Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not certain it's for me.

I've been pocket carrying a Smith & Wesson Shield for two weeks, exclusive of totin' any other pistola. I've carried it in cargo shorts, jeans, Dockers, and dress trousers. Have worn it all day on a daily basis. Have spent a day gathering a load of stuff while helping my parents on their move. Have walked about town. Have driven 6 hours in one day. Have worn it to church. Don't know if it's the holster or the size or configuration of the pistol but I'm not too fond of this method of carry for the Shield.

I was in Brownfield, Texas back in late February and was running around town with my brother-in-law, hitting all the shooting establishments. The first one we went to was a local feed store which happened to deal in guns and have a smattering of shooting supplies and ammunition. Pretty reasonable they were too. Picked up a dab of ammo, including some Remington .30 Carbine soft points for a really nice price. Also picked up a 10/22 magazine and a pocket holster for the Shield as I'd been intending to try totin' the pistol that way.

After that weekend, I went off and left my sack of goodies in my sister's front bedroom. By the time I was able to retrieve them months later, my brother-in-law had even sweetened the sack with additional 10/22 magazines. I may take that sack back and leave it again just to see if anything else appears.

The pocket holster is a Sticky Holster. What is a Sticky Holster? Priced similarly to other brands of pocket holsters, it was available so I thought to try it for the Shield pocket carry experiment.

As the name implies, this holster is fairly sticky, both inside and out. To this point I've only employed De Santis Nemesis holsters for pocket carrying a Colt Detective Special, Smith & Wesson J-Frames, and a Kel Tec P3AT. This Sticky Holster grips the inside pocket material more securely than do my well-worn Nemesis holsters which are still perfectly adequate. The Sticky Holster also secures the Shield more than those Nemesis holsters hang onto those other handguns.

The issue I have with pocket-carrying the Shield is that it is awkward to draw. Can't say for certain for I've not tried the Shield with any other brand of pocket holster, but this seems to be due to the pistol's size rather than the "stickiness" of the carry holster.

I'm not a huge fan of pocket carry, but it has its place. The Nemesis holsters all grip the inside of the pocket perfectly well, allowing one to draw a handgun effectively. This Shield is clumsy in the pocket, at least any pocket I have with which to try it in. It's a poor one-handed proposition to extract the Shield from the pocket. I tried some practice draws just before posting this and they were like earlier practice draws, dreadful. Best bet is to grasp the right front pocket with the left hand, anchoring the holster, then draw the Shield with the right hand. Anything attempted one-handed gets fumbl-y. A technique of grasping the pistol and pulling to the rear as one pulls it up and out helps but not enough to give one a warm fuzzy feeling about the draw.

I'm not a practitioner of the lightning-fast draw with any method of carrying a side arm. By long habit, smooth really does work out to be pretty fast for my purposes. There's no smoothness involved in withdrawing a Shield from trousers front pockets.

Pocket holsters don't complement ease of access when seated in a car so pocket carry cannot be relied upon from a car seat. By unbuckling and with contortions I can at least get the smaller handguns out of the Nemesis. I can forget withdrawing the Shield unless I get out of the car.

I think my brother-in-law carries a similarly-sized Kahr in a Nemesis. Perhaps I need to try the old familiar Nemesis model, one that fits the Shield. I'm thinking that the Shield is a mite too large for effective pocket carry no matter the holster chosen, unless one doesn't mind fiddling a bit with his draw.

The Sticky Holster is well-made of modern materials. It's not any larger than it has to be for use with the Shield. I really think it's the size of the pistol. I'd try another Sticky Holster model with one of my smaller handguns.

The Sticky Holster claims to double as an IWB holster. An accessory attachment to convert it for ankle holster use may be purchased as well. I've not yet tried using the hoslter IWB and don't have the ankle holster attachment. I don't see carrying a Shield on my ankle.

Anyone else carrying Shields and similar pistols in a front pants pocket who would have a recommendation?

Jeans are the toughest test of both drawing and concealing the Shield.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I wear Lee jeans, and pocket carry of the Shield, is a bit awkward. Just too tight for a quick and easy draw. So I have stuck to IWB holsters for the Shield. I do have a Mika pocket carry for my S&W 642, that works great. To each his own, I guess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Might be the size of the gun. Might be the holster. Might be the style of the pocket, Might be your build... It looks fine in your Jeans, (just another big phone)

I started with the Remora, very similar to the "Sticky", for my Sig. What I found was it was very comfortable, but after time it stretched, and had very little retention. I also could not do "Jeans" carry with this, way too tight to get a reasonable fast draw, too bulky and snug.

I switched to a Kydex Alabama and PJ pocket holster. They both are almost identical, with my preference leaning slightly towards Alabama. Retention hasn't budged since new, stays in pocket on EVERY single draw, regardless of pant style, and gun is super secure. They are worlds smaller than the padded "Sticky", Remora, or Nemisis, and I feel very little difference in the comfort level. I did not alter my clothing one bit, I can carry in everything from dress to jeans in this set-up without a second look from anyone. Just looks like a phone in your pocket. I just need to be careful at a check-out counter. If my leg brushes up too close to the counter you hear a slight "klunk" because of hard kydex. LOL

I have quality IWB holsters and belt that I do use on occasion for these guns, but 95% of the time it's pocket carry I'm most comfortable with. Of coarse everyone has different builds and requirements, hence the dreaded "drawer full of holsters" That's the way I roll. YMMV.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I pocket carry a Shield all the time and I am a very average sized guy. The type pants pockets are key IMO! For me the Shield fits into Dickies and Carhartt carpenter pants easily w/ the 7 rd magazine. For summer wear my Shield disappears in the front pocket Savane hiking shorts from Sam's and Carhartt Carpenter shorts. It also carries well in 5.11 tac-lites although I don't wear them daily. FYI, my spare mag fits in the ruler pocket on the left thigh of the Dickies and Carhartt's. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Shield is my EDC. Have never considered using pocket carry. For myself I worry about how fast I could draw the gun from pocket carry if needed. Do you practice drawing from the pocket? Can it be drawn as fast as from IWB ? As I said have never even considered it so curious how it works for those that do pocket carry.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My M&P 9 Shield lives in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster when on my person and most of the time when stored. I am not a fan of pocket carry unless I have on cargo shorts and am carrying my Ruger LCP. The Shield is one of the best small carry guns for concealed carry so a belt holster works best for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Loose the thick sticky type holster and go with a Kydex one as mentioned earlier. The Shield is a big gun for pocket carry, so adding any thickness to it with the holster just makes it that much harder to conceal comfortably. I use a PJHolster pocket holster, and slightly modified it to fit the curve of my leg exactly. Works well. However unless I am just running to get the mail, it is not my primary. Pocket carry has a lot of negatives, but where it really shines is as a backup BUG. Can be casually standing there with my hand in my pocket, and no one would know that my hand is wrapped around the grip, ready to draw. I have timed my draw time from the pocket with hand already on gun, and it is lighting fast, especially if you practice firing from the hip.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
For summer wear my Shield disappears in the front pocket Savane hiking shorts from Sam's
My shorts and my experience, exactly. Those shorts have a generous pocket and the Shield goes in and comes out...like a breeze.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
I looked at the Shield for pocket carry when they were first available and decided it was just a bit too big for pocket carry, although I liked the pistol itself very much. I went with a Kahr PM9 initially for that purpose and recently switched to a Sig P938. Both of those pistols are a much better size for that purpose, without evaluating their performance.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I pocket carry a Sig 238,938 or bodyguard. I don't think a shield was designed to be carried in your pocket. At least its to big for mine.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Not certain it's for me.

I've been pocket carrying a Smith & Wesson Shield for two weeks, exclusive of totin' any other pistola. I've carried it in cargo shorts, jeans, Dockers, and dress trousers. Have worn it all day on a daily basis. Have spent a day gathering a load of stuff while helping my parents on their move. Have walked about town. Have driven 6 hours in one day. Have worn it to church. Don't know if it's the holster or the size or configuration of the pistol but I'm not too fond of this method of carry for the Shield.

I was in Brownfield, Texas back in late February and was running around town with my brother-in-law, hitting all the shooting establishments. The first one we went to was a local feed store which happened to deal in guns and have a smattering of shooting supplies and ammunition. Pretty reasonable they were too. Picked up a dab of ammo, including some Remington .30 Carbine soft points for a really nice price. Also picked up a 10/22 magazine and a pocket holster for the Shield as I'd been intending to try totin' the pistol that way.

After that weekend, I went off and left my sack of goodies in my sister's front bedroom. By the time I was able to retrieve them months later, my brother-in-law had even sweetened the sack with additional 10/22 magazines. I may take that sack back and leave it again just to see if anything else appears.

The pocket holster is a Sticky Holster. What is a Sticky Holster? Priced similarly to other brands of pocket holsters, it was available so I thought to try it for the Shield pocket carry experiment.

As the name implies, this holster is fairly sticky, both inside and out. To this point I've only employed De Santis Nemesis holsters for pocket carrying a Colt Detective Special, Smith & Wesson J-Frames, and a Kel Tec P3AT. This Sticky Holster grips the inside pocket material more securely than do my well-worn Nemesis holsters which are still perfectly adequate. The Sticky Holster also secures the Shield more than those Nemesis holsters hang onto those other handguns.

The issue I have with pocket-carrying the Shield is that it is awkward to draw. Can't say for certain for I've not tried the Shield with any other brand of pocket holster, but this seems to be due to the pistol's size rather than the "stickiness" of the carry holster.

I'm not a huge fan of pocket carry, but it has its place. The Nemesis holsters all grip the inside of the pocket perfectly well, allowing one to draw a handgun effectively. This Shield is clumsy in the pocket, at least any pocket I have with which to try it in. It's a poor one-handed proposition to extract the Shield from the pocket. I tried some practice draws just before posting this and they were like earlier practice draws, dreadful. Best bet is to grasp the right front pocket with the left hand, anchoring the holster, then draw the Shield with the right hand. Anything attempted one-handed gets fumbl-y. A technique of grasping the pistol and pulling to the rear as one pulls it up and out helps but not enough to give one a warm fuzzy feeling about the draw.

I'm not a practitioner of the lightning-fast draw with any method of carrying a side arm. By long habit, smooth really does work out to be pretty fast for my purposes. There's no smoothness involved in withdrawing a Shield from trousers front pockets.

Pocket holsters don't complement ease of access when seated in a car so pocket carry cannot be relied upon from a car seat. By unbuckling and with contortions I can at least get the smaller handguns out of the Nemesis. I can forget withdrawing the Shield unless I get out of the car.

I think my brother-in-law carries a similarly-sized Kahr in a Nemesis. Perhaps I need to try the old familiar Nemesis model, one that fits the Shield. I'm thinking that the Shield is a mite too large for effective pocket carry no matter the holster chosen, unless one doesn't mind fiddling a bit with his draw.

The Sticky Holster is well-made of modern materials. It's not any larger than it has to be for use with the Shield. I really think it's the size of the pistol. I'd try another Sticky Holster model with one of my smaller handguns.

The Sticky Holster claims to double as an IWB holster. An accessory attachment to convert it for ankle holster use may be purchased as well. I've not yet tried using the hoslter IWB and don't have the ankle holster attachment. I don't see carrying a Shield on my ankle.

Anyone else carrying Shields and similar pistols in a front pants pocket who would have a recommendation?

Jeans are the toughest test of both drawing and concealing the Shield.
Sorry, but that pic just screams "gun" to me. Granted I'm looking for it but that is just standing, not moving or anything. Love my Shield, but it ain't going in my jeans (or any other) pocket. I'll reserve my TCP for pocket carry and my Shield on my hip at 3:00 if that is what I decide to carry.

Reactions: Tennessee Jed

·
Banned
429 Posts
Shield is TOO BIG for PC.
Bodyguard or similar micro gun would be better.
I have some shorts that my shield will fit in the pocket of but it just doesnt "work" for me

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with Rainsong. It's the butt end of the Shield that really stands out in that picture, right below the pocket rivet.

Might be just me, because when I pocket carry it is usually to be ultra discrete, and I am hyper conscious about how a gun prints in my pocket. I'm still always concerned about the right angles and sharp edges most semi autos have that show through. That consciousness leads to spotting pocket carry that others might not notice.

However, that printing might not be of concern to you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I pocket carry the XDS 3.3 and use either a Desantis or Stick holster. I have no problems with either holster and the benefit of the sticky if I need to move to IWB it can serve that purpose as well for the time being. Good luck in your experimenting with it.

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with Rainsong. It's the butt end of the Shield that really stands out in that picture, right below the pocket rivet.

Might be just me, because when I pocket carry it is usually to be ultra discrete, and I am hyper conscious about how a gun prints in my pocket. I'm still always concerned about the right angles and sharp edges most semi autos have that show through. That consciousness leads to spotting pocket carry that others might not notice.

However, that printing might not be of concern to you.
Printing concerns me as no one needs to know I'm carrying. Combine the printing issue with poor pistol access and this method of carrying the Shield is looking like a non-starter. Put away the pocket-carried Shield and pocket-carried a Smith & Wesson Model 649 in its De Santis Nemesis holster to Wednesday night church devotional service and was happy. The revolver hops right out of there when called for and the exterior appearance of the pocket doesn't indicate "gun."

I pocket carry a G43 everyday in jeans and no one notices. As far as car carry goes, if you think you might need it, pull gun and holster out of your pocket and wear it AIWB. That is what I like about the Romera/Sticky holster.

I also carry in this from time to time. Minimal Print Pocket Holster - C3 Tactical Solutions
My problem with this is that situations might cause me to need the gun before I have opportunity to "re-rig" as a result of thinking I might have need of the gun.

Since I'm carrying because I think I may have need, I might as well take advantage of the Shield's suitability as a dandy IWB pistol and carry it in one of two good IWB holsters kept on hand.

Thanks for the link to C3 which shows holster possibilities.

Reactions: Rainsong

·
Registered
292 Posts
Put away the pocket-carried Shield and pocket-carried a Smith & Wesson Model 649 in its De Santis Nemesis holster to Wednesday night church devotional service and was happy. The revolver hops right out of there when called for and the exterior appearance of the pocket doesn't indicate "gun."

That was EXACTLY where I landed on pocket carry after looking into various options. Either an S&W 642 or 638 in a DeSantis Nemesis. The only semi-auto I've found that works for me in a pocket holster is a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless, but that's a completely different topic.

Thanks for sharing your results on the Shield in a pocket holster. I was considering looking into that myself, but think I'll pass.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would not want to think about PC with my Shield. It's a little too large. It is great for IWB, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts