Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Read Only
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been carrying a few years now and had never found a way to carry easily in the warmer months. One that enabled me to walk and sit for extended periods easily, without having to switch things around or adjust anything as I changed stance. And one that guaranteed no printing. Recently, I started carrying my Rugar LC9S (9mm, 7 shot, manual safety with CT laser) in a "Sticky Holster", and dropping it in my strong arm (right) pants pocket, with a spare clip in my left pocket.

I love this! Wish I had discovered this before. So far, this is really working well for me.

What am I missing? Is this too-good-to-be-true?

Rick

FYI: Sticky Holster Site: for those unfamiliar with this type of holster

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Hot Steamy GULF COAST Texas. AIWB A Glock G17 everyday, all day.

Reactions: CDW4ME and OldChap

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of the sticky holster but other than that I think you are good to go. I have been pocket carrying at work every day for years. Works great for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
The biggest drawback to pocket carry is that it can be difficult to impossible to draw while seated. If you're in a car or a restaurant and something goes down, you could have a problem.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I like Sticky Holsters but only carry IWB.

My avatar should be a cue that DB has bear sized hands. I would love to get a pocket option but I usually absolutely stink shooting subcompacts. Like really bad. The G26 is the first subcompact I've ever shot that I shot well right out of the door with. First couple mags on the range session and they were all in the paint. Last few mags and I was getting nice 3-5" groupings.

My cousin is buying a Ruger LC9s Pro. I'm excited because it gives me an opportunity to try it out before buying. If I can shoot it confidently, DB might just get a pocket rocket option.

Until then, my G26 sits in a kydex holster during the day with a belt and a Sticky Holster after hours when the belt comes off.

I love my G26. It's not what I consider a pocket pistol, though some will argue. But I can shoot it confidently so it rides on my hip when in warm weather attire... which, living in SW Florida, is about 10 months out of the year.

Crossing my fingers that I can shoot an LC9s well enough to give me a pocket option. I know pocket carry is not ideal, but if it gets one to carry every day, then carry on! :ridinghorse:

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The biggest drawback to pocket carry is that it can be difficult to impossible to draw while seated. If you're in a car or a restaurant and something goes down, you could have a problem.
That can be an issue for sure. For me it makes it a lot easier if I slide my butt forward on the seat and sink down, so that my thighs start to line up with my torso. That helps make the pocket easier to reach into, and also clear the seat belt if in a car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Recently, I started carrying my Rugar LC9S (9mm, 7 shot, manual safety with CT laser) in a "Sticky Holster", and dropping it in my strong arm (right) pants pocket, with a spare clip in my left pocket.
This is exactly what I carry sometimes (minus the laser). I find it comfortable to carry and easy to add and remove. It is problably slower than a traditional belt carry (unless you are walking around with your hand in your pocket and on the grip) but sometimes the disadvantages are acceptable.

The same could be said for the commonly accepted behind the hip IWB or OWB carry. Cross draw or shoulder carry are really the most accessible while siting or driving, and they have problems of their own in other situations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
The same could be said for the commonly accepted behind the hip IWB or OWB carry. Cross draw or shoulder carry are really the most accessible while siting or driving, and they have problems of their own in other situations.
I've practiced drawing and shooting while seated in my vehicle wearing my Raven Concealment holster OWB at 4:00 and G26. Absolutely no problems. I've also practiced while seated in a chair; again no problems. Maybe I am unique, but I don't see a problem here.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Pros and cons to everything

Biggest con to pocket carry IMHO is lack of ambidextrous access, important to me as I have kids

Easily solved...by dual pocket carry!
Before I made an account and was only lurking on these boards, I read about your dual pistol carry. First time I read it, I told myself "That guy is my spirit animal." :rofl:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Thats where the small floating gun concept come in.
You simply take the gun out of the pocket and place it where it is accessible.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Thats where the small floating gun concept come in.
You simply take the gun out of the pocket and place it where it is accessible.
Not sure whether you are serious or joking? Can you please clarify?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've practiced drawing and shooting while seated in my vehicle wearing my Raven Concealment holster OWB at 4:00 and G26. Absolutely no problems. I've also practiced while seated in a chair; again no problems. Maybe I am unique, but I don't see a problem here.
I guess you are unique! I certainly can draw my gun in those situations but it's noticeably slower and more cumbersome to do so than while standing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have pocket carried for years and still carry either a Sig 238 or 938. I don't wear tight pants and can turn slightly on left side and pull my pistol when seated. I would have the same problem AIWB while seated and this carry method is not comfortable to me. I have ordered and received an ankle mag carry. I now carry 2 extra mags.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Not sure whether you are serious or joking? Can you please clarify?
The floating gun concept has been around for years.

When i pocket carry, if quick access is desired, as I sit down, I palm the gun from my pocket and position it under my leg. It can go from there to a coat pocket, back pocket , iwb, or any other place I desire it to be.

And besides, that, it is a myth that pocket carry is slower than traditional carry while seated. That's just more inet bs swallowed hook line and sinker, and regurgitated because no one thinks for themselves.

With the right pants, the pocket gun is as fast as any other mode while seated, with the possible exception of AIWB or a shoulder holster.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's why I ankle carry and pocket carry.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That can be an issue for sure. For me it makes it a lot easier if I slide my butt forward on the seat and sink down, so that my thighs start to line up with my torso. That helps make the pocket easier to reach into, and also clear the seat belt if in a car.
I practice doing that also.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Reactions: Macantic

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
The floating gun concept has been around for years.
When i pocket carry, if quick access is desired, as I sit down, I palm the gun from my pocket and position it under my leg. It can go from there to a coat pocket, back pocket , iwb, or any other place I desire it to be.
That's a good idea and the first I've heard someone say that! But, then you're not truly "pocket carrying" at that point.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
That's a good idea and the first I've heard someone say that! But, then you're not truly "pocket carrying" at that point.
There are many advantages of pocket carry that excel over other methods in the real world. The ability to change as the environment or threat changes is the primary.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts