Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pocket 9mm for my wife. Something close to the size of an LCP. NOt interested in a .380 so please only make suggestions for 9mm.

I already have a Springfield XD9SC and it is too big to just shove in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Not many options in that size...if it were easy, why would anyone choose a .380 over the 9? Closest size is pretty much a Rohrbaugh (along with its rather hefty price). After that, the generally agreed upon were mentioned: Kahr PM9, then the Kel-Tec PF9, but both are a bit bigger and whether truly 'pocket-sized' starts really depending on the size of your pockets.

Have you considered a revolver? A J-frame might be a little bigger, but the shape may lend itself to the pocket in question.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Don't know about your wife but mind does not like a pocket 9mm at all.

She says it has to much recoil and muzzle flip and she has trouble working slide, and pocket 9mm are to big for her clothes.

I would suggest that before you invest go to range and rent their guns and let her try them out.

If she want carry it because she does not like it or has problems with it you are not getting ahead. YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I agree with 'cj' on this one. I also know of women that simply struggle with a slide, mag releases, and safeties of some autos’. I found that a j-frame suited those women better. I realize that some pros will contend that it requires less motor skills to fire an auto, but I feel that it requires less sensory skills to shoot a revolver. I don't yet own one, but maybe a Glock G26 with the N.Y. trigger spring would be a consideration.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Thats was my first thought, as well. Just have to make sure she is willing to follow manual of arms and care. They can be tempremental if not cared for properly. The Pf-9 seems nice as well., for a lower priced gun.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd got PF-9 or 709slim or PPS9. The PF-9 isn't too friendly to shoot as mentioned. The 709 and PPS are easier to shoot from what I gather. The PF will be the smallest and lightest, but at a price. The PPS is nice but not real light in the pocket. It's always give and take.

·
Registered
161 Posts
PF-9

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Side bar: Hmm, I see that CD ammo is becoming quite popular and I ordered a bunch of it as well. In particular, it looks very good for the feed ramp.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I see that CD ammo is becoming quite popular and I ordered a bunch of it as well.
It looks pretty fancy. I usually carried TAP +P rounds, but they didn't have any, so I ended up picking this up.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I can't pocket carry a 9mm, want to, but my pf9 does not work in anything but cargo pockets and it feels awkward in there. The Kahr is slightly smaller but still not sure it is enough for me. I would love a PF9 1/2"-1" less barrel and one or two less rounds. But I guess the shorter spring would be an issue, though a shorter grip shouldn't affect anything except ho one would hold it to fire...

Personally I love my 32, in a one person muggin situation or even two perhaps, those 8rounds should get it done and the recoil isn't bad, fairly accurate at self defense type distances...

May want to look at a 38 snubbie... hope you can find what you are looking for.

·
Banned
67 Posts
For a small 9 it's pretty hard to beat the Glock 26. Easy to run. Dependable as hell, and very concealable. Plus if needed, it will accept Hi-Cap magazines up to 33 rounds. I doubt there is another compact 9 that has that kind of adaptability. Bill T.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I can't pocket carry a 9mm, want to, but my pf9 does not work in anything but cargo pockets and it feels awkward in there. The Kahr is slightly smaller but still not sure it is enough for me. I would love a PF9 1/2"-1" less barrel and one or two less rounds. But I guess the shorter spring would be an issue, though a shorter grip shouldn't affect anything except ho one would hold it to fire...

May want to look at a 38 snubbie... hope you can find what you are looking for.
Sounds like you need a P3AT, not a 9mm but 380 with CD ammo is nothing to look down on.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I saw a woman shooting a .357 snubbie airweight at the range yesterday. She was hitting the target and having a good time. I don't think caliber should be an issue.

As for a pocket weapon, I don't know any 9 mil that fits comfortably in the pocket, even a Kahr. Might look at the Sig P38 in 380.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Don't know about your wife but mind does not like a pocket 9mm at all.

She says it has to much recoil and muzzle flip and she has trouble working slide, and pocket 9mm are to big for her clothes.

I would suggest that before you invest go to range and rent their guns and let her try them out.

If she want carry it because she does not like it or has problems with it you are not getting ahead. YMMV
Agreed,
I have yet to find a woman that like to shoot my PF9.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Forgot the PPS. that also is a good candidate.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts