun when I get back.

·
Super Moderator
19,240 Posts
Handgun: I load the magazine, put it in the gun and chamber a round. That's it.

Rifle: I down load my AR magazines by 2.. ( oh the horror )
A lot of 30-round mags won't seat reliably on a closed bolt. Pat Rogers drilled into us to load 30 and download 2.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
A lot of 30-round mags won't seat reliably on a closed bolt. Pat Rogers drilled into us to load 30 and download 2.
I've experienced this with my AR but thought something was wrong with the mag so I set it aside and no longer use it. What makes it not seat properly? Does the bolt press down on the top round of the mag?

·
Super Moderator
19,240 Posts
I've experienced this with my AR but thought something was wrong with the mag so I set it aside and no longer use it. What makes it not seat properly? Does the bolt press down on the top round of the mag?
It's not a "defect," but rather a "characteristic." Look at a loaded mag - see how much of the top round protrudes above the feed lips? That round has to be pushed downward a bit by the bottom of the bolt, when it's closed. The originally-standard 20-round mags were designed with enough room below the follower and compressed spring to let the cartridge stack move down another 1/8th inch or so. When 30-round mags came along, I don't know if that was just ignored or if there were other design considerations (such as the need to curve the body of the longer mag) which limited the compression of the longer spring, but the result is that most 30-rounders just won't seat reliably (key word) on a closed bolt. I believe some newer 30-rounders may, but the 30+ P-mags here won't. Giving up 1-2 rounds in a pistol that loads 8 max is an issue for me, in a rifle with 28 +1 on board is not.

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
I always top off my mags. AR P mags have a little extra room to load 30 and still reliable seated with the bolt closed. You can actually get 31 in them but it will not seat then and may affect reliability.

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
I don't top off. The "one more round" debate can be beat to death with no resolution. Even not topping off my Glock 30 I still have more rounds than a 1911, so does that make a 1911 risky to carry when you needed that ninth round? What if I need a twelfth round over the 11 my G30 could hold. How about a 13th round that my 12+1 6906 couldn't hold?

Go with the loading you're comfortable with and don't worry about the other guys.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Whatever amount of rounds my mag holds, I top it off and then, I'm always + up! Always!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always carry +1. From what I understand, no one has ever said after a gunfight "Gee, I guess I brought too much ammo."

Besides, many guns are advertised as "8+1" or "15+1" or whatever in capacity. That says to me that the manufacturer gives their blessing for loading +1. Why not take advantage?

21 - 40 of 144 Posts