Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do pocket holsters offer any retention, or is the gun just sitting in them, completely loose, to help insure the holster doesn't come out with the gun?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Do pocket holsters offer any retention, or is the gun just sitting in them, completely loose, to help insure the holster doesn't come out with the gun?
All depends on the pocket holster, but most do provide retention. A generic Uncle Mike's may not. All my custom one's (K&D, HBE, Kramer, etc.) do have retention and required break-in.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You can get both kinds. Leather ones with full boning or nylon that are snug but not formed to the gun. Personally, I like ones that have a place for my thumb to push against the holster to remove the gun.
None are completely loose, if you're worried the gun will fall out in your pocket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get both kinds. Leather ones with full boning or nylon that are snug but not formed to the gun. Personally, I like ones that have a place for my thumb to push against the holster to remove the gun.
None are completely loose, if you're worried the gun will fall out in your pocket.
The reason I asked is the one I bought is completely loose.

It is from a well known maker. The holster has gun details (slide stop, ejection port) molded into it, so I expect somewhat of a close fit, but there is enough clearance so that if the holster is tipped past 90 degrees, the gun would easily slide out.

I email them about this and here is their responce:

The way this holster works is a different way. As I said we like to make every customer happy. We could make you another and not hand fit it out the door, you will just have a harder break in. Right now that gun in your pocket has a draw slick as ice which is what we want.

If you want another, its no problem at all. Let me know.

Should I accept their offer to make another one and "not hand fit it out the door" or do you think it should be fine the way it is? After all, just wearing jeans offers some retention, and if I am in dress pants I probably won't be getting too acrobatic anyway.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey racuda: Several threads on pocket holsters and I have actively posted on the thumb push design, specifically made by FIST. This may not help you correct your problem and current purchase, but I found just about all the present designs (particularly in loose pockets as opposed to tight jeans) to just move around much too much. They probably will not come out but the movement gives me bad vibes. Before I purchased the FIST I had a MIkes cheapo and had an appreciation for what bothered me, unlike your situation after the fact. Just look at the website for FIST and see their thumb push design and you will know what it is and why I am talking about it. Maybe your holster guy, if he wants you to be happy, can stitch a piece on the top/side of your holster that will present a "platform" for you to have your thumb push against as you withdraw your gun. If you go to "thumb push" on the internet you can see another mfgr who uses a piece of leather to "thicken" that part of the holster that allows the thumb to push against the holster, thus keeping it in place as you withdraw gun. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They do offer retention

Infact, most use a horn or sticky material to help the holster stay in your pocket when drawing the gun. This Alessi works very well and also does a great job keeping the gun positioned well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does have a "horn" and also sticky stuff on it. The holster does stay in my pocket very well. Of course it would stay in my pocket anyway because there is no retention whatsoever.

If you pick up your holstered gun by the grip, does the holster fall free? Mine does.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A question for anyone with a pocket holster: If you take your holstered firearm out of your pocket, and then grasp the gun by it's grip, does the holster stay put or fall free?:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
A question for anyone with a pocket holster: If you take your holstered firearm out of your pocket, and then grasp the gun by it's grip, does the holster stay put or fall free?:
Some stay on, some don't. I'm happy with the performance of all of them. They all stay put when I pull the gun from my pocket...Too much retention in a pocket holster, is not always a good thing...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only have one pocket holster - a Galco for a P3AT and the answer is 'No'. The holster does not fall off of the pistol when its out of my pocket and the pistol is held by the grip.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I have two pocket holsters; The Uncle Mike's requires that I hold the holster with my left hand, (while it's still in my pocket), so I can pull the gun out with my right hand. The KL Null holster only requires a slight push with the thumb to dislodge the pistol from the pocket holster. The holster stays put in both instances.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
Depends on the holster. 9 times out of 10, the Safariland I use with a J-frame will fall off in a situation as you described. With a .380 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, no way it is falling off.

BTW, all holsters have a useful life. When the get too worn, replace them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I do a little boning around the trigger to give a holster more retention and that seems to work for me. I have enough retention that if you hold the holster with fully loaded gun upside down, the gun stays in the holster. Its not like you can shake it and it will stay there, but it will give retention. To much molding and its harder to come out.

I also add a thumb pushoff to help facilitate removal of the gun. Many pocket holster have a tab or some material under the grip of the gun as it is in your pocket. You can pactice drawing an (unloaded) gun. To help, as you draw the gun pull it back a little towards your butt, rather than pulling straight up. This will allow the material or tab of the holster to catch on the bottom of the opening of the pocket. That should help even with softer material holsters.

I like to send a holster just slightly tight and let the individual lossen it if they want. They cant tighten it if it's too loose.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
My Rough Out pocket holsters are wet formed (like all my other holsters) for the gun to keep the gun with no slop front to back. Generally they will be tight to begin with and will require some break in.

I would recommend taking the holster maker up on your desire for a new holster that meets your requirements.:yup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use the Don Hume pocket holster for my Kel-Tec and the pistol fits snugly and it has never loosened up. The holster has a hook made into the bottom and hooks the pocket when the pistol is drawn. I come out of the pocket pistol only every time I practice the draw. I do like the hook.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Yes mine does. I have a desantis nemesis IIRC for my P3at. No retention what so ever. It has never come out of my pocket. Even wearing it around the house with sweats and sitting in a recliner.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I haven't needed it. but you can put friction tape around your cheap holster to add grip in your pocket. When it stops gripping, simply replace it. Friction tape is the sticky cloth tape usually 1/2" wide available in hardware stores (at least it used to be).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The reason I asked is the one I bought is completely loose.

It is from a well known maker. The holster has gun details (slide stop, ejection port) molded into it, so I expect somewhat of a close fit, but there is enough clearance so that if the holster is tipped past 90 degrees, the gun would easily slide out.

I email them about this and here is their responce:

The way this holster works is a different way. As I said we like to make every customer happy. We could make you another and not hand fit it out the door, you will just have a harder break in. Right now that gun in your pocket has a draw slick as ice which is what we want.

If you want another, its no problem at all. Let me know.

Should I accept their offer to make another one and "not hand fit it out the door" or do you think it should be fine the way it is? After all, just wearing jeans offers some retention, and if I am in dress pants I probably won't be getting too acrobatic anyway.
That's a very generous and customer-oriented offer by the maker!

Regarding what to do, you really need to make that call yourself based on how you want it to fit and considering if there are situations where retention could be an issue.

As for me, I prefer the pocket holster I have, which basically has the pistol sitting in it with little or nearly zero retention. I've been in a lot of situations and positions of sitting in cars, restaurants, etc. and never felt it would come out. And I'm too old and busted up to engage in running, jumping or other activities that would bounce it out. If I'm ever in a body position that would let it fall out I'm not wearing it...heh.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Too much retention could be a bad thing. The last thing i want to happen is to reach into my pocket to draw my pocket pistol only to have the holster come out still attached to the gun. I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my LCP, P380, P32, and Rohrbaugh and have had no problems with any of them coming loose or falling out of my pocket

1 - 20 of 23 Posts