Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The ONLY pocket 9mm the size of an LCP is the Rohrbaugh R9.

As others have said, it is expensive (~$1000), and chances are you will not be able to find one as a rental to try out before you buy. If you know someone who has one, that might be the best bet.

It can be picky about ammo (according to some owners - I do not have one), and you cannot use +P ammo. You also need to remember to change the recoil spring every 200 rounds (IIRC).

Personally, I feel that the 9mm is certainly a better cartridge than the .380, BUT it is not 3x better (LCP can be had for ~ $280-350). For the price of an R9, you can get a LCP, holster, laser, ammo, and training - and still have money left over.

My wife carries a LCP in a belly band. She tried my PM9 (when I still had it) and found it too heavy and too large. She loves the LCP - it does sting her hand when she fires it, but she shoots it quite well.

I did pocket carry a PM9 for a few years. It depends on your pockets - with some of my suit pants, the pockets were too shallow and the pistol's butt would peek out unless I kept my suit coat on all the time. I cannot imagine it would work too well in a woman's pockets.

If you go to Mouseguns.com, there is a comparo chart done by a member (Bob) that shows all the small guns to scale.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Remember it is far more important for a woman who carries concealed to have the proper mindset, than the proper caliber or ammunition. Women can acquire a CCW as easily as men can, but the proper mental state is something else.

A lot of woman will hesitate when it comes down to dropping the hammer. Many men will as well. Proper mental training above and beyond a CCW course is often needed. I worry more about the opposite with my wife. She has zero problem with that end of it! :comeandgetsome: Bill T.

·
Registered
71 Posts
R9 or PM9. My PM9 is slightly larger and heavier than my R9. Here is my PM9 next to my LCP. I need to put my Kahr next to the other two for size comparison. I just got my Kahr yesterday so I will work on the pictures for comparison.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well, the PM-9 is much larger than an LCP, so I would rule that out. It's also not a pocket gun unless your pockets are bigger than mine.
Pocket 9? Rohrbach is the only choice. No fun to shoot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man, that Rohrbaugh is one sexy ass gun... to rich for my blood, so I have a PM9.
No comparison pics from me though as it's the only small gun I have.

I've only carried it in my pocket a few times, and I wouldn't on the regular. I carry it IWB @ about 4 o'clock.

I DO like it though :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. My wife has no trouble with any of my autos when it comes to manipulating the mag release or locking the slide to the rear so that isn't an issue. She also has no problem with recoil.

I think I will look at the PM9 for her.

She doesn't carry all the time but when we go out we sometimes go our seperate ways shopping and she wants something small she can throw in her purse or in a pocket.

I will keep you posted on what I get her and how we like it.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
If you're going to get her a PM9 make sure you get a pocket holster. Is the 9mm requirement yours or hers? I think a 442/642 may be a better choice for the situation you described.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My wife doesn't have a problem shooting any of my guns (Kahr MK9, PM9, P380, Glock 27, Seecamp 32 and Kel-Tec 32). Her problem is that she doesn't have any pants that can even pocket carry anything larger than a .380 or .32. The Kel-Tec 32 didn't even fit in half of her pants. It boggles my mind how small the pockets are on women's jeans and pants. She's also not going to change the way she dresses.

That being said, she really likes the Kahr P380 and Seecamp 32. She's decided the only way that would be comfortable for her to carry would be an OWB holster, with a light sweater or something over it. I'm currently waiting for the Crimson Trace LG-433 to come out for the P380 since there are no holsters for that setup yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally, I carry a G19 but if I needed something smaller in a 9mm I would get a Rohrbaugh R9. They arent cheap (about $1100-$1200 retail) but they are accurate and made really well.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I bought a Taurus PT709 for pocket carry and it works out well. I also carry S&W 38 snubs in pockets at times as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. My wife has no trouble with any of my autos when it comes to manipulating the mag release or locking the slide to the rear so that isn't an issue. She also has no problem with recoil.

I think I will look at the PM9 for her.

She doesn't carry all the time but when we go out we sometimes go our seperate ways shopping and she wants something small she can throw in her purse or in a pocket.

I will keep you posted on what I get her and how we like it.
Hers. When she took her CCW class the instructor told the class he recommends nothing smaller than a 9mm and now she has it in her head that it is the golden rule.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have no problem shooting my Rohrbaugh. For this size gun it is very accurate.
I didn't say it wasn't accurate (at the distance it was designed for).
I said it wasn't fun at the range. I can't imagine anyone shooting 100 rounds at the range.
If you drop down a bit to the .380, it opens a whole new range of firearms. I'm always amazed at how well my Sig P-238 performs.
(But the question was about a 9mm.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't say it wasn't accurate (at the distance it was designed for).
I said it wasn't fun at the range. I can't imagine anyone shooting 100 rounds at the range.
If you drop down a bit to the .380, it opens a whole new range of firearms. I'm always amazed at how well my Sig P-238 performs.
(But the question was about a 9mm.)
Again, no problems at the range. Last time out 104 rounds. A .380 is a .380, it isn't a 9mm.

As long as I have my R9 my .380's will stay in the safe just for shooting. I, also, use the exact same holster for my R9 as my LCP.
Sig's are great guns. I have a few.

If you can get your hands on a R9 do it. The longer you own it the longer you appreciate it. My carry ammo is 147gr hp. gold dots. I also shot 124gr. hp gold dots, all, with "0" problems. The trigger on the R9 is great.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Tell her a 9mm is .355 diameter, and a .38 is bigger so a .38 +p is just as good. LOL Maybe put her in a scandium frame .38/357 with .38 +p once she feels the super light weight of the snubie she may change her mind. Or look at a 9mm snubbie.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tell her a 9mm is .355 diameter, and a .38 is bigger so a .38 +p is just as good. LOL Maybe put her in a scandium frame .38/357 with .38 +p once she feels the super light weight of the snubie she may change her mind. Or look at a 9mm snubbie.
Now there is a good option, I almost bought one of these a few years ago. A 9mm snubbie... good call on that one! With the revolver you could probably shoot +p's and +p+'s.

i agree with 38 spec also, good round, similar from all the debates in ballistics.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If you can get your hands on a R9 do it. The longer you own it the longer you appreciate it.
I would love to have a Rohrbach if I could get it for $500.
$1000 is that magic barrier when I feel I've crossed the line to wasteful.
I didn't pay $1000 for my H&K P-30, and it's as fine a firearm as you can buy. I paid way less for my CZ's and they are reliable 100%.
I can't see changing recoil springs in a $1000 gun (I suspect most owners don't shoot their's enough to need a change.)

I'd like a Seecamp too..............................

21 - 40 of 44 Posts