Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it has been unbelievably hot here in TN for the past two weeks. I have switched to carrying my 380 as I have a lot less cover garments for concealment. Anyway I usually carry my .380 in an IWB holster and occasionally on my ankle when deep cover is needed. Well tonight I needed deep cover but was wearing shorts so I decided to try my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It fits my gun well and feels good in the pocket. The problem I had was when I went to sit down I noticed the gun was pointed directly at the person sitting in front of me. It was pretty unnerving as this does not happen with IWB or ankle carry when sitting. It appeared to be sitting in my pocket correctly. My question to those that pocket carry, is this just how it is? I am not used to ever letting my gun point at someone. Do I just need to get over it if I am going to pocket carry or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
It's holstered ? The trigger is completely covered and cannot be accessed through the holster? I carry an LCP as a BUG to my Glock G17 . I have faith in my pocket holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I know several guys who only pocket carry in condition 3 for that same reason.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Use a belly band and wear gym shorts for all it will matter.

Reactions: SWIll

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok so it has been unbelievably hot here in TN for the past two weeks. I have switched to carrying my 380 as I have a lot less cover garments for concealment. Anyway I usually carry my .380 in an IWB holster and occasionally on my ankle when deep cover is needed. Well tonight I needed deep cover but was wearing shorts so I decided to try my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It fits my gun well and feels good in the pocket. The problem I had was when I went to sit down I noticed the gun was pointed directly at the person sitting in front of me. It was pretty unnerving as this does not happen with IWB or ankle carry when sitting. It appeared to be sitting in my pocket correctly. My question to those that pocket carry, is this just how it is? I am not used to ever letting my gun point at someone. Do I just need to get over it if I am going to pocket carry or am I doing something wrong?
Ehhhh...I carry appendix. The end, where the scary bullets come from, point at my personal bits or my femoral artery. I'm not worried if my firearm, in a holster with the bang switch covered, points at someone. People also carry in shoulder holsters and their firearm points directly behind them. As long as the other person isn't aware they are being flagged, don't worry.

·
Administrator
143,597 Posts
As I have said many times in the past. When you are carrying IWB or OWB do you know that when you are walking around on the second floor of your home....your muzzle is pointing directly at the tops of the heads of the folks on the first floor?

It probably doesn't bother you because you can't see their respective heads but, the floor won't stop a bullet.

AKA the muzzle rule does not apply to a properly functioning firearm that is properly holstered.

Just do not fiddle around with your holstered pocketed firearm and nobody ever gets hurt.

If your properly holstered loaded firearm was laying on your coffee table...would you avoid walking in front of it or...the muzzle?

If anybody answers YES then they need to make an appointment with a psychiatrist. :blink:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Yes, there is a definitive line between being swept "by accident" and sweeping someone with gun in hand.
Just look at the threads on being swept at gun shows and gun shops. It feels perfectly normal to walk in front of a muzzle... unless that muzzle is in someone's hand.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective. If that loaded .380 were in a desk drawer would your perspective change? What about lying in the console of a car? Shoulder holster?

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I pocket carry quite a bit and am quite comfortable with it. As long as the gun is in a holster your fine. And additional layer of peace of mind for me is that I don't keep anything else in the pocket with the gun. There's no way a finger or anything else is getting anywhere near the trigger of the gun.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You should have no concerns unless you can't resist the urge to reach in your pocket and fondle your pistol.

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
If it bothers you you might try Saf-T-Block a trigger stop. Normally made for Glock.

·
Registered
863 Posts
OP you never mentioned what type of .380 you are carrying. I have a SAW Bodyguard .380 and it has a long DA trigger. I also have a Keltec P3AT .380 with a DA long trigger pull. I feel they are very safe sitting in a nemesis pocket holster. If you are uncomfortable with a semi auto look into a small j frame or LCR for pocket carry. Typically anything I pocket carry whether its 9mm or 38sp is DAO.

·
Banned
374 Posts
And additional layer of peace of mind for me is that I don't keep anything else in the pocket with the gun. There's no way a finger or anything else is getting anywhere near the trigger of the gun.
This is critical if you are going to carry in a pocket. Get a good pocket holster and make sure you never carry anything else in the pocket.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Typically anything I pocket carry whether its 9mm or 38sp is DAO.
As guns have continued to become smaller and lighter, I've evolved into carrying a backup in my pocket almost every day. Like you, for a pocket, I'm only looking at a DAO. That, combined with a good pocket holster and making sure the gun/holster is the only thing that is in the pocket, makes it a very safe way to carry a gun.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I pocket carry a Sig 938 cocked and lock with safety on. I have no fear of it going off.

·
Registered
739 Posts
People also carry in shoulder holsters and their firearm points directly behind them. As long as the other person isn't aware they are being flagged, don't worry.
Actually, that was a big concern of mine and why I changed my shoulder holster to a VERTICAL carry system rather than horizontal so I wouldn't be flagging folks behind me.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you pocket carry in a holster that covers the trigger guard and donb't carry anything else in that pocket, you have nothing to worry about. I carry a Glock 43 that way daily.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the reply's guys. It seems to be just a matter of perspective. I never thought about some of the scenarios you guys mentioned, but yea I do have a two story house so the muzzle is pointing down when I am upstairs, and yea a gun in a drawer does not bother me. Anyway I use a Kahr CW380 that has a DAO trigger. I do use a holster (the trigger is completely covered) and it is the only thing in that pocket. I am sure I will get used to it but it was just different and a bit unnerving at the time.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,460 Posts
If you walk into the LGS I work at today, you will have over 100 handguns in the display cases pointed at you. They rarely go off by themselves.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts