Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
After reading about testing your carry pistol with +1, I went to the range today and did so.

Happy to report that my PPS functioned flawlessly running all 4 mags at +1 configuration. I did notice that when ejecting the mags after chambering the first round that the top round in the mag had moved forward in the feed lips a little. Normal, I guess.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Never saw a good reason not to carry +1. Since my carry guns have usually had 6 round magazines, every extra round really counts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I carry 15+1 in my Glock 22 on a daily basis. I have a couple of rounds in my pocket; I load one round manually, then insert a full magazine. Another full mag (or two) on on my belt.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I did it that way for many years, most of my life, actually...drop one into the barrel, release the slide and insert full mag. Someone finally taught me a few short years ago that that's hard on extractors, and it's much better to load the chamber from the mag. I was told (by someone who knew lots more than I do about pistols) that doing it my way would ruin an extractor.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I carry my 1911s and BHP w/ +1, AFTER checking to see that the pistol and magazines handle reliably.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, I do plus one always. I've never seen a reason not to and it gives you an additional round, so why would someone NOT want that?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I download all of my spare mags to facilitate easier tactical reloads, ( when I carry a reload).
That's the one fault I have with my Shield. A full mag on a closed chamber is a royal pain to insert. I need to take the muzzle off target to get enough leverage to get that topped off mag in the mag well.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My EDC is a S&W Shield 9X19mm with (8) Rd capacity magazine plus one additional magazine. With that said its either going to be good enough or not good enough but that's the way its going to be.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
One reason I don't do '+1' is convenience.
Unfortunately I have to go to CA nearly every week. Since I no longer live there I can't legally carry there. And while transporting there it must be unloaded.
I don't have 1 loose round to keep track of.
If 51 rounds in three mags and another box of 50 aren't enough, 1 more won't make a difference for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Curious how many people load their pistols to mag capacity plus 1. I have developed a habit of not adding the plus 1. That is to say if mag capacity is 10 rounds, I load 10, chamber a round, and don’t top off magazine. This may be silly but I don’t like the top round being too tight with the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do what you do for the same reason you give. Silly? Maybe but it makes me happy.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Hell, I replace 7 rd factory 1911 mags with 8 rounders [ the 7's get used for practice ] to get that extra round [ making it 9 ready to roll in the gun instead of 8 ] The difference between a 7 round mag loaded and not topped off and the 9 rds I carry in mine would be a 23% reduction in capacity. I carried a 1911 when the only mags that were reliable for street were 7 rounders [ and then the 8's came out and some worked and some didn't but not enough to trust them on the street to save by butt ]. Soon as 8's were made reliable enough a decade later, the 7's were relegated to practice and I increased my capacity by 13% instantly. But when 8's weren't a consideration, no way I'd not top off for the street with a 7 round mag. I'd have considered anyone doing so lacking forethought

Carry the 8 rd 45 S+W shield mags in gun and spares, the 6 rounders are for practice only. Topped off, 9 rds once again of 45acp.

Practicing with the double stacks, load insert one in chamber and shoot. Carry double stacks? load, insert one in chamber, remove mag, top off and reinsert. Every round counts when the gun is carried to keep my butt from growing cold.

Who wants a 23% reduction in potential ammo on board when it's for all the marbles? Not I. Hell, its still a 13% reduction from 8 to stock 7's alone.

If my pistol mags are hard to insert fully loaded [ topped off ], I've never noticed as I was trained to slam the mag into the mag well and not be a wimp about it.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
If my pistol mags are hard to insert fully loaded [ topped off ], I've never noticed as I was trained to slam the mag into the mag well and not be a wimp about it.
My Glock 30 mags are the only ones I’ve ever had a problem with inserting. They are unbelievably tight. Far more than any other gun I’ve ever shot, but I still top them off.

Reactions: AzQkr and OldVet

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
I'm comfortable with only 10 rounds in my Glock 30. Don't really care what anyone else does. If I wasn't okay with 10 rounds, I'd use G21 mags. If that weren't comfortable enough, I'd carry an 18-19 round 9mm, or one of those 32-round mags, or . . . well at some point a person's just got to stop worrying about the little things like a single, solitary extra round.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
My Glock 30 mags are the only ones I’ve ever had a problem with inserting. They are unbelievably tight. Far more than any other gun I’ve ever shot, but I still top them off.
My two G30's were the same way, but they functioned just fine topped off with a rd in the chamber. Far too many people baby the process of reloading mags, those are the people that notice a problem with one or another particular gun..

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I'm comfortable with only 10 rounds in my Glock 30. Don't really care what anyone else does. If I wasn't okay with 10 rounds, I'd use G21 mags. If that weren't comfortable enough, I'd carry an 18-19 round 9mm, or one of those 32-round mags, or . . . well at some point a person's just got to stop worrying about the little things like a single, solitary extra round.
Agreed. It just ain’t that big of a deal.

Reactions: OldVet
101 - 120 of 144 Posts