Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carry has been a Glock 30 SF. Now I'm looking for something smaller for better concealed carry. Seems subcompact in .45 isn't really a choice since they are all almost as big and as heavy as my Glock. Was hoping to stay with .45 but it looks like 9mm w/ hollow point ammo is a more realistic option.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
smaller than a G30...... in .45 the springfield XDS, but good luck finding one. Check ojut the M&P shield 9mm or 40, beretta nano 9mm, Kahr cm9 or CM40, Ruger LC9,

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I like the SCCY 9mm. I know they get bashed on here a lot, but those that own them don't have one bad thing to say about them. Small, lightweight, 10+1, made in the USA, lifetime warranty that goes with the gun and not the owner and around $300. Hard to beat.

Reactions: rugergunner

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Have you looked at a snub nose revolver? .357 mag is a potent pocket pistol.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Springfield XD-s which is a .45
Sig P938 which is a 9mm (even with the optional 7 round mag it still easily fits in a pocket)

With a DeSantis pocket holster, either one is suitable for pocket carry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If a .45 is your preference, I can pocket carry the Springfield XDs. It's not my preferred way to carry that gun though. My normal go to for pocket carry is the Kahr CM9. Which is just the less expensive version of the PM9.

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
There is size, and then there is weight.

LCP (or similar) - will always work in the pocket

LCR (or light weight J frame) - will sometimes work, but with some pockets it may be too large. You may be able to work around that by having a tailor deepen the pocket a bit.

My experience with pocket-sized 9mm pistols has not been good, from a reliability and manual-of-arms perspective. Then there is the weight.

IMHO, I would stick with the .380/.38 options for pocket duty. I frequently carry a LCR in my right pocket, backed up by the LCP in the left.

Reactions: Cory1022

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've pocket carried an Airweight J Frame 642 for years. .38+p Gold Dots designed for short barrels are strong medicine without the negatives of a .357mag in a lightweight revolver on the shooter. There's a reason they're so popular.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I really like my S&W 642. Proven platform,usually available ammo, easy to use. Just works for me.

Reactions: Camjr

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Kahr cm9
Bersa bp9cc
S&W 9mm shield
Ruger lc9
And sig has a few but I cant remember the number
These are a few that Id look into.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Thanks this gun (SCCY 9) is of interest to me.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I just picked up a new generation LCP. Real sights and a trigger that is at least as good - dare I say better than a Kahr - smooth and crisp. You heard it here first folks.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
There is size, and then there is weight.

LCP (or similar) - will always work in the pocket

LCR (or light weight J frame) - will sometimes work, but with some pockets it may be too large. You may be able to work around that by having a tailor deepen the pocket a bit.

My experience with pocket-sized 9mm pistols has not been good, from a reliability and manual-of-arms perspective. Then there is the weight.

IMHO, I would stick with the .380/.38 options for pocket duty. I frequently carry a LCR in my right pocket, backed up by the LCP in the left.
I am totally on your wave dude. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I have one gun suitable for pocket carry and thats a 442 that I carry in a Mika holster in the summer months when all I usually wear is cargo shorts. It works great with that area of wardrobe, but jeans...whole different story. I have tried wearing it in a jeans pocket and the grip sticks out and is quite visible, so that isn't going to work. To me, the only semi-auto pistols that I think I could probably wear in a jeans pocket would be an LCP or maybe a P380. My cousin loaned me his TCP and that would probably work, but it wasn't very fun to shoot...and I realize that something like that would be a 'carry a lot, shoot little' gun.

I have been contemplating getting myself a true pocket gun for quite some time, but can't make up my mind on what I want, so I'm still on the fence.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a G 36 that I enjoy carrying. Like you, I wanted something smaller for summer. I went with the LC9 with Laser. Then, I purchased two Remora's (one that would be used for the laser and one with out).

I'm happy!!!!

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts