Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where this belongs so if it is in the wrong place feel free to tell me and I will move it. I own a Ruger P89 and want to make sure it is OK to shoot 9mm+ ammo through it. Does anyone in the forum know the answer to this or where I can find out?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I've used Winchester's Ranger T 124grn 9mm+p in my Ruger P89 with no problems. I tried some Ranger T 127grn +P+ but it didn't give very good results for me. Here's what the "manual" has to say...

The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to
U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded
in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19, .45 ACP or .40 S & W
ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards
is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these
pistols.

My P89 has been the most reliable semi in my collection. Not so much to look at, but have never had a failure.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I'm sure it's okay after reading TSKnight's post above but most will caution about using it to excess. That could take some years off of the life of your gun. Use it for SD & maybe a few mags while practicing to make sure you can compensate for any difference between practice ammo & +P.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used Winchester's Ranger T 124grn 9mm+p in my Ruger P89 with no problems. I tried some Ranger T 127grn +P+ but it didn't give very good results for me. Here's what the "manual" has to say...

The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to
U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded
in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19, .45 ACP or .40 S & W
ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards
is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these
pistols.

My P89 has been the most reliable semi in my collection. Not so much to look at, but have never had a failure.
Thanks for the response. I was concerned because of the age of the pistol that it might not be designed to handle the + ammo. I am also glad to see that you find it to be reliable because that has always been a concern for me mostly because of the lower price of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You are welcome.

I don't claim to be an expert on much of anything, all I can do is share my own experience.

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
...I was concerned because of the age of the pistol that it might not be designed to handle the + ammo. I am also glad to see that you find it to be reliable because that has always been a concern for me mostly because of the lower price of the pistol.
Age of the pistol??? It's at most about 20 years old! That is NOT an old gun! :nono:

Ruger P-Series pistols are tanks. As TSKnight has quoted, the P89 is rated for 9mm NATO, which slightly exceeds +P pressures. No worries!

I've had my P85 Mk II since 1992 and have never had a malfunction with it.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Age of the pistol??? It's at most about 20 years old! That is NOT an old gun! :nono:

Ruger P-Series pistols are tanks. As TSKnight has quoted, the P89 is rated for 9mm NATO, which slightly exceeds +P pressures. No worries!

I've had my P85 Mk II since 1992 and have never had a malfunction with it.
The pistol is actually just about 20 years old and my concern was not so much the gun being worn out as that I was not sure when they started making the 9mm+P ammo and if it was after this gun was made. It looks like I will be all set if it was rated for 9mm NATO which exceeds the +P ammo should not be a problem. Thanks to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+P for sure

To the OP, I asked this question to RUGER directly about my P89. (Quote below)

"The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition."

Shoot +P all day, it will not cause an issue.
ReAp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts