Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a pocket pistol to carry on a day to day basis. I have a XD .45 compact but I don't carry it as often as I should because it feels huge on me and usually I am running out the door and don't stop to get it on my belt.(I know I'm gonna get flak for this) :frown:
Back on topic. I have been looking for a good pocket pistol. I have looked at a Beretta Tomcat a bit, but mostly because I have a strange love for that gun. I am looking more toward an automatic, but any advice is appreciated. Any information on decent associated holsters would be nice as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I carry the KelTec P11 in my front pocket with a Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I find I can carry it in most pants, except tight jeans.

It is the smallest 12+1, 9mm that is within most people's budget. It has a very loooooong trigger with a pull about 12-15lbs., but that just takes some getting used to. Mine has been very reliable.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Kahr PM9. Its small but still feels and shoots like a real handgun. And its a 9mm not a .380. Mine has been a great little pistol and along with my S&W J frame is one of the best small CCW options going IMO. You really need to look at these. Just don't go bargin hunting and cheap with your CCW handgun. Get a quality made gun.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You might try a search, there are lots 'o threads discussing the question.

There are plenty of good options out there. Keltec P3 AT, Ruger LCP, J frame snubbie, and my personal favorite, the Seecamp. Just slightly bigger are some of the small 9's like the Kahr's, Keltec, and Rohrbaugh.

The Beretta has a reputation for somewhat spotty reliability, though I'm sure there are those that are perfectly happy with theirs. It's also much heavier than many of the other options out there. No sense carrying a boat anchor around if you don't have to.

Nothing beats the convenience of a pocket gun. Good luck in finding the right one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keltec P3AT , Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, magazine finger extension, 6+1
Hornady Critical defense ammo. This truly fits in any pocket and you won't want to leave the house without it.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
My favorite pocket gun is a j-frame sized .357.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Flext - spend ~ $60 on a Smartcarry holster and wear it at 11 o'clock. You will be able to carry your XD, which is a much better pistol than any pocket gun. The Smartcarry will distribute the weight around your hips, and since it has its own belt, won't drag your pants down.

It only takes a minute to put it on - if you can't swing that, maybe you shouldn't be carrying at all (there's your flak... :hand5: joking!)

Seriously, it's cheaper than getting another gun, and you get your money back (minus a few bucks shipping) if you don't like it.

Bet you'll like it though!:yup:

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I occasionally carry a 642 in the pocket although if I were to down size, it would be to a Seecamp. The build quality has always impressed me. ~
Regards,

·
Registered
371 Posts
I carry a Ruger LCP everyday.
Agree that if you have the extra room
that a Kahr 9mm would be a great choice.
Good to hear you are looking for something to
carry everyday. In most cases its the gun someone
has on them and ready that is going to be used. Not the
gun at home in a safe or the car's glove compartment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kahr PM9. Its small but still feels and shoots like a real handgun. And its a 9mm not a .380. Mine has been a great little pistol and along with my S&W J frame is one of the best small CCW options going IMO. You really need to look at these. Just don't go bargin hunting and cheap with your CCW handgun. Get a quality made gun.

Where did you get that pinky extension for your magazine?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec PF-9. It is a tad big for pocket carry, however I have done it on occasion. If you want to pocket carry on a regular basis, I'd recommend a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I usually do the Ruger LCP in a High Noon pocket holster or sometimes I will tote my PPK/S in a Galco pocket Holster. Its alittle heavy sometimes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For pocket carry I have the PM9 at the top of my list followed by the j-frame platform. I have a P3AT, but it almost never gets out of the safe any more, and when it does it is only as a BUG.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I go a little bit bigger than the micro guns. I often pocket carry a Glock 27 in cargo pants and khaki's.

I

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Ruger LCP .380. Low cost and a good performer. Higher end. Sig p238 .380, Sea Camp .380, Kahr PM9. The Kahr PM9 stands out because of the 9mm round. All would be a good pocket pistol, but the Kahr can be finicky and some owners don't trust um. YMMV.

I have the LCP in a Blackhawk 1 pocker holster and it's a good BUG for $300 and change. The Kahr's are around $600 and up depending on sights. The Sea Camp and the Sig are close in price but on the high side IMO for a BUG. I want a Sig because of the 1911 platform. The .380 calibre is on the low end for DC but with +ps and JHP, it'll do its job.

Allot of the folks here will have great suggestions for the holster, but finding the perfect one to suit your taste will no doubt add to your holster collection. Most of the pistols mentioned here will have a specific holster available, as well as a good selection form other leather crafters. Cheers :bier:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts